Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding NG is full

What happened to the s.e.j.welding NG? It's over run with random junk.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 01:05:46 GMT, RoyJ wrote:
What happened to the s.e.j.welding NG? It's over run with random junk.

If you can killfile any posts in sci.engr.joining.welding that are
also crossposted to sci.crypt, you will be just fine. Some USENET
asshole is waging a war on sci.crypt, I suppose.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus10724" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 01:05:46 GMT, RoyJ wrote:
What happened to the s.e.j.welding NG? It's over run with random junk.

If you can killfile any posts in sci.engr.joining.welding that are
also crossposted to sci.crypt, you will be just fine. Some USENET
asshole is waging a war on sci.crypt, I suppose.

Iggy, you're a jewel. I added a rule to my news according to this, and will
see if it works. Welding is flooded. You can go there, clear it out, and
by the time you click back on it, you have 4-6 messages already. Some
people have sad empty lives. Mine is busy, but not nearly half of what you
do.

Thanks for the tip.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus10724 wrote:

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 01:05:46 GMT, RoyJ wrote:
What happened to the s.e.j.welding NG? It's over run with random junk.

If you can killfile any posts in sci.engr.joining.welding that are
also crossposted to sci.crypt, you will be just fine. Some USENET
asshole is waging a war on sci.crypt, I suppose.

Looks like the same folks are doing a number on rec.skydiving... theirs
are posted to sci.crypt and rec.skydiving.

Erik

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Erik writes:

In article ,
Ignoramus10724 wrote:

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 01:05:46 GMT, RoyJ wrote:
What happened to the s.e.j.welding NG? It's over run with random junk.

If you can killfile any posts in sci.engr.joining.welding that are
also crossposted to sci.crypt, you will be just fine. Some USENET
asshole is waging a war on sci.crypt, I suppose.

Looks like the same folks are doing a number on rec.skydiving... theirs
are posted to sci.crypt and rec.skydiving.

sci.crypt is the target -- rec.arts.sf.written is getting it too, with
the random noise posts there also crossposted to sci.crypt.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 03:29:17 GMT, RoyJ wrote:

Bugger. Thunderbird does not have a filter option for specifying posting
NG. I'm impressed with the quantity. Looks like a dozen entries per minute.

RoyJ wrote:
Ah ha! Done.

Ignoramus10724 wrote:
On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 01:05:46 GMT, RoyJ wrote:
What happened to the s.e.j.welding NG? It's over run with random junk.

If you can killfile any posts in sci.engr.joining.welding that are
also crossposted to sci.crypt, you will be just fine. Some USENET
asshole is waging a war on sci.crypt, I suppose.

Agent doesn't have a specific qualifier for newsgroups, but I got the
desired results by just entering "sci.crypt" in the filter. Maybe
that'll work for Thunderbird. It still takes a while to download and
mark read over 2000 posts.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 03:29:17 GMT, RoyJ wrote:

Bugger. Thunderbird does not have a filter option for specifying posting
NG. I'm impressed with the quantity. Looks like a dozen entries per minute.

RoyJ wrote:
Ah ha! Done.

Ignoramus10724 wrote:
On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 01:05:46 GMT, RoyJ wrote:
What happened to the s.e.j.welding NG? It's over run with random junk.

If you can killfile any posts in sci.engr.joining.welding that are
also crossposted to sci.crypt, you will be just fine. Some USENET
asshole is waging a war on sci.crypt, I suppose.

Agent doesn't have a specific qualifier for newsgroups, but I got the
desired results by just entering "sci.crypt" in the filter. Maybe
that'll work for Thunderbird. It still takes a while to download and
mark read over 2000 posts.

Pete Keillor

While this is going on, it might be worth a try to put a keyword (or words, such as "welding") in
the subject line.
Then create a filter with your reader to flag or highlight the good posts.....Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 12, 12:57 pm, "catguy" news01S-P-A-M-B-L-
wrote:
"Pete Keillor" wrote in message

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 03:29:17 GMT, RoyJ wrote:

Bugger. Thunderbird does not have a filter option for specifying posting
NG. I'm impressed with the quantity. Looks like a dozen entries per minute.

