DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How big a face mill can a Millrite MVI handle? Update (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/212275-how-big-face-mill-can-millrite-mvi-handle-update.html)

Joseph Gwinn August 25th 07 10:07 PM

How big a face mill can a Millrite MVI handle? Update

I just got a used shell mill mounted on a R8 arbor. The cutter is made
by Morse, is 1-1/8 inches in diameter, and has ten spiral teeth. It has
no trouble whatsoever with aluminum. I was taking nearly full-width
passes, 0.015" or so deep. Didn't even slow down while I squared up a
block.

Steel will be another matter.

Joseph Gwinn August 25th 07 10:09 PM

How big a face mill can a Millrite MVI handle? Update

In article ,
Joseph Gwinn wrote:

I just got a used shell mill mounted on a R8 arbor. The cutter is made
by Morse, is 1-1/8 inches in diameter, and has ten spiral teeth. It has

Typo. It's 2-1/8 inch in diameter.

Robin S. August 25th 07 11:26 PM

How big a face mill can a Millrite MVI handle? Update

On Aug 25, 5:09 pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Joseph Gwinn wrote:

I just got a used shell mill mounted on a R8 arbor. The cutter is made
by Morse, is 1-1/8 inches in diameter, and has ten spiral teeth. It has

Typo. It's 2-1/8 inch in diameter.

I used to run a 3" 4fl indexable facemill at 0.150" DOC, full
diameter, max spindle RPM in aluminum. Feed too hard and you can hear
the machine bog. 0.015" should be trivial for any full-size knee mill.

Regards,

Robin