Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metalworking Accident

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3a7_1187501259

Manufacturing defect (or sabotage) end results. There is also a link
to the Slo-Mo version there.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dav1936531" wrote in message
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3a7_1187501259

Manufacturing defect (or sabotage) end results. There is also a link
to the Slo-Mo version there.
Dave

He needs a personal injury lawyer, there were no warning labels on the tube
or mortor.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" fired this volley in
:

"dav1936531" wrote in message
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3a7_1187501259

Manufacturing defect (or sabotage) end results. There is also a link
to the Slo-Mo version there.
Dave

He needs a personal injury lawyer, there were no warning labels on the
tube or mortor.

The "tube" as you call it IS the mortar. The "mortor" as you call is is
a "mortar round" or "mortar shell".

The little round things you buy at the Class-C fireworks stand that go up
in the air and explode with pretty colors are "aerial shells". The thing
they shoot OUT OF is a mortar.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" fired this volley in
:

"dav1936531" wrote in message
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3a7_1187501259

Manufacturing defect (or sabotage) end results. There is also a link
to the Slo-Mo version there.
Dave

He needs a personal injury lawyer, there were no warning labels on
the tube or mortor.

I'm just guessing that he isn't going to need the lawyer. The mortar
didn't explode, the round did. He's going to need a bag.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 20, 10:00 am, dav1936531 wrote:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3a7_1187501259

Manufacturing defect (or sabotage) end results. There is also a link
to the Slo-Mo version there.
Dave

Is it possible to arm a round by hitting on the ground? How are the
rounds armed? In the movie "Saving Private Ryan", they slammed the
butt end of the round and threw it.
In any case thankfully, this guy is on his way to paradise. Perfect
justice for firing indiscriminately. You can not accurately aim a
mortar like that by holding it with your hand.
-Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" writes:

"dav1936531" wrote in message
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3a7_1187501259

Manufacturing defect (or sabotage) end results. There is also a link
to the Slo-Mo version there.
Dave

He needs a personal injury lawyer, there were no warning labels on the tube
or mortor.

I suspect his family needs the lawyer. He has no use for one any more.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mlcorson wrote:
On Aug 20, 10:00 am, dav1936531 wrote:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3a7_1187501259

Manufacturing defect (or sabotage) end results. There is also a link
to the Slo-Mo version there.
Dave

Is it possible to arm a round by hitting on the ground? How are the
rounds armed? In the movie "Saving Private Ryan", they slammed the
butt end of the round and threw it.
In any case thankfully, this guy is on his way to paradise. Perfect
justice for firing indiscriminately. You can not accurately aim a
mortar like that by holding it with your hand.
-Mike

He doesn't have to hit anything. The act of dropping shells into a
general area, where the other side is claiming that it is safe to
live/work/do business, or just to be, is all the shooter has to do to
accomplish his goal of showing defiance and wreaking a little havoc.

Lesse now.... Interdict a shipment of mortar shells, expensive as
hell! Re-rig the fuses to be initiated on firing, priceless!

Never use the ammo the other guy left behind, now, boy scouts! Bad
things can happen!

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 09:17:05 -0700, mlcorson
wrote:

Is it possible to arm a round by hitting on the ground? How are the
rounds armed? In the movie "Saving Private Ryan", they slammed the
butt end of the round and threw it.

========
Bear in mind that the following is based on my experience with US
Infantry weapons many years ago, and things do change. I was
also at Carter Carburetor where we made hundreds of thousands of
BLU3 and mortar fuses.

The usual US practice for mortar shells at that time was to have
a spring loaded inertia pin that retains another pin that rides
on the bore making the round "bore safe." In operation the round
is drop fired and the inertia pin driven back releasing the bore
safe pin that then rides on the inside of the barrel until the
round clears the barrel. Some little distance ( a few feet) past
the end of the barrel the bore safety pin pops out and the round
is armed.

In Vietnam because of the very high and dense jungle canopy in
many areas, a number of mortar crews killed themselves attempting
to shoot through it [with a quick or super quick fuse, even
brushing a twig or a leave will be enough to set off a round
after it is armed and an air burst is the most dangerous kind ]

An improved mechanical delay fuse was developed with a spring
loaded paddle wheel that spun around for a few seconds and then
armed the fuse. More than likely some sort of electronics are
now used.

A contributing factor is the need to [generally] remove
propellant "increments" to adjust the range in addition to
adjusting the inclination of the tube.

One of the "tricks of the mortar man's trade" (not covered in any
FM I know of) is to attach additional increments left over from
prior shorter range shots to gain those few additional yards of
range. This is similar to tipping the powder can to make a 357
out of a 38, and most definitely is *NOT* the place to apply the
rule "if somes good, mores better, and too much is just enough."
Last words here may well have been "Watch me get 20,000 yards
easy with this round."

