Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Say goodbuy to home shops

"Wes" wrote in message
"azotic" wrote:

The article in the link is of concern to anyone with a home shop. If
you have a neighbor thats a pain in the ass now just wait till he has the
power he so desires to run your life with the full force of the law
to back him up.

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs....WS01/708270318

Best Regards
Tom.

Buying property subject to a HOA is not for anyone that likes to do and
make
things. I'd be interested to learn of any study showing percentages of
Democrats, Liberals, Republicans in HOA's compared to the DLR population
as
a whole. There has to be some sort of mindset in play.

Wes

In Nevada democrats:
"State senator Michael Schneider seems to agree. "After the mayor [of Las
Vegas] was elected, I told him, 'Your staff only approves homeowners
associations.' He asked, 'Why do we do that?' I told him: 'Because you get
to raise taxes without letting the public know you're increasing taxes. You
bring in X thousand dollars without increasing services.' It's a taxing
scheme," Schneider adds.

Schneider has led efforts to reform Nevada's homeowners association laws,
creating what some observers view as a model package for statewide policy.
Passed in three acts in 1997, 1999, and 2003"

Best Regards

Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 29, 12:00 am, Gerald Miller wrote:
On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:04:54 -0700, Brent
wrote:

On Aug 28, 1:28 pm, Gunner wrote:
On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:15:31 -0700, Fred the Red Shirt

wrote:

I do not know of ANY municipality, village or even county that does
not have occupancy limits for housing.

Yes and? How many are eforced?

I live in So. Cal...so dont try blowing smoke up our collective butts.

Gunner

Welcome to the municipal tradeoff

Here in ottawa the "property standards" bylaws are online and visible
UNFORTUNATLEY they are NOT searchable under their common name of
Eyesore

Oer her out bylaw enforcement is SOOOOO fixated n parking that they
have over 16 MILLION dollars in fines levied that are unpaid. And
every person living in my province and quebec as well HAS to pay their
parking fines to renew their license. Meaning they have racked up 16
million in "out of state" fines where the people told them to get
bent.

I am in violation of a few of the "Property standards" rulesotherwise
known as "eyesore" rules

If the city enforced those instead of having their hard on for parking
i'd be happy to comply i know i break the rules i found the rules and
i find them to NOT be unreasonable (I'm also hoping to have met them
by the time the snow flies anyhowbut that not their business)

Its all about wat the city "chooses" to enforce and what would make
the city money

they would make hundreds in parking fines in the time a bylaw officer
would take to cite me with a 45 day warning.

So they only enforce rules like that on a complaint basis

The law is how hard you complain not what the law "Is"

Brent
Ottawa Canada

In the late 1950's, the city fathers in Ottawa had things so screwed
up that some people refused to accept transfers there, even with
substantial pay increases. They tried to beautify the city to the
point that it was impossible to live there. I do have a lot of good
memories of working there in the construction seasons of '76, '77 &
'78, either living in hotels or camping at Greely.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

The city of Kanata is like that to this day. the Poor Zonong officers
in the city have 31 different zoning standards and have not yet
standardized so all the silly kanat bylaws relating to clotherlines or
parking a camping trailer or painting the coolour of your gareage door
(Yes folks there are municipal bylaws in a town near me stating what
colours your garage door CANNOT BE in relation to your house and
neighbours, but we look at this one town as being silly)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:00:32 -0700, Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Aug 29, 1:45 pm, wrote:
On Aug 27, 2:42 pm, "azotic" wrote:

The article in the link is of concern to anyone with a home shop.

This is yet another example of Andy Warhal's "15 minutes of fame".
Either them guy hasn't gotten his yet or the media is looking for more
readers.

Either way, the story has no basis in reality. Stories that include
the word "could" or "might" are pure gossip - NOT news and NOT gospel.

Gary

Either way, the story has no basis in reality.

I disagree....I have known those who live in a HOA and I have read
many HOA agreements.

It is very real and a real PITA if you find yourself in one when you
wish to do something that is not allowed.

TMT

I think the earlier idea of HSM type people developing an area and having an
HOA is a good one...

Requirement to maintain the way on the 5", 7 1/4" and 10 1/2" rail track that
goes past the end of your garden.

Foundry work not permitted on your lot, use the communal cupola, crucible and
induction furnaces paid for by the HOA.

3 phase to every house.

Waste to be segregated into ferrous and non-ferrous for best communal sale
price.

No more than three traction engines or two main battle tanks parked in front
of any one house.

Houses don't have to be painted, but machine tools are required to be kept
oiled.

