Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wiring for welder

I am busily moving into my new shop and need to do some serious wiring
upgrades.

I've thought about, sometime in the future, adding an AC/DC stick welder
(probably the ubiquitous Lincoln 225A "tombstone") and would like to plan
for it. The problem is that the data sheet on the Lincoln website only
tells you the power requirement is 220v, 60 Hz, single phase. Nary a word
about the current requirement.

Anybody own one who knows off hand what the supply current is?

Thanks.

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My Lincoln 225 (AC only) runs happily on a 50A 220V breaker. I
believe the Lincoln comes with the correct recepatcle, but the spec
sheet says "with power cable and attached plug". The specs say max
draw of 50A at 220VAC, 60 Hz. Mine came with a NEMA 6-50P plug, so it
took a 6-50R recaptacle (looks like an oversize regular 3-prong power
plug). I'd check at Home Depot, the AC/DC lists at $390 and see if
they have one or maybe the AC only one and look at the plug. Joel in
Florida
=============
On Aug 11, 5:42 pm, "Jerry Foster"
wrote:
I am busily moving into my new shop and need to do some serious wiring
upgrades.

I've thought about, sometime in the future, adding an AC/DC stick welder
(probably the ubiquitous Lincoln 225A "tombstone") and would like to plan
for it. The problem is that the data sheet on the Lincoln website only
tells you the power requirement is 220v, 60 Hz, single phase. Nary a word
about the current requirement.

Anybody own one who knows off hand what the supply current is?

Thanks.

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jerry Foster" wrote:

I've thought about, sometime in the future, adding an AC/DC stick welder
(probably the ubiquitous Lincoln 225A "tombstone") and would like to plan
for it. The problem is that the data sheet on the Lincoln website only
tells you the power requirement is 220v, 60 Hz, single phase. Nary a word
about the current requirement.

Assuming max voltage is around 40 or volts at the stinger, I'd say 50 amps
will do it.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

As the others have said, or referenced, the welder will require 50A *at
its maximum output* (225A). I don't think in 20 years that I have ever
run mine at more than 125A. So if I were adding an outlet in the
garage, say, I would run a 30A circuit just because I could use 10 ga
wire iso 6(?) ga. Cheaper and much easier to handle.

YMMV,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 21:42:54 GMT, the renowned "Jerry Foster"
wrote:

I am busily moving into my new shop and need to do some serious wiring
upgrades.

I've thought about, sometime in the future, adding an AC/DC stick welder
(probably the ubiquitous Lincoln 225A "tombstone") and would like to plan
for it. The problem is that the data sheet on the Lincoln website only
tells you the power requirement is 220v, 60 Hz, single phase. Nary a word
about the current requirement.

Anybody own one who knows off hand what the supply current is?

Thanks.

Jerry

Is this the one?
http://content.lincolnelectric.com/p...ature/e230.pdf

You can see the input current rating down near the bottom of the first
page, for different models.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 19:31:08 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

As the others have said, or referenced, the welder will require 50A *at
its maximum output* (225A). I don't think in 20 years that I have ever
run mine at more than 125A. So if I were adding an outlet in the
garage, say, I would run a 30A circuit just because I could use 10 ga
wire iso 6(?) ga. Cheaper and much easier to handle.

Wire is cheap if you only have to do it once - the cost difference
for a short run of #6 vs. #10 is negligible. It costs more to build
it once, rip it out, throw it on the scrap pile, and start over.

If it's a long run between the garage/workshop and the main service
panel, you run a 100A or 125A line and put a sub-panel in the garage.

Then the leads to the 50A 240V welder receptacle and your other
power tools are nice and short, and you can run the 5 HP air
compressor (30A 240V circuit) at the same time. If you ever plan to
get a plasma cutter you need air and weld power at the same time.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I just hung 4500' of #6.

Thank Crom I only had to sign for it...not pay for it....

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 11, 2:42?pm, "Jerry Foster"
wrote:
I am busily moving into my new shop and need to do some serious wiring
upgrades.

I've thought about, sometime in the future, adding an AC/DC stick welder
(probably the ubiquitous Lincoln 225A "tombstone") and would like to plan
for it.

Thanks.

Jerry

Some people swear by this machine and some at it.
I'm one of the latter.
I've used these lincolns where trhe multiple contact switch did not
make a good connection and had to be clicked back and forth several
times to get maximum output for that range.
My preference is the 225A Miller. The output is regulated by moving
the core in or out of the transformer.Not only does this give stepless
output control but provides a higher open circuit voltage for easier
weld starting.

Engineman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Would that spool even FIT in your little ranger?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt writes:

As the others have said, or referenced, the welder will require 50A
*at its maximum output* (225A). I don't think in 20 years that I have
ever run mine at more than 125A. So if I were adding an outlet in the
garage, say, I would run a 30A circuit just because I could use 10 ga
wire iso 6(?) ga. Cheaper and much easier to handle.

Wire the outlet for the rated maximum of what you're going to plug
into it. Don't put in an inadequate circuit, planning to never turn
the welder up all the way.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Sure did, 6 spools at a time G

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I hope the place had the A/C running well..

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

[...]