The explosion might also be another example of a lack of quality
control or a difference in weapons design philosophy which
stresses cost and producability over operator safety, or some
other bonehead move such as using a faster [rifle] powder in the
increments if the proper propellant had been lost or damaged,
similar to replacing Blue Dot by Bullseye on a weight for weight
basis because you are running low on Blue Dot.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Well, that video certainly made MY day! :-) Thanks to the person
responsible for posting it.

Jim Chandler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" write "dav1936531" wrote in message
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3a7_1187501259

Manufacturing defect (or sabotage) end results. There is also a link
to the Slo-Mo version there.
Dave

Putting TWO rounds in a mortar is sabotage?

Guess they forgot to spell it out. Place one round in tube. Wait for big
bang before inserting second round.

No -- the first one fired.

I see grounds for a hefty lawsuit.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
"SteveB" write "dav1936531"
wrote in message
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3a7_1187501259

Manufacturing defect (or sabotage) end results. There is also a link
to the Slo-Mo version there.
Dave

Putting TWO rounds in a mortar is sabotage?

Guess they forgot to spell it out. Place one round in tube. Wait for
big
bang before inserting second round.

No -- the first one fired.

I see grounds for a hefty lawsuit.

Steve

After reviewing the clip several times, I can see where the first one DID
fire. My screen starts small, and while I was hitting the enlarge icon, I
missed a little of the action.

Oh, well. Just proves nothing is foolproof.

Hell of a video, though. Wonder how far the camera man was. And if he got
splattered. Those mortar rounds have a decent amount of explosives in them.

I have respect for high order explosives after seeing what they can do
underwater, and in perforating guns on deck when set off inadvertently.

Steve

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:31:17 GMT, Trevor Jones
wrote:

mlcorson wrote:
[...]

That was a regular task of LRRP units..to salt the enemies stockpiles
with doctored rounds.

Actually saw a gomer fire a doctored AK47 round. (The bullets were
pulled, and the case filled with RDX or C-4.)

He lost his head.

Rather cool actually

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote in
:

snip

That was a regular task of LRRP units..to salt the enemies stockpiles
with doctored rounds.

Actually saw a gomer fire a doctored AK47 round. (The bullets were
pulled, and the case filled with RDX or C-4.)

He lost his head.

Rather cool actually

Gunner

Did they have to put something at the primer end to blow first?? I was
wondering if C4 would go off with a small charge like a primer being used
to detonate.

Did he actually loose the whole thing?? I'm having flash backs to a
Schwarzenegger movie, The Running Man, where convicts had explosive collars
on and during a prison break one has his go off and you see a quick flash
of a headless body standing before it falls over.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:59:49 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

That was a regular task of LRRP units..to salt the enemies stockpiles
with doctored rounds.

That's what I think the vid shows.....a doctored round. That doesn't
look like a round from all those ancient Iraqi stock piles of ammo
either....it looks like the paint job on it is pretty fresh. Maybe we
interdicted some supplies coming in from Iran and "fixed" them up.

Actually saw a gomer fire a doctored AK47 round. (The bullets were
pulled, and the case filled with RDX or C-4.)

He lost his head.

What a coincidence. In the Slo-Mo vid of this incident you can see the
mortor guy's head flying off to the left. Allahu Akbar!!
Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:29:29 -0400, dav1936531
wrote:

What a coincidence. In the Slo-Mo vid of this incident you can see the
mortor guy's head flying off to the left. Allahu Akbar!!
Dave

Oh yeah....here's the link to the Slo-Mo version.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=971_1187516640
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I guess we can thank IRAN for the quality level - helps eradicate those
they help!

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:

What a coincidence. In the Slo-Mo vid of this incident you can see the
mortor guy's head flying off to the left. Allahu Akbar!!
Dave

Oh yeah....here's the link to the Slo-Mo version.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=971_1187516640
Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What really struck me in the slowd -motion version was the extent to
which you still really couldn't follow what happened due to the
frame-to-frame changes. Near as I could tell, the head was only
visible in one frame.

Wow.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:40:01 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

What really struck me in the slowd -motion version was the extent to
which you still really couldn't follow what happened due to the
frame-to-frame changes. Near as I could tell, the head was only
visible in one frame.

Wow.

I guess maybe they weren't set up for 10,000 fps. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Shop accident BillinDetroit Woodturning 10 July 24th 07 05:21 PM
Accident claim? Phil Kyle UK diy 0 October 17th 06 03:58 PM
Guess the cause of the accident? /. Metalworking 51 February 20th 06 10:47 PM
Scary Accident DamnYankeeBastard Woodworking 20 December 31st 04 09:18 AM
Nail Gun Accident Joe Bleau Woodworking 1 December 13th 04 07:40 AM