DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Best way to strip flaking paint on a trailer body and sheetmetal (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/212542-best-way-strip-flaking-paint-trailer-body-sheetmetal.html)

Larry Jaques August 30th 07 11:58 PM

Best way to strip flaking paint on a trailer body and sheetmetal

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:28:16 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:09:35 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Down to 90F? ;) It was 100F here today. How melted was Taft?

I dont know..Ive not been home for 3 weeks..worked straight through on
finishing up the Project...Ill be home Friday..with luck.

Ooh, a good paycheck this month, eh?

I tried my heated pressure washer
(Hotsie) and it didnt do much good.

Those don't have all that much high pressure, do they? I picked up a
Karcher 3kpsi PW last month and have used it 3 times already for
clients. It was a good investment.

They put out a pretty good pressure stream. Ehough to have stripped
all the paint off my old Rangers fraime ..

The last Hotsie I used put out more steam than it did pressure. I'd
give it maybe 500psi.

Any brand of stripper better than others, available from the big box
stores or paint supply places?

Jasco at the Borgs. Anything with Methylene Chloride (or was it MEK?
I forgot.) is the good stuff. It'll take off epoxies and
polyurethanes, too. It's $30/gallon, though.

Cringe.....

But that $30 saves you at least a full day's work.

Try brake fluid first, though. It's cheaper (if not free) from the
brake shop. Another way to stretch your stripper is to put a couple
layers of newsprint on top. It helps keep it from evaporating too
quickly.

Not a bad idea!

Which, the brake fluid or the newsprint?

Do the voices in my head bother you?

Too_Many_Tools August 31st 07 12:19 AM

Best way to strip flaking paint on a trailer body and sheetmetal

On Aug 29, 6:25 am, "Johnno" jjohnson61atoptusnetdotcomdotau wrote:
Suggestions are gladly considered

Gunner

Gunner, I have done this using paint stripper, the trick is to tape over any
gaps and edges, and use the stripper only on the big areas, keep it out of
the cracks and crevices, and at least half an inch back from any edge. If
the stripper goes into or around a door edge, it will triple your time to
clean it up and fix the paint in there. Use newspaper on the ground under
the edges of the body, then just roll it up, no mess. Do it in the shade,
the sun dries the stripper out too fast. Hose off the rest.

Once the paint is gone from the main panels, sand the remaining bits around
the edges using an orbital or DA sander, it will dissappear in no time. Run
the sander over the main panels, to give the new paint something to stick
to, P80 or 100 grit freecut paper. Give the insides a quick rub over with
fine scotchbrite, clean it off and it's ready for paint.

I had a friend who did this quite often, he could strip the paint off a car
in a couple of hours in a dinner suit, and not get dirty. OK, the dinner
suit is an exageration, but it was amazing to watch, I just gave you his
method.

regards,
John

Good technique...thanks for sharing.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools August 31st 07 12:23 AM

Best way to strip flaking paint on a trailer body and sheetmetal

On Aug 29, 12:34 pm, Gunner wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:25:43 +1000, "Johnno"

[...]

Thanks guys! I think Ill use the stripper method, after the sun has
gone down and the thing has cooled. I tried my heated pressure washer
(Hotsie) and it didnt do much good.

Any brand of stripper better than others, available from the big box
stores or paint supply places?

Gunner- Hide quoted text -

Apply the stripper and cover it with anything to slow
evaporation...newspaper, wax paper...even a old sheet....just don't
put it back on your bed...;).

Hot weather causes the stripper to evaporate far too quickly.

Also if you are goingt to spray paint, wait for it to cool down...I
have had many finishes ruined by painting when it was too hot...call
me impatient.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools August 31st 07 12:26 AM

Best way to strip flaking paint on a trailer body and sheetmetal

On Aug 29, 8:09 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:34:05 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

--

According to our strength of character and our clarity of vision, we will
endure, we will succeed, we will have contributed something to make life

Anything with Methylene Chloride (or was it MEK?
I forgot.) is the good stuff.

True...and it will screw up your liver fast.

And if your liver already problems..some of us drink too much...it
won't take much to put you six feet under.

Use protection....really.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools August 31st 07 12:40 AM

wrote:
[...]

Actually if you apply stripper, cover with a sheet, cover with wax
paper, let it work, drink Mountain Dew, then move the stripper
impegnanted sheet to the next part, repeat...the stripper will go a
very long way...the Mountain Dew well I can't do miracles.

Oh yeah about methylene chloride, don't use it if you are
pregnant. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichloromethane

TMT

Ed Huntress August 31st 07 01:21 AM

Best way to strip flaking paint on a trailer body and sheetmetal

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I cover methylene chloride stripper, and my homemade lye-based house
stripper, with cheap polyethylene drop cloths -- the 99-cent kind. It works
very well.

--
Ed Huntress

Gunner[_2_] August 31st 07 01:28 AM

Best way to strip flaking paint on a trailer body and sheetmetal

wrote:

Down to 90F? ;) It was 100F here today. How melted was Taft?

I dont know..Ive not been home for 3 weeks..worked straight through on
finishing up the Project...Ill be home Friday..with luck.

Ooh, a good paycheck this month, eh?

Frankly..Ive made more on the Project in 4 months..than I grossed all
of last year..or really close.

My creditors are in love with me.

I tried my heated pressure washer
(Hotsie) and it didnt do much good.

Those don't have all that much high pressure, do they? I picked up a
Karcher 3kpsi PW last month and have used it 3 times already for
clients. It was a good investment.

They put out a pretty good pressure stream. Ehough to have stripped
all the paint off my old Rangers fraime ..

The last Hotsie I used put out more steam than it did pressure. I'd
give it maybe 500psi.

This is not a steamer..but a HOT water pressure washer. Or the
injector is adjusted wrongly.

Any brand of stripper better than others, available from the big box
stores or paint supply places?

Jasco at the Borgs. Anything with Methylene Chloride (or was it MEK?
I forgot.) is the good stuff. It'll take off epoxies and
polyurethanes, too. It's $30/gallon, though.

Cringe.....

But that $30 saves you at least a full day's work.

True indeed.

Try brake fluid first, though. It's cheaper (if not free) from the
brake shop. Another way to stretch your stripper is to put a couple
layers of newsprint on top. It helps keep it from evaporating too
quickly.

Not a bad idea!

Which, the brake fluid or the newsprint?

Both of course!!

Gunner

Do the voices in my head bother you?

Gunner[_2_] August 31st 07 01:29 AM

Best way to strip flaking paint on a trailer body and sheetmetal

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:26:08 -0700, Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

.some of us drink too much...it

TMT

That explains much

Gunner, teetotaler

Too_Many_Tools August 31st 07 01:34 AM

wrote:
[...]

very long way...the Mountain Dew well I can't do miracles....yet.

Larry Jaques August 31st 07 01:53 PM

Best way to strip flaking paint on a trailer body and sheetmetal

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:28:04 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

wrote:

Down to 90F? ;) It was 100F here today. How melted was Taft?

I dont know..Ive not been home for 3 weeks..worked straight through on
finishing up the Project...Ill be home Friday..with luck.

Ooh, a good paycheck this month, eh?

Frankly..Ive made more on the Project in 4 months..than I grossed all
of last year..or really close.

My creditors are in love with me.

If you're that rich now, you should -have- any more creditors. Hmm,
unless that's how you met the tall panter the other night...

This is not a steamer..but a HOT water pressure washer. Or the
injector is adjusted wrongly.

Oh, OK. I've heard about dem jobbers but haven't seen one yet.

Not a bad idea!

Which, the brake fluid or the newsprint?

Both of course!!

Bueno, bwana. Have fun!

Do the voices in my head bother you?