No loud noises on Sunday mornings (not more than 90dB before lunch time).

The possibilities are mindless.

Where do I sign up?

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 29, 3:05 pm, Gunner wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:28:17 -0700, Too_Many_Tools

wrote:

Buying property subject to a HOA is not for anyone that likes to do and make
things. I'd be interested to learn of any study showing percentages of
Democrats, Liberals, Republicans in HOA's compared to the DLR population as
a whole. There has to be some sort of mindset in play.

Wes

LOL...I think you just hit THE ISSUE on the head.

My guess is those individuals who need rules and favor conformity
would thrive in a HOA.

Compulsive need for cleaniness and order (everything in its place)
would be another indicator.

Any guess which political group(s) fit that description?

TMT

Based on the Lefts long history of totalitarianism and forceing of the
Nanny State..Id have to say its the Left.

Unless you think Stalin, Mao, Kim Dungwit and FDR were Republicans,
just to name a few....

Gunner

I dont think its that political honestly

You can be right or left up or down i think HOA's appeal to people who
think in terms of pushing pencils more than getting dirty.

the kind of people who only use a hammer to hang a picture. And i
think there are several of them on all fronts

Brent
Ottawa Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Its a nation wide problem. An organisation called the CAI based in
california and compromised of
lawyers, management companies, realators, accountants and home builders are
paying off politians
thru PAC's to make shure legislation is passed that eventualy will make
every home in america part
of a HOA. The people who make thier living from the HOA's are spending big
buck to accomplish
thier goals. Sneak attacks are becoming more common, paying judges to impose
HOA's where none
existed before is going to be the norm in the very near future.

Luckily we have 90 guns for every 100 people.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Tom.- Hide quoted text -

Wanna bet that there are HOAs that prohibit firearms?

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Aug 29, 1:45 pm, wrote:
On Aug 27, 2:42 pm, "azotic" wrote:

[...]

RTFM- Hide quoted text -

LOL...Very good Mark...I look forward to this list growing.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ps.com...

wrote:

[...]

Indeed there are, i have read CCR's that ban firearms.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Dunno, they haven't managed to do that with "gun free school zones", or
in public housing, at least for legally owned guns. The courts have
affirmed multiple times that the school zones can't infringe on their
neighbors constitutional rights and that you can't sign away your
constitutional rights for public housing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That only holds true when dealing with the government or public
institutions,
When purchasing a home in a HOA you are entering into a private contract
willingley. The courts have ruled that under those conditions you can and
often do sign your constitutional rights away, lots of case law in that area
favoring HOA's violating constitutional rights that would apply in
conventional housing.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:18:25 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

"azotic" wrote:

The article in the link is of concern to anyone with a home shop. If
you have a neighbor thats a pain in the ass now just wait till he has the
power he so desires to run your life with the full force of the law
to back him up.

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs....WS01/708270318

Best Regards
Tom.

Buying property subject to a HOA is not for anyone that likes to do and make
things.

Truth!

I'd be interested to learn of any study showing percentages of
Democrats, Liberals, Republicans in HOA's compared to the DLR population as
a whole. There has to be some sort of mindset in play.

WhatEVER is your major malfunction, Wes? You speak of Democrats and
Liberals as if they were different entities. I'd be willing to
wager that the Dems would be a much higher percentage. They seem to
want to tell people what to do more than regular Reps (the current
NeoCon regime notwithstanding.)

--

According to our strength of character and our clarity of vision, we will
endure, we will succeed, we will have contributed something to make life
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs....070827/NEWS01/...

[...]

In my experience, Democrats and liberals are different animals as are
Republicans and conservatives.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

azotic wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Well, there is no HOA here now, and my homeowners insurance does have
coverage for losses due to new CCRs and similar.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

"azotic" wrote:

[...]

How about centrist extremists like myself?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques writes:

WhatEVER is your major malfunction, Wes? You speak of Democrats and
Liberals as if they were different entities. I'd be willing to
wager that the Dems would be a much higher percentage. They seem to
want to tell people what to do more than regular Reps (the current
NeoCon regime notwithstanding.)

There are lots of liberals who aren't democrats.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article om,
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Wanna bet that there are HOAs that prohibit firearms?

Maybe there are firearms that prohibit HOAs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"nick hull" wrote in message
.. .
In article om,
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Wanna bet that there are HOAs that prohibit firearms?

Maybe there are firearms that prohibit HOAs

The great equalizer is gaining popularity in HOA's. Some meetings require
pocket artillery.

