Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Explosive gases

A few days back somebody posted a link to an outfit that sells mole
eradicating equipment (extremely spendy). Basically you fill their tunnels
with a combination of gas and oxygen and then light the stuff. They have a
video that shows their tunnels exploding and dirt flying about 2 feet into
the air. I would like to make my own setup.

Question:
What combination of fuel/air gives you an explosion. Can I assume that the
same combination that gives me a neutral flame with my Oxy/Acet setup will
provide an explosion. I once tried to get rid of gophers by letting propane
into their tunnel. I simply place a hose in their hole and opened the
propane bottle valve. Left it on for about 10 minutes then lit it with a
match. Got an initial small 'whoosh' upon lighting and it subsequently
burned for about 5-6 minutes. I got a small flame at my point of entry and
at two other remote sites (10-15 foot radius). Certainly no explosion and
plenty of time for the gopher(s) to get away.

Even if I come up with an explosive mixture, won't these critters simply
move on because of the odor? They'll probably be gone before I have a
chance to strike a match.

Comments welcome. Suggestions that I am being stupid and might endanger my
life are also welcome.

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary writes:

Can I assume that the
same combination that gives me a neutral flame with my Oxy/Acet setup
will provide an explosion.

A extremely energetic one. Hugely, lethally risky. Ever seen a toy carbide
cannon go bang? Imagine that multiplied by orders of magnitude.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Ever seen a toy carbide
cannon go bang?

What's one of those?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 28, 2:17 am, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
[...]

I have filled 30gal trashbags with acet+ox, most impressive explosion
with no 'containment' around it. It seems like it would be a bit much-
you'll get much more than a little dirt geyser, you'll likely get a
trench.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DT DT is offline

I have filled 30gal trashbags with acet+ox, most impressive explosion
with no 'containment' around it. It seems like it would be a bit much-
you'll get much more than a little dirt geyser, you'll likely get a
trench.

A guy was killed in our neighborhood about ten years ago doing just that. He
was placing the bags inside a garbage can and filling them before lighting them
off. One when off from static spark while he was leaning over to fill it and it
took him out.

--
Dennis

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:21:41 -0500, DT wrote:

I have filled 30gal trashbags with acet+ox, most impressive explosion
with no 'containment' around it. It seems like it would be a bit much-
you'll get much more than a little dirt geyser, you'll likely get a
trench.

A guy was killed in our neighborhood about ten years ago doing just that. He
was placing the bags inside a garbage can and filling them before lighting them
off. One when off from static spark while he was leaning over to fill it and it
took him out.

Sounds like a fun neighborhood.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DT wrote:

A guy was killed in our neighborhood about ten years ago doing just that.
He was placing the bags inside a garbage can and filling them before
lighting them off.

Maybe this helps in the decision:
http://tinyurl.com/2nt3qr

VEG

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 28, 6:17 am, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

. I once tried to get rid of gophers by letting propane
into their tunnel. I simply place a hose in their hole and opened the
propane bottle valve. Left it on for about 10 minutes then lit it with a
match. Got an initial small 'whoosh' upon lighting and it subsequently
burned for about 5-6 minutes. I got a small flame at my point of entry and
at two other remote sites (10-15 foot radius). Certainly no explosion and
plenty of time for the gopher(s) to get away.

Even if I come up with an explosive mixture, won't these critters simply
move on because of the odor? They'll probably be gone before I have a
chance to strike a match.

Why did you light it? The propane displaced the
oxygen in the hole so that if you had simply kicked
some dirt over the top the little buggers would have
asphyxiated. You could probably throw some dry ice
down the holes and cover them for a similar effect.

Propane is oderless to people. Dunno about gophers
but I doubt that many have had the hazardous atmosphere
training needed to recognize the hazard and evacuate.

There used to be a sort of gas grenade sold for killing
burrowing animals. These were chemical balls with
a wick. You'd light one, throw it down the hole and
cover it. ISTR they produced cyanide gas.

--

FF

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to my brother, he once knocked the flame off his torch
and then filled a balloon with the ox-acet mixture. He then taped
it to the shop door and pushed a lit cigarette into it. The explosion
knocked him across the shop and on his ass. The door was blown
off the hinges too. As he is quite an accomplished BS artist he may
have embellished this tale a bit.

Art

wrote in message
oups.com...
[snip]

I have filled 30gal trashbags with acet+ox, most impressive explosion
with no 'containment' around it. It seems like it would be a bit much-
you'll get much more than a little dirt geyser, you'll likely get a
trench.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I was in the local tech college workshop when there as an almighty
bang, the lecturer ran in to see what had happened. It seemed some
trainee machinist had filled his lunch bag with OA mix and lit it
resulting in the bang. The trainee was stunned but OK and his hearing
was not great for awhile. The lecturer didn't even bollock him as he
thought he had learned his lesson and come out OK and wouldn't be stupid
enough to do it again.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
A few days back somebody posted a link to an outfit that sells mole
eradicating equipment (extremely spendy). Basically you fill their tunnels
with a combination of gas and oxygen and then light the stuff. They have a
video that shows their tunnels exploding and dirt flying about 2 feet into
the air. I would like to make my own setup.

Question:
What combination of fuel/air gives you an explosion. Can I assume that the
same combination that gives me a neutral flame with my Oxy/Acet setup will
provide an explosion.

Roughly Stoichiometric mixtures of oxygen+acetylene will produce a HUGE
explosion. The risk of something going wrong seems too high. Even
stoichiometric propane+air is a powerful bang. Remember, those mole
tunnels go WAY underground, and hold many liters of gas.

Some gases have very wide explosive mixture ranges, some are much narrower.

