Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anodizing Question: Titanium or Aluminum Racks

In the anodizing industry, some people are using titanium racks and
some are using aluminum racks. Why? What is the main difference? On
the surface, Ti racks cost more, (5-9x) but last a lot longer.

Opportunities are never lost. The other fellow takes those you miss.

Ken

| Torrey Hills Technologies, LLC |
| www.threerollmill.com |
| www.torreyhillstech.com |

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Torrey Hills writes:

In the anodizing industry, some people are using titanium racks and
some are using aluminum racks. Why? What is the main difference? On
the surface, Ti racks cost more, (5-9x) but last a lot longer.

Titanium is inert in the process. Aluminum racks undergo anodizing
themselves.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 01:47:49 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Torrey Hills writes:

In the anodizing industry, some people are using titanium racks and
some are using aluminum racks. Why? What is the main difference? On
the surface, Ti racks cost more, (5-9x) but last a lot longer.

Titanium is inert in the process. Aluminum racks undergo anodizing
themselves.

Further: when aluminum racks become anodized, they are no longer
conductive on their surfaces so work hung on them is not connected to
the power supply and doesn't get anodized.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Torrey Hills writes:

In the anodizing industry, some people are using titanium racks and
some are using aluminum racks. Why? What is the main difference? On
the surface, Ti racks cost more, (5-9x) but last a lot longer.

Titanium is inert in the process. Aluminum racks undergo anodizing
themselves.

Further: when aluminum racks become anodized, they are no longer
conductive on their surfaces so work hung on them is not connected to
the power supply and doesn't get anodized.

Thank you for your responses. Aluminum racks cost more in long term.
During the anodizing process, aluminum racks have to be stripped each
time after use. Why would every anodizers use titanium racks?

Ken

Opportunities are never lost. The other fellow takes those you miss.

| Torrey Hills Technologies, LLC |
| www.threerollmill.com |
| www.torreyhillstech.com |

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Torrey Hills writes:

In the anodizing industry, some people are using titanium racks and
some are using aluminum racks. Why? What is the main difference? On
the surface, Ti racks cost more, (5-9x) but last a lot longer.

Titanium is inert in the process. Aluminum racks undergo anodizing
themselves.

Which leaves them virtually non-conductive, requiring contact points
to be filed to make contact with the workpeice, if I read it
correctly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Torrey Hills wrote in
ups.com:

Thank you for your responses. Aluminum racks cost more in long term.
During the anodizing process, aluminum racks have to be stripped each
time after use. Why would every anodizers use titanium racks?

All of our anodizers use Ti & SS, Ti for any conductive parts, SS for most
everything else, except the frames.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 19, 4:10 pm, Anthony wrote:
Torrey Hills wrote roups.com:

Thank you for your responses. Aluminum racks cost more in long term.
During the anodizing process, aluminum racks have to be stripped each
time after use. Why would every anodizers use titanium racks?

All of our anodizers use Ti & SS, Ti for any conductive parts, SS for most
everything else, except the frames.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

You use Stainless Steel (316?) racks for anodizing?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Torrey Hills wrote in
oups.com:

You use Stainless Steel (316?) racks for anodizing?

Both Ti and SS (what alloy, I am not sure), yes. Our anodizing operations
are not "dip tank" type. We only anodize specific areas of the parts.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 18, 9:28 pm, Torrey Hills wrote:
In the anodizing industry, some people are using titanium racks and
some are using aluminum racks. Why? What is the main difference? On
the surface, Ti racks cost more, (5-9x) but last a lot longer.

Opportunities are never lost. The other fellow takes those you miss.

Ken

| Torrey Hills Technologies, LLC |
|www.threerollmill.com|
|www.torreyhillstech.com|

Can't imagine using aluminum for racks, it picks up surface oxidation
just sitting there. Bad electrical contact then. You'd also have to
strip the things after every use. We had titanium racks and used
aluminum spreader bars for holding the parts securely. Every so often
we had to dunk baskets of bars in the etch tank to clean them off, we
used freshly dunked bars for every rack fill. Since the place had an
aluminum extrusion plant, when the bars got to the point where they
were too small, they squirted out some more for us. The racks were
about 20' long and sat on two big pads for electrical contact at
either end, so oxidation would have been a big problem. Currents up
to 10000 amps. If you're going into production, use titanium. You'll
need titanium hardware, too.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 20, 6:36 am, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 06:14:51 -0700, wrote:
On Aug 18, 9:28 pm, Torrey Hills wrote:
In the anodizing industry, some people are using titanium racks and
some are using aluminum racks. Why? What is the main difference? On
the surface, Ti racks cost more, (5-9x) but last a lot longer.

