Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Should I heat treat ?

I have machined some replacement bushings for a motorcycle swing arm . The
inner sleeve is 4140 steel approx. 1" in diameter, there will be an ampco 18
bushing 1.6" long riding on it . This unit will see maybe 20 degrees
rotation in normal use . I was originally planning on hardening the inner
(steel) sleeve before final sizing . I do have a light duty toolpost
grinder , and can get the proper stones . I'm at .008" -.010" oversize now
for a .002 clearance fit .
I'm wondering if I need to harden them as originally planned ... or if a
nicely ground finish without hardening will give acceptable wear - I only
wanna do this once . I do have what I need to treat these , I'm just trying
to be lazy ...

--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tony wrote:
How hard are the factory bushings?

"Snag" wrote in message
.. .
I have machined some replacement bushings for a motorcycle swing
arm .

The factory bushings are a rubber/silicone/steel unit , designed to absorb
vibration at the expense of handling . The early rubbermount Harley touring
models have a history of high speed handling problems , partly due to the
OEM swingarm pivot bushings . Aftermarket suppliers make something similar
to what I'm doing , but they're real spendy . I could have spent nearly a
thousand bucks on the mods I'm doing if I used their parts , materials have
cost me less than a c-note ...
I'm not in a great big hurry to finish these , won't be installing them
until this winter when I tear the bike down for other items that also need
attention .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If it's your own bike and you know about the issue, why not do it the
simple way and see if they wear excessively? I don't think it's
necessary to design bearings for long lifetime if you keep them
greased and can easily make replacements.

Comments, anyone?

jw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If these are replacing rubber bushings I don't see the need to heat treat.
However you may want to consider polyurethane bushings as a replacement,
like the off-roaders 4 wheelers use.

Tony

"Snag" wrote in message
news
Tony wrote:
How hard are the factory bushings?

"Snag" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tony wrote:
If these are replacing rubber bushings I don't see the need to heat
treat. However you may want to consider polyurethane bushings as a
replacement, like the off-roaders 4 wheelers use.

Tony

These bushing assemblies attach the front of the swingarm (rear fork , to
some) to the pivot shaft . This shaft attaches to the frame , and also
supports the rear of the engine/transmission assembly . This is an 800 pound
touring motorcycle ... and those composite bushing assemblies are quite a
bit more complicated than a "rubber bushing" .
--
Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:22:01 -0500, "Snag"
wrote:

Tony wrote:
If these are replacing rubber bushings I don't see the need to heat
treat. However you may want to consider polyurethane bushings as a
replacement, like the off-roaders 4 wheelers use.

These bushing assemblies attach the front of the swingarm (rear fork , to
some) to the pivot shaft . This shaft attaches to the frame , and also
supports the rear of the engine/transmission assembly . This is an 800 pound
touring motorcycle ... and those composite bushing assemblies are quite a
bit more complicated than a "rubber bushing" .

What you're making is similar to these, no? http://tinyurl.com/2el9xx
Those are delrin with high carbon steel sleeves. I didn't ask if
they're heat treated, but I suspect so.

Actually, I just pinged Kevin there and will letcha know.

Snarl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Tony wrote:
If these are replacing rubber bushings I don't see the need to heat
treat. However you may want to consider polyurethane bushings as a
replacement, like the off-roaders 4 wheelers use.

These bushing assemblies attach the front of the swingarm (rear
fork , to some) to the pivot shaft . This shaft attaches to the
frame , and also supports the rear of the engine/transmission
assembly . This is an 800 pound touring motorcycle ... and those
composite bushing assemblies are quite a bit more complicated than a
"rubber bushing" .

What you're making is similar to these, no?
http://tinyurl.com/2el9xx
Those are delrin with high carbon steel sleeves. I didn't ask if
they're heat treated, but I suspect so.

Actually, I just pinged Kevin there and will letcha know.

