Old August 29th 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Got Earthlink for a ISP? You might want to read this.

Well it is one of mine.

I have been having a number of problems of late with them...can't find
the email servers, pages not loading, dead time on the line and a live
chat session that rivals the best comedy you see on the television..it
was worthless.

Now I see this in the new....

I think I will be shopping around for a new ISP...any suggestions?

TMT

EarthLink to cut 900 jobs, close offices By GREG BLUESTEIN, Associated
Press Writer
Tue Aug 28

Internet service provider EarthLink Inc. said Tuesday that it would
cut 900 jobs - or about half its work force - and close four offices
in an effort to reduce operating costs. EarthLink shares climbed 7
percent on the news.

The moves come as the company continues struggling to generate
revenues as dial-up access customers turn to high-speed alternatives
from cable and phone companies.

More actions could be announced by the year's end but no more cuts are
expected, said Rolla P. Huff, the Atlanta-based company's president
and chief executive. As part of the plan, EarthLink also said it will
repurchase $200 million of its stock.

"While we see this as an important first step in unlocking the
underlying value that we believe is in our company, we are only eight
weeks into the process of repositioning EarthLink for the future," he
said. "These changes get our cost structure in line, but there is much
more to do."

Like many other Internet service providers with roots in dial-up
access, EarthLink has sought to diversify its revenue base.

EarthLink does resell some high-speed services, but phone companies in
particular have been able to offer cut-rate prices, particularly as
part of bundles with traditional long-distance and local calling
plans.

The company had counted on the right to sell customers access to
citywide wireless networks in exchange for helping cities build the
networks. But amid questions about customer demand and the
technology's performance, EarthLink announced in April that it was
reviewing new deployments while evaluating the performance of the
current rollouts in four cities.

Chicago officials said Tuesday that they will shelve a plan to blanket
the city's 228 square miles with wireless broadband Internet because
it is too costly and too few residents would use it. The city said its
negotiations with private-sector partners, including EarthLink, have
stalled because any citywide Wi-Fi system would require massive public
financing.

EarthLink's municipal Wi-Fi plans also face competition from an
emerging technology known as WiMax, which can blanket wider areas.

It also faced questions over disappointing results from its Helio
project, a wireless joint venture with SK Telecom of South Korea. The
company has already committed to invest $220 million in Helio and has
said it could spend another $50 million on the project, which was
blamed for quarterly losses.

In July, the company cut its fiscal year 2007 revenue estimate after
reporting hefty losses related to the Helio project.

The company said Tuesday it will close offices in Orlando, Fla.,
Knoxville, Tenn., Harrisburg, Pa., and San Francisco and
"substantially reduce its presence" in Atlanta and Pasadena, Calif.

EarthLink said it expects to save $25 million to $35 million through
the rest of the year because of the restructuring. The company
currently employs about 1,900 people.

Shares rose 48 cents to close at $7.34 in Tuesday trading.

The company also lowered its 2007 revenue outlook for the third time
this year. EarthLink said it now expects sales of $1.19 billion to
$1.21 billion - down from its previous forecast of $1.23 billion to
$1.24 billion. The company said it expects a full-year loss of $79
million to $109 million, excluding restructuring charges.

EarthLink also offered a warning for 2008, saying it expects
subscriber additions to slow.

The struggles were evident in the company's earnings. EarthLink posted
a $16.3 million loss last quarter.

Huff, who was appointed in June, is known by analysts for his
willingness to cut loose unprofitable projects. He told reporters
after he was named the company's leader that he would conduct a two-
month review of the company's businesses aimed at "getting a very
focused strategy."

EarthLink is hardly alone in its struggles.

Last August, Time Warner Inc.'s AOL decided to stop actively marketing
Internet access and start giving away AOL.com e-mail accounts,
software and other features once limited to paying customers. AOL is
trying to attract more advertising dollars on its free sites by doing
so.

Meanwhile, United Online Inc., the company behind NetZero and Juno,
has diversified by buying properties like United Airlines' MyPoints
loyalty program and Classmates.com. Parent company Classmates Media
Corp. recently filed for an initial public offering, though United
Online would remain the controlling stockholder.

___

On the Net:

http://www.earthlink.net

Old August 29th 07, 12:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article .com,
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I have been having a number of problems of late with them...can't find
the email servers, pages not loading, dead time on the line and a live
chat session that rivals the best comedy you see on the television..it
was worthless.......

I have been slammed into Earthlink twice. Get out fast, any way you
can. It's a real nuisance to change e-mail addresses but it's worth it
in the long run. Try a new isp for a month before cancelling your old
one, you may have to try several to get a good one.

Old August 29th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 28, 11:05 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

So far, I have had no problems or complaints with earthlink dial-up.
Its been about 8 years, now.