RoyJ wrote:
Ah ha! Done.

Ignoramus10724 wrote:
On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 01:05:46 GMT, RoyJ wrote:
What happened to the s.e.j.welding NG? It's over run with random junk.

If you can killfile any posts in sci.engr.joining.welding that are
also crossposted to sci.crypt, you will be just fine. Some USENET
asshole is waging a war on sci.crypt, I suppose.

Agent doesn't have a specific qualifier for newsgroups, but I got the
desired results by just entering "sci.crypt" in the filter. Maybe
that'll work for Thunderbird. It still takes a while to download and
mark read over 2000 posts.

Pete Keillor

While this is going on, it might be worth a try to put a keyword (or words, such as "welding") in
the subject line.
Then create a filter with your reader to flag or highlight the good posts.....Paul- Hide quoted text -

How does one correct this situation?

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm trying to figure out how - even turned in a request for enhancement
on the filter. Getting way out of hand.

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Ignoramus10724 wrote:
On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 01:05:46 GMT, RoyJ wrote:
What happened to the s.e.j.welding NG? It's over run with random junk.

If you can killfile any posts in sci.engr.joining.welding that are
also crossposted to sci.crypt, you will be just fine. Some USENET
asshole is waging a war on sci.crypt, I suppose.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RoyJ" wrote:
It seems to have stopped, at least on my NG server. It was coming in at
the rate of several per minute.

Aye, news.individual.net filtered all of the garbage from that group as
well.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default RCM: - Rec.Crafts.Metalworking - Country boys will survive

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

While this is going on, it might be worth a try to put a keyword (or words, such as "welding") in
the subject line.
Then create a filter with your reader to flag or highlight the good posts.....Paul- Hide quoted text -

How does one correct this situation?

TMT

Metalworking?
Rec.Crafts.Metalworking?

How about RCM: as teh beginning of a tipic title?

Easy to filter...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 05:02:00 GMT, cavelamb himself
wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

While this is going on, it might be worth a try to put a keyword (or words, such as "welding") in
the subject line.
Then create a filter with your reader to flag or highlight the good posts.....Paul- Hide quoted text -

How does one correct this situation?

TMT

Metalworking?
Rec.Crafts.Metalworking?

How about RCM: as teh beginning of a tipic title?

Easy to filter...

Worth a try. What about the way I'm replying though, where it goes
out with RE in front?

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
"Pete Keillor" wrote in message

.. .

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 03:29:17 GMT, RoyJ wrote:

Bugger. Thunderbird does not have a filter option for specifying posting
NG. I'm impressed with the quantity. Looks like a dozen entries per minute.

RoyJ wrote:
Ah ha! Done.

Ignoramus10724 wrote:
On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 01:05:46 GMT, RoyJ wrote:
What happened to the s.e.j.welding NG? It's over run with random junk.

If you can killfile any posts in sci.engr.joining.welding that are
also crossposted to sci.crypt, you will be just fine. Some USENET
asshole is waging a war on sci.crypt, I suppose.

Agent doesn't have a specific qualifier for newsgroups, but I got the
desired results by just entering "sci.crypt" in the filter. Maybe
that'll work for Thunderbird. It still takes a while to download and
mark read over 2000 posts.

Pete Keillor

While this is going on, it might be worth a try to put a keyword (or words, such as "welding") in
the subject line.
Then create a filter with your reader to flag or highlight the good posts.....Paul- Hide quoted text -

How does one correct this situation?

TMT- Hide quoted text -

Well this is going to shoot to hell the stats for this week.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

While this is going on, it might be worth a try to put a keyword (or words, such as "welding") in
the subject line.
Then create a filter with your reader to flag or highlight the good posts.....Paul- Hide quoted text -

How does one correct this situation?