In Arizona, 61 year old Richard Glassel lost his home over a two year court
battle and a $1,081 legal fee regarding his landscaping.

Glassel, vowing to "get even" stormed his former Association Board Meeting
attended by 30-40 homeowners with a rifle and three handguns blazing.
Killing two Board Members and wounding three others before his rifle jammed,
Glassel was reportedly wrestled to the ground and disarmed by at least five
of the seniors attending.
Best Regards

Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:08:11 -0700, azotic wrote:
In Arizona, 61 year old Richard Glassel lost his home over a two year court
battle and a $1,081 legal fee regarding his landscaping.

Glassel, vowing to "get even" stormed his former Association Board Meeting
attended by 30-40 homeowners with a rifle and three handguns blazing.
Killing two Board Members and wounding three others before his rifle jammed,
Glassel was reportedly wrestled to the ground and disarmed by at least five

I have very hard times developing compassion for these unfortunate
board members.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

why is it that everything you dislike must be due to the mental failings of
a group whose philosopy you oppose? Isn't that just flat out nonsense? I'd
consider myself pretty stronlgy anti-current administration (I won't say
that makes me a liberal or a conservative, by the way), and I have always
had a home shop and would never live in an area with restrictive covenants -
And, at least here on the left coast some of the least permissive areas are
the solidly republican places like the infamous Orange county -

Perhaps we can return to a discussion on metal working rather than turning
insults into swarf?

Buying property subject to a HOA is not for anyone that likes to do and
make
things. I'd be interested to learn of any study showing percentages of
Democrats, Liberals, Republicans in HOA's compared to the DLR population
as
a whole. There has to be some sort of mindset in play.

Wes

LOL...I think you just hit THE ISSUE on the head.

My guess is those individuals who need rules and favor conformity
would thrive in a HOA.

Compulsive need for cleaniness and order (everything in its place)
would be another indicator.

Any guess which political group(s) fit that description?

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:46:13 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus31174 quickly quoth:

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:08:11 -0700, azotic wrote:
In Arizona, 61 year old Richard Glassel lost his home over a two year court
battle and a $1,081 legal fee regarding his landscaping.

Glassel, vowing to "get even" stormed his former Association Board Meeting
attended by 30-40 homeowners with a rifle and three handguns blazing.
Killing two Board Members and wounding three others before his rifle jammed,
Glassel was reportedly wrestled to the ground and disarmed by at least five

I'll bet they had a helluva time replacing those members, eh?

I have very hard times developing compassion for these unfortunate
board members.

Ditto, and I'm truly astounded that we haven't been asked to develop
compassion for dozens of congresscritters before now.

Do the voices in my head bother you?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:39:44 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Joe
Pfeiffer quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques writes:

WhatEVER is your major malfunction, Wes? You speak of Democrats and
Liberals as if they were different entities. I'd be willing to
wager that the Dems would be a much higher percentage. They seem to
want to tell people what to do more than regular Reps (the current
NeoCon regime notwithstanding.)

There are lots of liberals who aren't democrats.

Can you name any we'd recognize, besides, perhaps, yourself?

I realize that there may be one or two liberal Reps and a few
conservative Dems, but a majority of Reps are conservative and the
vast majority of Dems (IIRC, every one I've met or read about) are
staunch liberals, and vice-versa.

Do the voices in my head bother you?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:02:57 -0500, nick hull wrote:

In article om,
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Wanna bet that there are HOAs that prohibit firearms?

Maybe there are firearms that prohibit HOAs

There are..and they double duty as lawyer removers too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Aug 29, 1:45 pm, wrote:
On Aug 27, 2:42 pm, "azotic" wrote:

[...]

Ooo...I like it!

Oh..toss in Clothing Optional..and Ill go for it.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:49:32 -0600, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

Maxwell Lol wrote:
Larry Jaques writes:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ers-per-capita

Now compare your other crime rates against the U.S. and the world.
It's not a pretty picture.

http://www.nationmaster.com/red/pie-...ime-burglaries

US's rankings sorta gives you a warm feeling, eh?

Well! People have to have something to make it worth while
for a burglar to steal it. :-)
...lew...

In my neck of the woods..er..desert..we dont have a lot of burglaries.
There is a finite number of burglars with a very small growth rate
after the finite numbers have been shot and buried in the back 40.

The Brits and Aussies should try it. Plus it makes the roses grow
better

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Gunner wrote:

Ooo...I like it!

Oh..toss in Clothing Optional..and Ill go for it.

