Old August 29th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best way to strip flaking paint on a trailer body and sheetmetal

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:07:19 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

What is the best way to strip off the old paint? My sandblaster buddy
is busy as hell

Buy a couple gallons of paint stripper?

Suggestions are gladly considered

Never done it, but brake fluid is reported to strip paint. Knowing
your scrounging bent, maybe you could get some gallons of used brake
fluid for free from a store like AutoZone that recycles it.

RWL

Old August 29th 07, 04:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
Send it out to get hot dipped. Paint it quick!

Man, I can't believe you don't have a brush to sell for the job. VBG

My 2 cents, get a sandblaster. "The Kid" tried the paint remover a few
years back, what a god awful mess.

Karl

Gunner's an old man, that much brushing in that heat would kill him or make
him drink too many Mountain Dews...too much caffeine!

Old August 29th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:07:19 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

Ive mated the "utility body" I swapped for, with the trailer I
scrounged up and am now at the point I need to do something about
painting, prior to wiring and bling.

The utility body..your typical Reading plumbers truck body, all bins
and whatnot, has badly peeling paint. While the base metal is
sound..it looks nasty.

What is the best way to strip off the old paint? My sandblaster buddy
is busy as hell and Ive been afraid that sandblasting may warp the
thin metal doors. Hitting it with a cup brush for a half day in 105F
heat is also unattractive.....and is likely to put swirls in the sheet
metal doors.

Buy a couple gallons of paint stripper?

A gallon of used brake fluid from the brake shop will do the trick.
Then wash with lacquer thinner ($50 for 5 gallons) and paint.

--

According to our strength of character and our clarity of vision, we will
endure, we will succeed, we will have contributed something to make life
Old August 29th 07, 07:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The gnarly knotted type wire wheels 5-6" dia on a 4" angle grinder will
strip 1" swaths at a time to bare metal with little effort and heat
generation. It goes quick. Forget the brush type cones or wheels. Eye,
ear, and breathing protection required. Finish to 80 grit, prime. Finish
to 220, paint.
JR
Dweller in the cellar
stripped my whole Roadster to bare metal this way- kicks ass.
Gunner wrote:

Ive mated the "utility body" I swapped for, with the trailer I
scrounged up and am now at the point I need to do something about
painting, prior to wiring and bling.

The utility body..your typical Reading plumbers truck body, all bins
and whatnot, has badly peeling paint. While the base metal is
sound..it looks nasty.

What is the best way to strip off the old paint? My sandblaster buddy
is busy as hell and Ive been afraid that sandblasting may warp the
thin metal doors. Hitting it with a cup brush for a half day in 105F
heat is also unattractive.....and is likely to put swirls in the sheet
metal doors.

Buy a couple gallons of paint stripper?

Suggestions are gladly considered

Gunner

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Old August 29th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Suggestions are gladly considered

Gunner

Gunner, I have done this using paint stripper, the trick is to tape over any
gaps and edges, and use the stripper only on the big areas, keep it out of
the cracks and crevices, and at least half an inch back from any edge. If
the stripper goes into or around a door edge, it will triple your time to
clean it up and fix the paint in there. Use newspaper on the ground under
the edges of the body, then just roll it up, no mess. Do it in the shade,
the sun dries the stripper out too fast. Hose off the rest.

Once the paint is gone from the main panels, sand the remaining bits around
the edges using an orbital or DA sander, it will dissappear in no time. Run
the sander over the main panels, to give the new paint something to stick
to, P80 or 100 grit freecut paper. Give the insides a quick rub over with
fine scotchbrite, clean it off and it's ready for paint.

I had a friend who did this quite often, he could strip the paint off a car
in a couple of hours in a dinner suit, and not get dirty. OK, the dinner
suit is an exageration, but it was amazing to watch, I just gave you his
method.

regards,
John

Old August 29th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 29, 7:25 am, "Johnno" jjohnson61atoptusnetdotcomdotau wrote:
[...]

That's the way I've done it using stripper. More than likely the body
is galvanized and the correct primer wasn't used if it's flaking
badly. I've even stripped entire bodies just with a single edge razor
blade/holder without stripper because the primer adhesion was so poor.

Old August 29th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:25:43 +1000, "Johnno"
[...]

Thanks guys! I think Ill use the stripper method, after the sun has
gone down and the thing has cooled. I tried my heated pressure washer
(Hotsie) and it didnt do much good.

Any brand of stripper better than others, available from the big box
stores or paint supply places?

Gunner
Old August 29th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 29, 1:34 pm, Gunner wrote:
[...]

Gunner- Hide quoted text -

Zip-Strip works good. There's also another called Clean-Strip and I
believe one or the other is available at HomeyD and Lowes. Make sure
you put it on even and thick. It's best to let it sit on as long as
possible without it drying up too much. I always used a single edge
razor blade on a holder, but you have to develop a "feel" because
it'll tend to dig into the metal. It's also very important to
neutralize the surface after you have the paint off. I just used
clean water, dried it, gave it a lacquer thinner wipe and primered.
If the body is galvanized make sure you use primer for it (I always
used Dupont Variprime) otherwise you might end up with poor adhesion
again. G/L and enjoy!

Old August 30th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:34:05 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

Thanks guys! I think Ill use the stripper method, after the sun has
gone down and the thing has cooled.

Down to 90F? It was 100F here today. How melted was Taft?

I tried my heated pressure washer
(Hotsie) and it didnt do much good.

Those don't have all that much high pressure, do they? I picked up a
Karcher 3kpsi PW last month and have used it 3 times already for
clients. It was a good investment.

Any brand of stripper better than others, available from the big box
stores or paint supply places?

Jasco at the Borgs. Anything with Methylene Chloride (or was it MEK?
I forgot.) is the good stuff. It'll take off epoxies and
polyurethanes, too. It's $30/gallon, though.

Try brake fluid first, though. It's cheaper (if not free) from the
brake shop. Another way to stretch your stripper is to put a couple
layers of newsprint on top. It helps keep it from evaporating too
quickly.

Old August 30th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:09:35 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:34:05 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

Thanks guys! I think Ill use the stripper method, after the sun has
gone down and the thing has cooled.

Down to 90F? It was 100F here today. How melted was Taft?

I dont know..Ive not been home for 3 weeks..worked straight through on
finishing up the Project...Ill be home Friday..with luck.

I tried my heated pressure washer
(Hotsie) and it didnt do much good.

Those don't have all that much high pressure, do they? I picked up a
Karcher 3kpsi PW last month and have used it 3 times already for
clients. It was a good investment.

They put out a pretty good pressure stream. Ehough to have stripped
all the paint off my old Rangers fraime ..

Any brand of stripper better than others, available from the big box
stores or paint supply places?

Jasco at the Borgs. Anything with Methylene Chloride (or was it MEK?
I forgot.) is the good stuff. It'll take off epoxies and
polyurethanes, too. It's $30/gallon, though.

Cringe.....

Try brake fluid first, though. It's cheaper (if not free) from the
brake shop. Another way to stretch your stripper is to put a couple
layers of newsprint on top. It helps keep it from evaporating too
quickly.

Not a bad idea!

Gunner