Snarl

Actually , the ones I've made are as close to the OEM cleve block
dimensions as I can get (a kind soul sent me some cad files ...wanna copy ?)
.. All the other small parts will still be used , including the compliance
ring on the outside of the unit .
I looked at the sta-bo and another , couldn't see from the pics where they
allow rotation between the swingarm and the pivot bolt . The inner sleeve on
these will be held captive between the tranny case and the outer rubber
mounts , just as original . The outer shell will rotate with the swing arm .
I haven't decided yet how I'm going to establish end play , I can either
press precisely , or set tthe outer to a preset depth and shim the thrust
faces .
I got all the stuff together to heat these , and still can't decide if
they really need it .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:40:44 -0500, "Snag"

wrote:

Tony wrote:
[...]

Yes please... that from D-rog? Addy is: BS 37 at snarls hog den dot
com. Remove th' spaces and change th' obvious.

. All the other small parts will still be used , including the compliance
ring on the outside of the unit .
I looked at the sta-bo and another , couldn't see from the pics where they
allow rotation between the swingarm and the pivot bolt . The inner sleeve on
these will be held captive between the tranny case and the outer rubber
mounts , just as original . The outer shell will rotate with the swing arm .
I haven't decided yet how I'm going to establish end play , I can either
press precisely , or set tthe outer to a preset depth and shim the thrust
faces .
I got all the stuff together to heat these , and still can't decide if
they really need it .

Kevin got back to me and said they are heat treated. FWIW, I also
asked him about longevity (100,000 miles) and he sent me this:

"Yes - the high carbon steel is heat treated.
Yes - STA-BO I will last well over that mileage. The first
STA-BO I we ever installed was on a 1986 FXRS with a
103 CID engine and currently has 300,000 miles on it
and still going."

When I had that last belt replacement done, I asked 'em to check th'
swing arm bushings whilest they're in there, and they said they were
fine. Methinks th' cocksucker never even checked 'em since there's
140,000+ miles on 'em. So for this winter I'm gonna make a set Sta-bo
style and we'll see if that helps... unless I go th' way you are.

I'll tell ya this much, as far as customer service goes, sta-bo
answers questions post haste. You might wanna ping 'em about rotation
between the swingarm and the pivot bolt.

Snarl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

sezz:
Yes please... that from D-rog?

Nope! That guy's a slacker...
--
Doug

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 14:55:44 -0400, "Doug"
wrote:

sezz:
Yes please... that from D-rog?

Nope! That guy's a slacker...

Well, yeah, but how big are those cad files, slacker?

Snarl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag sezz:
Doug , you wanna
copy too ? If so , ping me your snail mail address too and I'll make
you copies too . Hit reply-to and change snagnone to snagone ...

I sent you mail from an embarqmail.com address.
--
Doug

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:07:14 -0400, "Doug"
wrote:

sezz:
Well, yeah, but how big are those cad files, slacker?

I really don't have anything to do with those.
--
Doug
But I could for a nominal fee...

$8.00 bucks and a pair of ice cold Coors? I might send ya some stuff
this winter that needs yer talents.

Snarl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug wrote:
Snag sezz:
Doug , you wanna
copy too ? If so , ping me your snail mail address too and I'll make
you copies too . Hit reply-to and change snagnone to snagone ...

I sent you mail from an embarqmail.com address.

Did you despam my email address ? I haven't received it yet ...

--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag sezz:
Did you despam my email address ? I haven't received it yet ...

Yessir. I'll try again...
--
Doug

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:28:01 -0400, "Doug"
wrote:

sezz:
$8.00 bucks and a pair of ice cold Coors?

What do I look like? A cheap, beer whore? Throw in a stinky cigar and I'm
there!

Will a nice Montechristo for yer pimp work?

I might send ya some stuff
this winter that needs yer talents.

You know how to find me. I'm in the very early stages of starting a little
side business doing that kind of stuff too. You can be one of my "preferred
clients"...

Oh great, now I gotta dig out th' Woodford's and Cuban's. Oh well, I
guess it's worth it for th' super quick return policy you employ
snerk.

Snarl

Looking for a heat treat oven Alex Metalworking 0 October 29th 05 07:00 PM
4140 - heat treat? Jordan Metalworking 5 October 16th 05 03:53 AM
Heat Treat oil Material Bandit Metalworking 9 April 27th 05 11:57 PM
heat treat funace WKM Metalworking 4 March 25th 05 01:23 AM
heat treat head? [email protected] Metalworking 6 March 3rd 05 12:21 AM