TMT

Metalworking?
Rec.Crafts.Metalworking?

How about RCM: as teh beginning of a tipic title?

Easy to filter...

Worth a try. What about the way I'm replying though, where it goes
out with RE in front?

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Maybe we have to let it go that way too?

I realized that was going to be an issue a few minutes into this.

What the heck!

Lests see if it works???

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Worth a try. What about the way I'm replying though, where it goes
out with RE in front?

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Maybe we have to let it go that way too?

I realized that was going to be an issue a few minutes into this.

What the heck!

Lests see if it works???

Richard

Well?

How 'bout them doggies???
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default RCM: Welding NG is full

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Well this is going to shoot to hell the stats for this week.

TMT

ROTF-LOL

Yup!

What do you thin, TMT?

Will this RCM: header work for you?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Filtering out anything with sci.crypt in the x-ref field does it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
Filtering out anything with sci.crypt in the x-ref field does it.

Assuming that your reader *has* an x-ref field in its filters! Not all
(not many?) do. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Please post text string for the kill; I'm not all that skilled in
unix and I suspect neither are a pile of others who are getting this stuff.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : A steaming pile of
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : obscure information...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , steamer wrote:
--Please post text string for the kill; I'm not all that skilled in
unix and I suspect neither are a pile of others who are getting this stuff.

Just filter out anything that's crossposted to sci.crypt . That group is the
real target of this flood.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Doug Miller :
In article , steamer wrote:
--Please post text string for the kill; I'm not all that skilled in
unix and I suspect neither are a pile of others who are getting this stuff.

Just filter out anything that's crossposted to sci.crypt . That group is the
real target of this flood.

It depends (somewhat) on your newsreader. With mine (trn), in
the killfile specific for rec.crafts.metalworking I have the following
line as the first active line:

/: .*sci.crypt/h:j

the "/h:j" says "Look anywhere in the headers (since it does not seem to
have a specific entry for the "Newgroups: " header line), for anything
which has some unknown count of other characters ".*" followed by
"sci.crypt", and "junk" (mark as already read) those which match.

There are other one which check the "From: " header "/f:", and
without any specifier, it assumes that you are only killfiling on the
"Subject: " header.

I suspect that most unix newsreaders have similar killfiles, but
there may be details which are different.

Note that the killfile change won't do anything with articles
which the newsreader already knows about (unless you fake it into
thinking that it does not know about them), but it will zap the new ones
as they are discovered.

In trn, you can edit the killfile (using either vi by default,
or whatever editor you have indicated in the EDITOR environment
variable) by typing '^K" (control-K). Or -- you can find where it
stores the killfile on your system. There can be a global killfile for
those who are trying to read two or more newsgrops which are under
attack at the same time.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to Doug Miller :
In article , steamer
wrote:
[...]

I was getting aggravated with this childish bull****. I had put "," in the
specified newsgroups portion of my filter. But still, I was getting sporge.
Today, I installed RegistryFix which I had done on my other computers. I
did a scan and it had over 500 problems.

Then I went to newsgroups again, and all I got was messages specific to that
newsgroup. After this goes away, I'll remove the comma from newsgroup
rules, and get back to normal.

I think there should be some hefty fines and jail time for people who would
interrupt interstate communications like this. It doesn't seem that hard to
find out who's doing it, but I guess it's down on the list of priorities.

Too bad shooting, castration and hanging has been shunned by society. A
couple of those, and the problems would go away quickly.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to SteveB :

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ ... ]

It depends (somewhat) on your newsreader. With mine (trn), in
the killfile specific for rec.crafts.metalworking I have the following
line as the first active line:

/: .*sci.crypt/h:j

[ ... ]

I was getting aggravated with this childish bull****. I had put "," in the
specified newsgroups portion of my filter. But still, I was getting sporge.
Today, I installed RegistryFix which I had done on my other computers. I
did a scan and it had over 500 problems.

I *hate* the Windows Registry -- a serious way to hide what you
need to know to control your computer. So -- I don't use Windows for
anything related tot he net. :-)

Then I went to newsgroups again, and all I got was messages specific to that
newsgroup. After this goes away, I'll remove the comma from newsgroup
rules, and get back to normal.

Great -- though this will also lose you things cross-posted to
alt.machines.cnc and sci.engineering.joining.welding, which you may wish
to read.

Just put sci.crypt in place of that comma, and it should get rid
of this particular run, at least.

I think there should be some hefty fines and jail time for people who would
interrupt interstate communications like this. It doesn't seem that hard to
find out who's doing it, but I guess it's down on the list of priorities.

One of the problems is that it is not just interstate, but
actually international. The system which has been spewing this garbage
into the newsfeed is a system in Greece at the University of Crete.
And, I'll bet that was a Windows box compromised by a virus -- possibly
one injected by one of of those e-cards which have been flooding e-mail
recently, so whoever actually *commanded that system could be anywhere
in the world, and almost certainly not at the University of Crete.

Perhaps the staff is back (on Monday) and has shut down and
cleaned the machine responsible for this. (They always start something
like this at the beginning of a weekend, so there is the maximum time
before someone with the power to shut it down comes in.

Too bad shooting, castration and hanging has been shunned by society. A
couple of those, and the problems would go away quickly.

*If* we could lay our hands on the person actually responsible,
perhaps somebody would be willing to take a chance -- especially if it
is in some other country.

Hmm ... a cruise missile with a homing instinct for a specific
IP address? :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote

According to SteveB :

Too bad shooting, castration and hanging has been shunned by society. A
couple of those, and the problems would go away quickly.

Actually, I meant to write that if we did that to a COUPLE of people, not do
a COUPLE of those things to one person, as in pick two from a Chinese menu.

Although, giving the perp the choice might be a sadistic twist ....

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 09:46:46 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:

Filtering out anything with sci.crypt in the x-ref field does it.

What news reader do you use. Agent doesn't have that facility.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 00:08:29 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote

According to SteveB :

Too bad shooting, castration and hanging has been shunned by society. A
couple of those, and the problems would go away quickly.

Actually, I meant to write that if we did that to a COUPLE of people, not do
a COUPLE of those things to one person, as in pick two from a Chinese menu.

Although, giving the perp the choice might be a sadistic twist ....

Steve

One could certainly do all three to a perp easily enough.

When kneecapping someone, shoot them in the knee, from the backside of
the knee joint.

Now that they cannot run...castration follows, (be sure to use hot tar
to seal off the blood vessels so they dont bleed out...lots of hot
tar..or even melted sugar.

Then a nice slow hanging..toes just touching the floor. Your handy
engine hoist works just fine for this. Pump and release until you get
bored, then pump it up until the toes are just touching.

Enjoy the Spandau Ballet that follows.

Though..a nice deep and wide box cutter slice just above the belt
buckle will drop their intestines on the floor in front of them, and
not kill them. A nice touch just before the hanging..so they are
slipping and sliding on their own guts.

Sorta like a clown act on ice.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Filtering out anything with sci.crypt in the x-ref field does it.

What news reader do you use. Agent doesn't have that facility.

For MSWindows you could use something like nfilter (free) to
pre-filter groups
http://www.nfilter.org
http://www.nfilter.org/faq.html#3.6

slrn also seems to have a windows version and gravity can filter
based on crossposting.
http://slrn.sourceforge.net/

http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tba...-ex.html#flame
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Filtering out anything with sci.crypt in the x-ref field does it.

What news reader do you use. Agent doesn't have that facility.

For MSWindows you could use something like nfilter (free) to
pre-filter groups
http://www.nfilter.org
http://www.nfilter.org/faq.html#3.6

It doesn't work right under XP. It worked, somewhat under ME and
older WIN OS.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell