DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   band brake lining material - anybody know 'sources' for the stuff? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/211103-band-brake-lining-material-anybody-know-sources-stuff.html)

dave August 16th 07 05:40 PM

band brake lining material - anybody know 'sources' for the stuff?

anybody know where to aquire band brake -lining- material? prefer a
single piece approx 3/4 inch wide by 24 inches long, roughly .1875 thick
or thereabouts. web searches futile so far...

http://machines.pandela.net/winch_ar...os/photo2.html
winch_arrived02.jpg

am I gonna end up just "liquid nails, heavy duty for construction"
gluing a piece of old leather belt to the inside of the brake band?

thanks for your help, guys

toolie

ps - "asbestos infested" or "non-asbestos" probably fine for my needs

- -
replies by e-mail, if any, please remove the weirdstuff from my address
before you click 'send' - thanks :-)
- -

dave August 16th 07 05:44 PM

band brake lining material - anybody know 'sources' for the stuff?(imageadded)

forgot to add the image link for this one, too:

Randal O'Brian August 16th 07 06:39 PM

"dave" wrote in message
anybody know where to aquire band brake -lining- material? prefer a single
piece approx 3/4 inch wide by 24 inches long, roughly .1875 thick or
thereabouts. web searches futile so far...

http://machines.pandela.net/winch_ar...os/photo2.html
winch_arrived02.jpg

am I gonna end up just "liquid nails, heavy duty for construction" gluing
a piece of old leather belt to the inside of the brake band?

thanks for your help, guys

toolie

ps - "asbestos infested" or "non-asbestos" probably fine for my needs

- -
replies by e-mail, if any, please remove the weirdstuff from my address
before you click 'send' - thanks :-)

Mcmaster.com has several different types in 1" width. Search on "brake
lining".

Randy

Wes[_2_] August 16th 07 08:25 PM

dave wrote:

am I gonna end up just "liquid nails, heavy duty for construction"
gluing a piece of old leather belt to the inside of the brake band?

That is an interesting question. What sort of adhesive works best for
gluing friction material to steel. I know cyanoacrylates let go at about
250F or so iirc so that would be a bad choice. I glued a piece of shim
stock to the knee gib on my bridgeport and it was not thick enough. A bit
of time in the kitchen oven and that came off.

So you chemists on the list, what would be a good choice?

Wes

Newshound August 16th 07 09:57 PM

band brake lining material - anybody know 'sources' for the stuff?

So you chemists on the list, what would be a good choice?

Wes

In the trade, they use phenolics; and bake the old shoes to maybe 350 C to
get them off.

Steve R.[_2_] August 17th 07 01:45 AM

"dave" wrote in message
anybody know where to aquire band brake -lining- material? prefer a single
piece approx 3/4 inch wide by 24 inches long, roughly .1875 thick or
thereabouts. web searches futile so far...

http://machines.pandela.net/winch_ar...os/photo2.html
winch_arrived02.jpg

am I gonna end up just "liquid nails, heavy duty for construction" gluing
a piece of old leather belt to the inside of the brake band?

thanks for your help, guys

toolie

ps - "asbestos infested" or "non-asbestos" probably fine for my needs

- -
replies by e-mail, if any, please remove the weirdstuff from my address
before you click 'send' - thanks :-)
- -

Firms that supply vintage car restorers might be able to help. I once had
some for Ford Model T brakes, and used part of it to reline the shoes of a
1962 Norton motorcycle.

Steve R.

--
Return address munged to bugger up spammers

Larry Jaques August 17th 07 02:29 AM

band brake lining material - anybody know 'sources' for the stuff?

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:40:54 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, dave
quickly quoth:

anybody know where to aquire band brake -lining- material? prefer a
single piece approx 3/4 inch wide by 24 inches long, roughly .1875 thick
or thereabouts. web searches futile so far...

http://machines.pandela.net/winch_ar...os/photo2.html
winch_arrived02.jpg

am I gonna end up just "liquid nails, heavy duty for construction"
gluing a piece of old leather belt to the inside of the brake band?

thanks for your help, guys

I used to be friends with the local brake shop owners and they'd do
stuff like that for me for $10 or $20. I turned my own drums and
rotors on their brake lathes for $5 a pop. Chances are good that your
local independent brake shop will do it for fairly cheap, riveting and
the right sort of lining. Check it out before you waste a day on a
(possibly) bad fix.

--
Seen on a bumper sticker: ARM THE HOMELESS

[email protected] October 3rd 07 10:31 AM

On 16 Aug, 17:40, dave wrote:
anybody know where to aquirebandbrake-lining- material? prefer a
single piece approx 3/4 inch wide by 24 inches long, roughly .1875 thick
or thereabouts. web searches futile so far...

http://machines.pandela.net/winch_ar...os/photo2.html
winch_arrived02.jpg

am I gonna end up just "liquid nails, heavy duty for construction"
gluing a piece of old leather belt to the inside of thebrakeband?

thanks for your help, guys

toolie

ps - "asbestos infested" or "non-asbestos" probably fine for my needs

- -
replies by e-mail, if any, please remove the weirdstuff from my address
before you click 'send' - thanks :-)
- -

where abouts are you m8?