*There* is a mental image I didn't need... g

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

snip

Oh..toss in Clothing Optional..and Ill go for it.

Gunner

You just soured me on the idea

George
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Buying property subject to a HOA is not for anyone that likes to do and make
things. I'd be interested to learn of any study showing percentages of
Democrats, Liberals, Republicans in HOA's compared to the DLR population as
a whole. There has to be some sort of mindset in play.

Wes

LOL...I think you just hit THE ISSUE on the head.

My guess is those individuals who need rules and favor conformity
would thrive in a HOA.

Compulsive need for cleaniness and order (everything in its place)
would be another indicator.

Any guess which political group(s) fit that description?

TMT

Based on the Lefts long history of totalitarianism and forceing of the
Nanny State..Id have to say its the Left.

What sort of neighborhoods do you think are wanted by people
touting "traditional family values'"?

Unless you think Stalin, Mao, Kim Dungwit and FDR were Republicans,
just to name a few....

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 29, 10:25 pm, "azotic" wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message

"azotic" wrote:

[...]

ISTM it would only take one act to prohibit them, which would be
a model package.

--

FF

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Buying property subject to a HOA is not for anyone that likes to do and make
things. I'd be interested to learn of any study showing percentages of
Democrats, Liberals, Republicans in HOA's compared to the DLR population as
a whole. There has to be some sort of mindset in play.

Wes

LOL...I think you just hit THE ISSUE on the head.

My guess is those individuals who need rules and favor conformity
would thrive in a HOA.

Compulsive need for cleaniness and order (everything in its place)
would be another indicator.

Any guess which political group(s) fit that description?

TMT

Based on the Lefts long history of totalitarianism and forceing of the
Nanny State..Id have to say its the Left.

What sort of neighborhoods do you think are wanted by people
touting "traditional family values'"?

HOAs are intended for 'Politically Correct' morons, of course.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 30, 1:34 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Gunner wrote:
Ooo...I like it!

Oh..toss in Clothing Optional..and Ill go for it.

*There* is a mental image I didn't need... g

--
Regards,

Damn...naked while machining...you are going to cause those cats to go
blind yet.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 30, 1:58 pm, Gunner wrote:
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 18:34:39 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Gunner wrote:

Ooo...I like it!

Oh..toss in Clothing Optional..and Ill go for it.

*There* is a mental image I didn't need... g

As the 5' 10" tall slender but big bosemed lady said at 4am this
morning....

"gasp..pant..pant...your pretty damned good for an old man...."

Shrug...its just a knack....

Gunner

Machining at 4 AM?

In only in your dreams. ;)

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:18:58 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

Ooo...I like it!

Oh..toss in Clothing Optional..and Ill go for it.

Gunner

Just so long as you keep the safety boots and full face visor on :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 30, 2:13 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Gunner wrote:
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 18:34:39 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Gunner

wrote:

Ooo...I like it!

Oh..toss in Clothing Optional..and Ill go for it.

*There* is a mental image I didn't need... g

As the 5' 10" tall slender but big bosemed lady said at 4am this
morning....

"gasp..pant..pant...your pretty damned good for an old man...."

What the hell are you doing out jogging at four in the morning???

--
Regards,

It's time to throw all their damned tea in the harbor again.- Hide quoted text -

Jogging is hard on the lathe.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 30, 9:12 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Wrong. They are for people who DON'T want to associate with
anyone who don't live up to their expectations of wha their neighbors
should be like.

Politically correct morons love to associate with people they think
of as inferior--it makes them feel superior.

--

FF

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ups.com...
wrote:
HOAs are intended for 'Politically Correct' morons, of course.

Wrong. They are for people who DON'T want to associate with
anyone who don't live up to their expectations of wha their neighbors
should be like.

Politically correct morons love to associate with people they think
of as inferior--it makes them feel superior.

That's some weird stuff, Fred. Is it the result of some bad experience or
something?

BTW, here in the liberal NYC suburbs, HOAs are pretty rare. There aren't any
around me. What's happened to the freewheeling, libertarian West?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

In article , Gunner wrote:

Ooo...I like it!

Oh..toss in Clothing Optional..and Ill go for it.

*There* is a mental image I didn't need... g

As the 5' 10" tall slender but big bosemed lady said at 4am this
morning....

"gasp..pant..pant...your pretty damned good for an old man...."

Shrug...its just a knack....

Gunner

Machining at 4 AM?

In only in your dreams. ;)

TMT

Actually..I do machine and weld at 4am. Here in the desert..its the
coolest times.

Gunner