Hopefully that doesn't change.

Dave

Old August 29th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in
. 3.70:
snip
It came somewhat later than promised, and worked better than
guaranteed when finally installed, but whenever I attempted to check
on the status of the order, I was completely stymied by Earthlink's
impossible-to- navigate voice operated customer service facility.
They make it impossible to use, and I think it's intentional, in an
effort to shoo away the "trivial" calls.

Good technology run by nasty, unhelpful people in Pakistan.

LLoyd

Take a look at www.gethuman.com. This site lists a bunch of companies and
how to get through their voice mail to a real person. For Earthlink they
list the contact number as 888-327-8454 and then - Press 1; press 0 at
each prompt thereafter, ignoring messages as getting you to an operator.

Bill

Old August 29th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 06:01:34 -0700, wrote:

On the Net:

http://www.earthlink.net

So far, I have had no problems or complaints with earthlink dial-up.
Its been about 8 years, now.

Hopefully that doesn't change.

Dave

Its been about 10 or more for me. No issues to speak of. Well..they
did accidently delete my webpage once...shrug

Gunner
Old August 30th 07, 06:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 06:01:34 -0700, wrote:

On the Net:

http://www.earthlink.net

So far, I have had no problems or complaints with earthlink dial-up.
Its been about 8 years, now.

Hopefully that doesn't change.

Dave

Its been about 10 or more for me. No issues to speak of. Well..they
did accidently delete my webpage once...shrug

Gunner

They've had problems getting the word out when they change server setups.

And the customer service droids ain't that bright.

But the service itself is worth the occasional hassles.

Richard
Old August 31st 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Well it is one of mine.

I have been having a number of problems of late with them...can't find
the email servers, pages not loading, dead time on the line and a live
chat session that rivals the best comedy you see on the television..it
was worthless.

Now I see this in the new....

I think I will be shopping around for a new ISP...any suggestions?

TMT

EarthLink to cut 900 jobs, close offices By GREG BLUESTEIN, Associated
Press Writer
Tue Aug 28

Internet service provider EarthLink Inc. said Tuesday that it would
cut 900 jobs - or about half its work force - and close four offices
in an effort to reduce operating costs. EarthLink shares climbed 7
percent on the news.

You just don't get it, do you? Their business has changed, and they
have to change, along with it. They just don't need as amny people,
since more and more customers are either DSL, broadband, or Sat. It
took more people to support dialup. They have recently outsourced their
Usenet service to Supernews, which reduces their need for equipment, and
support personnel. Atlanta and Pasadena were the two Usenet news server
farms. The equipment that controls their network has evolved, as well.
That reduces the need for employees, too.

Drop them if you want, but of all the broadband available it is still
the best in my area. The other two are RR and AOL. I get eight user
email accounts, eight, 10 MB websites and a decent news server, with a
seven Mb/sec pipe for $49 a month. I had RR, and never want to go
back. A couple user accounts and 5 MB web space total. I ahd lots of
problems with their news servers, as well. AOL? Forget it! Same price
with no Usenet service! What do you propose to replace it? In fact,
both it and Brighthouse CATV was up and running during the hurricanes,
while DSL and dialup didn't work. They hired people with pickup trucks
to go out, with generators, to charge their UPS systems, even in areas
with no power. The rain was so bad that Dish and Direct TV were almost
useless.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old August 31st 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 31, 9:52 am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

[...]

Central Florida- Hide quoted text -

No Mike I do get it....but did you READ the article?

Layoffs for technology advances are a fact of living these
days....layoffs because of your business tanking affects
customers....these layoffs are because Earthlink had to lay them
off...

I have been monitoring my connections to Earthlink by pinging...and I
have been seeing some really bad return times....which I suspect
indicates crappy servers if they continue.

It would also explain many of the problems with not being able to
connect to mail servers and dropping bandwidth hogs like Ebay.

TMT

Old August 31st 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

No Mike I do get it....but did you READ the article?

Layoffs for technology advances are a fact of living these
days....layoffs because of your business tanking affects
customers....these layoffs are because Earthlink had to lay them
off...

I have been monitoring my connections to Earthlink by pinging...and I
have been seeing some really bad return times....which I suspect
indicates crappy servers if they continue.

It would also explain many of the problems with not being able to
connect to mail servers and dropping bandwidth hogs like Ebay.

TMT

Yes, I did read it, and a lot of other stuff on the Earthink.support
newsgroups. I don't have trouble accessing any of the Earthlink, or any
other email servers i use, other than the occasional few minute period
when they are doing upgrades. The do need to do some work on their DNS
servers, but you can always use an external DNS server, like open DNS.

An infected computer would be a better explanation of having trouble
connecting.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell