Old August 25th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default drill press holding fixture

yes, that is the one (note, I'm top posting to annoy the heck out of those
bothered by such violations of non-existant rules)

Most of the time the little attachment block, shown on the far right of
the vise in the image, is lost. You are supposed to affixt that
attachment block into a T slot, the round part of the vise slides in the
block (unless you clamp it down), so the whole assembly is easy to move in
translation but impossible to rotate, just what you want. You don't need
the handle to hit the column, just make the missing little block

I never even knew I had a part missing. thanks for pointing it out. I'll fix
this and my float lock will see a lot more service.

Karl

Old August 25th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Travers part #61-171-001. $77 + SH. Looks like you could make one.
But it also looks like it wouldn't work on a drill press that has a rack
on the side of the column for table raise/lower. Even if you modified it
to mount around the rack, it couldn't swivel on the column.

This wouldn't work on my machine (6" column with rack, unit is 2 3/4" for no
rack) but looks handy for anybody that has this size drill press.

Karl

Old August 25th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to William Noble :
yes, that is the one (note, I'm top posting to annoy the heck out of those
bothered by such violations of non-existant rules)

Most of the time the little attachment block, shown on the far right of the
vise in the image, is lost. You are supposed to affixt that attachment
block into a T slot, the round part of the vise slides in the block (unless
you clamp it down), so the whole assembly is easy to move in translation but
impossible to rotate, just what you want. You don't need the handle to hit
the column, just make the missing little block

The one which I have has that block designed to clamp to the
edge of the table, instead of to a T-slot. Since my drill press (A
Taiwan made one from about 1977 or so) has a round table which is too
small for that, I have been keeping the Float-vise around waiting for a
larger drill press with which to use it.

However, I think that I will now make a collar to slide on the
column just above the table and to secure the sliding block fit for the
arm. That should allow me to use it with the current drill press, and
to swing it aside when it is not appropriate.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old August 26th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 22, 3:33 pm, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I gave blood this morning. All over my radial arm drill that I got a couple
months ago. The part snatched as the drill broke though. it rode up the
drill and then popped the vice grip holding clamp off and threw it. Then the
work made made a quick revolution before i could get out of the way.

I need to get a better way to hold work in the drill press. A couple vice
grips and pieces of tubing just aren't getting it. I've tried using a spare
Kurt type vise, but that is cumbersome. half the parts won't fit in and its
difficult to quickly line the work up under the drill and through an open
spot in the vise.

what's normally used to hold all sorts of odd ball one of parts in a large
drill? Just fabrication grade work here. I use a mill and bolt the part to
it for stuff needing accuracy.

Karl

Sorry to hear of the involuntary donation....didn't even get a chance
to have a pretty nurse to flirt with.

The recommendations for the vise on a plate and a Welch Cam-Lock Drill
Press Clamp should fit the bill.

A drill press is a deceptively dangerous machine...I have known
several people doing do-it-yourself amputations by getting in a hurry.

TMT

Old August 26th 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:
The one which I have has that block designed to clamp to the
edge of the table, instead of to a T-slot. ...
However, I think that I will now make a collar to slide on the
column just above the table and to secure the sliding block fit for the
arm. That should allow me to use it with the current drill press, and
to swing it aside when it is not appropriate.

Oh - good idea! Much better than the original way. Why didn't I think
of that?! Bob
Old August 26th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Bob Engelhardt :
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

However, I think that I will now make a collar to slide on the
column just above the table and to secure the sliding block fit for the
arm. That should allow me to use it with the current drill press, and
to swing it aside when it is not appropriate.

Oh - good idea! Much better than the original way. Why didn't I think
of that?! Bob

Why didn't *I* think of that before this discussion came up?
All those years when I could have been getting the benefit of mine. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564