Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe chuck carrier?

I have had a recurrence of an old injury and am not into lifting the 10 inch
chuck on the Graziano for a while, so need to build a carrier to facilitate
regular changes to collet use.
I saw one long ago that attached to the machine and swung the chuck out of
the way but don't remember the details of construction. I see a few like
this http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/mar02/mar02.html but don't want
to fool with rope lifts.
Anyone know of any good photos, plans, etc online?
Stupendous Man
Defender of Liberty, Advocate of Justice

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think the thing you are referring to is called a "Sky Hook" and it
mounts on a QC tool post. It's a J&L part number WLC-85025M and you
can (maybe) see several different sizes of them on:

http://www.jlindustrial.com/CGI/JISR...tial&N=0&Nty=1

Hope this helps... Joel in Florida rust central

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--

A lot of shops used a permanent davit which mounted on the floor and
was attached to some part of the headstock, drip pan, etc. for

When you wanted to change chucks you used a wooden block that spanned
the ways and had a half circle cut in the top to support the chuck you
were removing. Then slide the wooden block and chuck down the ways
until it was out of the way.

The second chuck which is suspended by a bolt to the davit is swing
around to connect to the spindle and installed. Move the original
chuck back under the davit arm, screw in the bolt until the chuck is
suspended by the davit and push it out of the way, and Bob's your
Uncle, as they say.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 23, 5:04 pm, "Stupendous Man" wrote:
I have had a recurrence of an old injury and am not into lifting the 10 inch
chuck on the Graziano for a while, so need to build a carrier to facilitate
regular changes to collet use.
I saw one long ago that attached to the machine and swung the chuck out of
the way but don't remember the details of construction. I see a few like
thishttp://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/mar02/mar02.html but don't want
to fool with rope lifts.
Anyone know of any good photos, plans, etc online?
Stupendous Man
Defender of Liberty, Advocate of Justice

Enco had small hoist that fastened on or near the lathe bed at one
time. Check with them and the other online suppliers. Wasn't for
hoisting tons, but was meant for juggling large lathe tooling.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have had a recurrence of an old injury and am not into lifting the 10 inch
chuck on the Graziano for a while, so need to build a carrier to facilitate
regular changes to collet use.
I saw one long ago that attached to the machine and swung the chuck out of
the way but don't remember the details of construction. I see a few like
this http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/mar02/mar02.html but don't want
to fool with rope lifts.
Anyone know of any good photos, plans, etc online?
--

While not a good photo of it (I could of swore that I had one)
here's a pic of mine on my Sidney. (third one down)

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ook/lathes.htm

This old pic shows the one I got the idea from. Sorry for the bad
pic but this is one of the first pics I ever posted to the web. I took
them with a 35mm at night so it was hard to get a good exposure. Then
to top it off the scans made by the company that developed the film
where lousy.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ican_16x72.jpg

I'll see if I can get a chance to take some more pics of the one I'm
using now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

While not a good photo of it (I could of swore that I had one)
here's a pic of mine on my Sidney. (third one down)

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ook/lathes.htm
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ican_16x72.jpg

There it is, something like that. I think it needs 3 pivots to allow the
chuck to be pulled from the camlock. I like the second one
I don't want to try and suspend anything from the ceiling or cables, and
have plenty of stock and worn Heim joints around
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I saw your article is very good, I like it very much. I will continue
to pay attention to your article, the following are the points I hope
that I have similar concerns.
http://www.gopowerlevel.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

While not a good photo of it (I could of swore that I had one)
here's a pic of mine on my Sidney. (third one down)

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ook/lathes.htm

I must have a faulty memory chip. I thought you were replacing that old gal
with a Leblond servo shift. Did the sale fall through or has my poor old
brain completely cross wired?

I've got another lathe just like it, leblond 16x120, that I had to move to
the barn. I couldn't bear to sell it but no longer had room for it. Its for
sale but only to a good home. I get attached to my toys.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 07:34:27 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

While not a good photo of it (I could of swore that I had one)
here's a pic of mine on my Sidney. (third one down)

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ook/lathes.htm

I must have a faulty memory chip. I thought you were replacing that old gal
with a Leblond servo shift. Did the sale fall through or has my poor old
brain completely cross wired?

I've looked at a number of lathes to replace it. I've just not found
the right one at the right price yet (and right location).

I've got another lathe just like it, leblond 16x120, that I had to move to
the barn. I couldn't bear to sell it but no longer had room for it. Its for
sale but only to a good home. I get attached to my toys.

I remember it. You offered it to me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 22:47:09 -0700, "Stupendous Man"
wrote:

While not a good photo of it (I could of swore that I had one)
here's a pic of mine on my Sidney. (third one down)

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ook/lathes.htm
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ican_16x72.jpg

There it is, something like that. I think it needs 3 pivots to allow the
chuck to be pulled from the camlock. I like the second one
I don't want to try and suspend anything from the ceiling or cables, and
have plenty of stock and worn Heim joints around

There is three pivots. One is the main for the arm. The other is the
cross arm for the two chucks. The third is the pivoting of the chuck
carriers themselves.

The second one is definitely nicer. But I threw the first one
together in about 3 hours.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
I have had a recurrence of an old injury and am not into lifting the 10
inch chuck on the Graziano for a while, so need to build a carrier to
facilitate regular changes to collet use.
I saw one long ago that attached to the machine and swung the chuck out of
the way but don't remember the details of construction.

Here's a couple of pics of the crane I made from 1" steel tubing. The winch
is the type used to pull small boats on to trailers and has 3/16" steel
cable (wire rope). It swings to the side and has enough cable to reach the
floor.
The crane is removable, it sits in a tube socket bolted to the back of the
carriage where a follow rest normally is attached.

http://pro.imagehost.biz/ims/pictes/366611.jpg

http://pro.imagehost.biz/ims/pictes/366612.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"He who signs the paychecks" looked at my plan for a lathe-mounted swivel
unit, and decided that he liked the rope-and-pulley system better, and we
have plenty of C-track and bearings around to make it work.
I guess that's how it will be. Thanks for the photos

--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 23:15:16 -0500, Wayne Cook
wrote:

snip
While not a good photo of it (I could of swore that I had one)
here's a pic of mine on my Sidney. (third one down)

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ook/lathes.htm

This old pic shows the one I got the idea from. Sorry for the bad
pic but this is one of the first pics I ever posted to the web. I took
them with a 35mm at night so it was hard to get a good exposure. Then
to top it off the scans made by the company that developed the film
where lousy.

snip

Hi Wayne,

I took the liberty to mess around with your photos/images a
bit. I uploaded them to my site as (1.3mb):

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/lathes-new.zip

Take a look and if you like them use them in place of the
current ones. I just changed the name on each one by adding
"-1" to it (ie sidney-1.jpg).

If I had the original images I might be able to do a bit
more with them. Assuming of course that they weren't the
originals being used already on the web page.

The chuck davit you wanted to show is a bit easier to make
out now.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:30:22 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 23:15:16 -0500, Wayne Cook
wrote:

snip
While not a good photo of it (I could of swore that I had one)
here's a pic of mine on my Sidney. (third one down)

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ook/lathes.htm

This old pic shows the one I got the idea from. Sorry for the bad
pic but this is one of the first pics I ever posted to the web. I took
them with a 35mm at night so it was hard to get a good exposure. Then
to top it off the scans made by the company that developed the film
where lousy.

snip

Hi Wayne,

I took the liberty to mess around with your photos/images a
bit. I uploaded them to my site as (1.3mb):

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/lathes-new.zip

Take a look and if you like them use them in place of the
current ones. I just changed the name on each one by adding
"-1" to it (ie sidney-1.jpg).

Ok. I'll probably just leave them like they are but thanks for the
offer.

If I had the original images I might be able to do a bit
more with them. Assuming of course that they weren't the
originals being used already on the web page.

Those particular pics have only been reduced 50% in size and
compressed a bit more from the originals. The ones I was taking about
where the ones that I posted to the dropbox a long time ago (I think
that I was something like the third person to use the dropbox when it
first started).

The chuck davit you wanted to show is a bit easier to make
out now.

It is in that pic alright but there's still a lot of hidden parts.

lathe chuck geo Woodturning 22 February 1st 06 09:14 PM
Drill Chuck / Lathe Chuck - Drill Press Question [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 29th 05 01:07 AM
using a four jaw chuck on a lathe stone Metalworking 25 April 21st 05 03:35 PM
Lathe Chuck question: mac davis Woodturning 17 December 23rd 04 02:34 AM
Two Jaw Lathe Chuck???? MP Toolman Metalworking 4 January 2nd 04 12:11 PM