DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How big a face mill can a Millrite MVI handle? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/212077-how-big-face-mill-can-millrite-mvi-handle.html)

Joseph Gwinn August 24th 07 02:33 PM

How big a face mill can a Millrite MVI handle?

I'm considering getting a face mill, and am looking for field reports
and suggestions. I've been using a fly cutter for facing, but it's slow
and probably hard on the bearings. This really is a job for a face mill.

I have a MVI vertical mill with the original low-speed 1 HP motor driven
from a VFD, with an R8 spindle.

My first question is how large a diameter is reasonable. I've heard
that such machines can spin a 3" face mill with no problem. Would that
that be for steel, or only for aluminum? What sizes have people used?

My second question is what make and model of face mill to get. Again,
what kinds have people used, and how well did the face mills work?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Karl Townsend August 24th 07 07:11 PM

How big a face mill can a Millrite MVI handle?

My second question is what make and model of face mill to get. Again,
what kinds have people used, and how well did the face mills work?

You get what you pay for. One cadilac is the sandvik R390 3" face mill. Big
$ and worth every cent. These inserts run best without coolant - they put
the heat in the chip.

Karl

Joseph Gwinn August 25th 07 12:34 AM

How big a face mill can a Millrite MVI handle?

In article s.com,
"Karl Townsend" wrote:

My second question is what make and model of face mill to get. Again,
what kinds have people used, and how well did the face mills work?

You get what you pay for. One cadilac is the sandvik R390 3" face mill. Big
$ and worth every cent. These inserts run best without coolant - they put
the heat in the chip.

They look nice. Where are they sold?

What about the R245?

The Sandvik Coromont website seems too complicated for its own good, but
very good-looking.

Joe Gwinn

Karl Townsend August 25th 07 01:16 AM

How big a face mill can a Millrite MVI handle?

They look nice. Where are they sold?

The only place you can afford it is on eBay. My son keeps joking about all
the people stealing these from work to auction on eBay.

What about the R245?

I've not used this one.

Ignoramus2733 August 25th 07 01:44 AM

How big a face mill can a Millrite MVI handle?

That was an interesting discussion. I will try to go through my face
mills and see which ones I can use. I have about 6.