Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Where to find steel wedges?

Sometime back I was given a couple steel wedges, just hard flat steel
about 1" wide, 1/4" thick at the fat end and tapering down to nothing.
I have looked all over locally (Tacoma and Bremerton, Washington) and
no one has them. I found some on McMaster-Carr and ordered them, but
they are sort of a hollow ground at the fat end, not the same. And
they are relatively expensive.

Pipefitters use them, I have found them useful for all sorts of
spreading and aligning. Anyone know where to find such a thing?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pipefitters use them, I have found them useful for all sorts of
spreading and aligning. Anyone know where to find such a thing?

yea, I've seen and used them also. I got a whole bunch of 24' 2x6 nailed
together into a post a while back. I used wedges to drive to drive them
apart . Made quick work out of a tuff job.

I just built my own. That's why I own a milling machine.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wally wrote:
Sometime back I was given a couple steel wedges, just hard flat steel
about 1" wide, 1/4" thick at the fat end and tapering down to nothing.
I have looked all over locally (Tacoma and Bremerton, Washington) and
no one has them. I found some on McMaster-Carr and ordered them, but
they are sort of a hollow ground at the fat end, not the same. And
they are relatively expensive.

Pipefitters use them, I have found them useful for all sorts of
spreading and aligning. Anyone know where to find such a thing?

In steel underwear, of course. :-)

Jim Chandler (Sorry, couldn't resist)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 16, 8:11 pm, Wally wrote:
Sometime back I was given a couple steel wedges, just hard flat steel
about 1" wide, 1/4" thick at the fat end and tapering down to nothing.
I have looked all over locally (Tacoma and Bremerton, Washington) and
no one has them. I found some on McMaster-Carr and ordered them, but
they are sort of a hollow ground at the fat end, not the same. And
they are relatively expensive.

Pipefitters use them, I have found them useful for all sorts of
spreading and aligning. Anyone know where to find such a thing?

I have no idea, when you find a good source, let us know. I could use
a small batch of those. Maybe some day I'll just knuckle down at the
B'Port and make a bunch.
I'd bet a machinery setup/repair/moving supply might have them, but
probably expensive...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 16, 11:11 pm, Wally wrote:
Sometime back I was given a couple steel wedges, just hard flat steel
about 1" wide, 1/4" thick at the fat end and tapering down to nothing.
I have looked all over locally (Tacoma and Bremerton, Washington) and
no one has them. I found some on McMaster-Carr and ordered them, but
they are sort of a hollow ground at the fat end, not the same. And
they are relatively expensive.

Pipefitters use them, I have found them useful for all sorts of
spreading and aligning. Anyone know where to find such a thing?

Check McMaster Carr for "flange wedges".

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wally wrote:
Sometime back I was given a couple steel wedges, just hard flat steel
about 1" wide, 1/4" thick at the fat end and tapering down to nothing.
I have looked all over locally (Tacoma and Bremerton, Washington) and
no one has them. I found some on McMaster-Carr and ordered them, but
they are sort of a hollow ground at the fat end, not the same. And
they are relatively expensive.

Pipefitters use them, I have found them useful for all sorts of
spreading and aligning. Anyone know where to find such a thing?

I buy mine at Ballard Hardware in Seattle. Machine wedges.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wally" wrote in message
Sometime back I was given a couple steel wedges, just hard flat steel
about 1" wide, 1/4" thick at the fat end and tapering down to nothing.
I have looked all over locally (Tacoma and Bremerton, Washington) and
no one has them. I found some on McMaster-Carr and ordered them, but
they are sort of a hollow ground at the fat end, not the same. And
they are relatively expensive.

Pipefitters use them, I have found them useful for all sorts of
spreading and aligning. Anyone know where to find such a thing?

Wally,
MSC (mscdirect.com) sell them also. They call them clamping wedges, they're
on page 1067.
Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You can make them yourself with a good cutting torch and finish them with a
grinder. I know many welders and mechanics who have done it.

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..

| "Wally" wrote in message
| Sometime back I was given a couple steel wedges, just hard flat steel
| about 1" wide, 1/4" thick at the fat end and tapering down to nothing.
| I have looked all over locally (Tacoma and Bremerton, Washington) and
| no one has them. I found some on McMaster-Carr and ordered them, but
| they are sort of a hollow ground at the fat end, not the same. And
| they are relatively expensive.
|
| Pipefitters use them, I have found them useful for all sorts of
| spreading and aligning. Anyone know where to find such a thing?
|
| Wally,
| MSC (mscdirect.com) sell them also. They call them clamping wedges,
they're
| on page 1067.
| Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wally" wrote in message
Sometime back I was given a couple steel wedges, just hard flat steel
about 1" wide, 1/4" thick at the fat end and tapering down to nothing.
I have looked all over locally (Tacoma and Bremerton, Washington) and
no one has them. I found some on McMaster-Carr and ordered them, but
they are sort of a hollow ground at the fat end, not the same. And
they are relatively expensive.

Pipefitters use them, I have found them useful for all sorts of
spreading and aligning. Anyone know where to find such a thing?

Shops that install trailer hitches.

-Carl
--
The future isn't what it used to be.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You could have them made at any local steel supply center. One way is to
have them custom flame cut or sawn out of six inch by one inch thick flat
bar. The bar is cocked over out of square for each cut.
Most fab shops make their own.
Randy

"Wally" wrote in message
Sometime back I was given a couple steel wedges, just hard flat steel
about 1" wide, 1/4" thick at the fat end and tapering down to nothing.
I have looked all over locally (Tacoma and Bremerton, Washington) and
no one has them. I found some on McMaster-Carr and ordered them, but
they are sort of a hollow ground at the fat end, not the same. And
they are relatively expensive.

Pipefitters use them, I have found them useful for all sorts of
spreading and aligning. Anyone know where to find such a thing?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Take a look at a printing supply company to lock up type in a chase for a
letterpress they would use wedges that interlocked and could be opened or
closed with a key. They are called quoins.

"Jim Chandler" wrote in message
Wally wrote:
Sometime back I was given a couple steel wedges, just hard flat steel
about 1" wide, 1/4" thick at the fat end and tapering down to nothing.
I have looked all over locally (Tacoma and Bremerton, Washington) and
no one has them. I found some on McMaster-Carr and ordered them, but
they are sort of a hollow ground at the fat end, not the same. And
they are relatively expensive. Pipefitters use them, I have found them
useful for all sorts of
spreading and aligning. Anyone know where to find such a thing?

In steel underwear, of course. :-)

Jim Chandler (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Wally wrote:

Sometime back I was given a couple steel wedges, just hard flat steel
about 1" wide, 1/4" thick at the fat end and tapering down to nothing.
I have looked all over locally (Tacoma and Bremerton, Washington) and
no one has them. I found some on McMaster-Carr and ordered them, but
they are sort of a hollow ground at the fat end, not the same. And
they are relatively expensive.

Pipefitters use them, I have found them useful for all sorts of
spreading and aligning. Anyone know where to find such a thing?

Central Welding Supply stores in the greater Seattle area carry them.
Also Pacific Welding in Tacoma likely has them on the shelf.