Some idiot friends of mine filled a dry cleaning bag with
oxygen+acetylene and DROVE it to behind the local high school, while
some of them were SMOKING!!!! Amazingly, they didn't turn themselves
into the next edition of the Darwin awards, and set the thing up with a
model rocket igniter. When it went off, they couldn't hear anything for
a couple hours, and blew out windows for blocks. This was all over 40
years ago. I'm not sure it was a very big bag, either!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 28, 3:21 pm, "WoodButcher" wrote:
According to my brother, he once knocked the flame off his torch
and then filled a balloon with the ox-acet mixture. He then taped
it to the shop door and pushed a lit cigarette into it. The explosion
knocked him across the shop and on his ass. The door was blown
off the hinges too. As he is quite an accomplished BS artist he may
have embellished this tale a bit.

Art

wrote in message

oups.com...
[snip]

I have filled 30gal trashbags with acet+ox, most impressive explosion
with no 'containment' around it. It seems like it would be a bit much-
you'll get much more than a little dirt geyser, you'll likely get a
trench.

Dave

Quart bag went off in my hands, no gloves, but with eye protection. No
injury, but did spend some time picking plastic bits out of my hair.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 28, 9:21 am, (DT) wrote:
I have filled 30gal trashbags with acet+ox, most impressive explosion
with no 'containment' around it. It seems like it would be a bit much-
you'll get much more than a little dirt geyser, you'll likely get a
trench.

A guy was killed in our neighborhood about ten years ago doing just that. He
was placing the bags inside a garbage can and filling them before lighting them
off. One when off from static spark while he was leaning over to fill it and it
took him out.

--
Dennis

Our shots were always filled by remote, ignited by remote, and always
placed out in the open, away from anything that could fly. All it did
was flatten the grass a bit.

I have to imagine that result could be changed dramatically by just a
small amount of confinement.

Filled via surgical tubing, torch head removed prior to firing,
ignition provided by 3 strands from a lamp-cord taped to the bag prior
to filling. The wire was clamped in some 'gator clips attached to an
extension cord. Plug that sucker in, and the white-hot copper, plus
the arc, guaranteed ignition.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What about propane/air mix from a non-burning Wal-Mart propane
torch. (open gas, but do not ignite). It should be explosive enough,
to blow out gophers, right?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There used to be a sort of gas grenade sold for killing
burrowing animals. These were chemical balls with
a wick. You'd light one, throw it down the hole and
cover it. ISTR they produced cyanide gas.

I once trapped a skunk in a live trap. I put a box over the trap and tossed
in one of those cyanide gopher bombs.
Twenty minute later I lifted the box off and greeted a very ****ed off skunk
covered in a yellow residue.
I had to resort to plan 'B'.
42

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Elson" wrote: (clip) When it went off, they couldn't hear anything
for a couple hours, and blew out windows for blocks. This was all over 40
years ago. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
About that same time I inflated a balloon from an acetyene torch, and set it
off in my shop with a match taped to the end of a yardstick. My ears are
still ringing (literally.) I was so impressed with what I had done, that I
did it again in my back yard for my kids to see. This time I weighted the
balloon with a rock, and used a long string to drag it toward a candle. (I
don't always make the same mistake again right away.) Neighbors came to the
windows, saying, "What was that?"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pat Pat is offline

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
A few days back somebody posted a link to an outfit that sells mole
eradicating equipment (extremely spendy). Basically you fill their tunnels
with a combination of gas and oxygen and then light the stuff. They have a
video that shows their tunnels exploding and dirt flying about 2 feet into
the air. I would like to make my own setup.

I have watched the video as well. Dirt flies everywhere. What the video
does not show is the mess it makes. They must only use it in farmer fields.
Once you learn how trapping works very well and cheaply.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:25:13 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a great way for a terrorist to blow up a building. Rent an
apartment in a high rise, rent O/A bottles, turn off all electricity,
fill the apartment with O/A, and strike a match. A scary thought.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Biggest home-made explosion I ever saw was a 55 gallon plastic drum,
stoichiometric o/a mix, model rocket engine and electric ignitor hooked
to a timer, set afloat in the middle of a lake. Wow!!

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 22:31:24 -0400, Steve Walker wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Did you catch a lot of stunned fish afterwards?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Biggest home-made explosion I ever saw was a 55 gallon plastic drum,
stoichiometric o/a mix, model rocket engine and electric ignitor hooked
to a timer, set afloat in the middle of a lake. Wow!!

Power fishing!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

WoodButcher wrote:
According to my brother, he once knocked the flame off his torch
and then filled a balloon with the ox-acet mixture. He then taped
it to the shop door and pushed a lit cigarette into it. The explosion
knocked him across the shop and on his ass. The door was blown
off the hinges too. As he is quite an accomplished BS artist he may
have embellished this tale a bit.

Art

That's the classic technique- get a neutral flame, pop it out with yout
glove, stick the torch in a short piece of pipe and wait a few seconds,
light the torch and stick it back in. Put a rag in one end of the pipe
and it'll go surprisingly far and fast. I wouldn't stuff a rag in a pipe
that's capped on one end though..

John

explosive situation? RayV Woodworking 61 April 11th 06 03:02 AM
Laminate back panels & flue gases Richard UK diy 0 February 24th 06 08:45 PM
venting water heater and boiler gases. [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 10th 05 12:29 AM
Vokera Compact 24 - Explosive ignition 1st time. [email protected] UK diy 1 July 12th 05 08:01 PM
Is it safe to use a propane torch with map gases? Tim Zimmerman Metalworking 10 February 16th 05 04:41 AM