Opportunities are never lost. The other fellow takes those you miss.

Ken

| Torrey Hills Technologies, LLC |
|www.threerollmill.com|
|www.torreyhillstech.com|

Can't imagine using aluminum for racks,

The OP is a shill, and a transparent one at that. Follow his links and
you'll see that he represents a mfr of titanium anodizing racks.

--
Ned Simmons

Hi Ned, I e-mailed you from both Google group and my office this
morning, so far I did not receive any response from you. Yes, we are a
manufacturer of anodizing racks and have a separate website for that
www.anodizingracksonline.com. It is not fair for us to say that my
post was a shill without knowing why I asked that question. I would
like to assure all other responders that what I asked was a legitimate
question. Some of our customers are requesting Ti racks, some of them
requesting Al racks. I do not know why. My background is Chemical
Engineering and I want to know why. I did not try to promote our
racks. In the response, I learned that some people are using SS for
racks, very interesting. I posted the same questions in Yahoo Answer.
One of the responders redirected me to www.finishing.com. The
moderator liked the question and approved my posting. My posting ID is
46180.

Thank you... Ken

Opportunities are never lost. The other fellow takes those you miss.

| Torrey Hills Technologies, LLC |
|www.threerollmill.com |
|www.torreyhillstech.com |

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:08:43 -0000, Torrey Hills
wrote:

[...]

Then I apologize. But I'd suggest that it's good form to disclose
business affiliations up-front. Letting folks know where you're coming
from may also improve the usefulness of the responses to your
question.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 18, 8:28 pm, Torrey Hills wrote:
In the anodizing industry, some people are using titanium racks and
some are using aluminum racks. Why? What is the main difference? On
the surface, Ti racks cost more, (5-9x) but last a lot longer.

Opportunities are never lost. The other fellow takes those you miss.

Ken

| Torrey Hills Technologies, LLC |
|www.threerollmill.com|
|www.torreyhillstech.com|

Over last few days, I learned a lot more about why Ti is used for
anodizing racks. Here is what someone shared in an e-mail to me:

"Ti is a lightweight metal with a high strength to weight ratio, good
electrical conductivity and excellent corrosion resistance.Fo Racks
fabricated from chemically pure titanium should be used. The titanium
racks do not require stripping and are resistant to attack by most
solutions used in the anodizing process. Titanium, being higher in
price ($25/lb, August 2007) than the alternative, aluminum alloy ($2/
lb), is primarily utilized in high volume, long run production lines.
Compared to aluminum alloy, titanium reduces rack maintenance costs
and is far more economical in the long term."

I am getting more responses and will share them in this group.

Ken

Opportunities are never lost. The other fellow takes those you miss.

| Torrey Hills Technologies, LLC |
| www.threerollmill.com |
| www.torreyhillstech.com |

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
No Name

On Aug 21, 1:28 pm, Torrey Hills wrote:
[...]

For those you are following up this thread, here is what Mr. Milt
Stevenson, Jr. from Anoplate Corp, Syracuse, NY, USA commented in my
www.finishing.com posting
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...5a50d1aa8c6b13

" A couple of more differences: aluminum racks bend more easily and
work better for job shops that aren't doing repetitive, run-after-run
of the same part. If you're having to squeeze titanium clips all day
to rack parts, you're looking for a workmans comp wrist case for
"reptitive motion syndrome." We can buy about 10 aluminum clips for
the price of a single titanium clip. Also, there is a far greater
variety of aluminum clips available. Furthermore, when it comes to
hardcoat where current carrying capacity is critical, one square inch
of cross sectional area of aluminum carries 650 amps where as titanium
is only about half. Another factor is how well the unrackers are
willing to squeeze the tips - if they don't and just pull the parts
off the rack, the spring back will gouge the parts far more with
titanium. Each one has its own merits. Lastly, last longer is a myth
if you have any fluoride in any deox or desmut on the line; it will
chew up your titanium racks and render them worthless in short order."

Thank you,

Ken

Opportunities are never lost. The other fellow takes those you miss.

| Torrey Hills Technologies, LLC |
| www.threerollmill.com |
| www.torreyhillstech.com |

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

在 2007年8月19日星期日 UTC+8上午11:28:28,Torrey Hills写道:
In the anodizing industry, some people are using titanium racks and
some are using aluminum racks. Why? What is the main difference? On
the surface, Ti racks cost more, (5-9x) but last a lot longer.

Opportunities are never lost. The other fellow takes those you miss.

Ken

| Torrey Hills Technologies, LLC |
| www.threerollmill.com |
| www.torreyhillstech.com |

Actually,titanium works better in the alkaline solution,while in the acid the aluminum should be fine.
Any more questions,please feel free back to
Armstrong