Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default need outboard motor prop measurement

IT RAINED!!!!!!!! 2.8 INCHES. That means I now have time to do important
stuff and not spend my life watching the irrigator.

Anyway, my apple packing line uses an electric trolling motor propeller in a
tube to pump water and thus make the apples move down the flume. This prop
has a very small lead so I run high RPM to get enough flow. The bearings on
the prop shaft have went out a dozen times (over 20 years) and its a bitch
to change them. Its really noisy in the room when I keep on running with a
bearing out.

I want to install a VFD on this motor to slow it down and then get a prop
with more thrust. The pipe has a 12" I.D. So, I need to find a prop that has
11" span maximum. My 5hp kicker outboard has only 8" span. Plan "A" was to
use that, but I'd like to find a bit larger one.

Can anybody take measurements off of old common small outboards so I can
start asking for a certain model? I'm guessing that old 9.5 mercury ,common
as dirt, might be the right size. Better yet, anybody know of an outboard
salvage yard?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

Can anybody take measurements off of old common small outboards so I can
start asking for a certain model? I'm guessing that old 9.5 mercury
,common as dirt, might be the right size. Better yet, anybody know of an
outboard salvage yard?

Karl

Find yourself a propeller repair shop- these guys can be kind of hard to
locate as they don't need to advertise- the local marina$ generally act as a
middleman for the prop shop and add their own huge markup. Try the yellow
pages under propeller repair or aluminum welding- the two go hand in hand.

-Carl
--
The future isn't what it used to be.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ebay has plenty of propellers, for not too much money.

Example of such a prop is ebay item 220131942499.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 10:20:34 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

[...]

These guys repair a lot of motors, may have some junkers on hand:
http://addresses.yellowpages.com/mor...Supreme-Marine

Check out
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...L&cmid=PP_P2_1

Select a prop intended for a larger 24-volt or 36-volt trolling motor.
They'll have more thrust at given RPM. I think trolling motors tend
to run slower than outboards because quiet is a valued attribute.

Try Mark's Prop Shop in Forest Lake. He has a lot of props, both new
and rebuilt.

There are plastic "comp props" for outboards. Check out
http://www.comprop.com/evinr.html

Model O4423 is a 4-blade 10-inch dia 13-pitch for older ca 25 HP OMC
motors. I think Bass Pro carries some of these, Cabela's might also,
and Mark may stock them. (651) 982-9476

BTW, it isn't real close to Dassel but Mark is genius good with TIG.
When he rebuilds a prop, stainless or ally, it's at least as good as
new. He does other specialty welding too. I've seen him repairing
mfg dies that were probably worth very big bux.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Better idea - redesign the pump. You need low pressure high volume.

They have a nifty way of moving the water in boat flume rides (It's
A Small World, Pirates Of The Caribbean, among others...) to create a
current and push the boats - submersible well pump motors with a high
attack-angle propeller and volute cone on the end to direct a water
jet, instead of the regular well pump head.

And it's QUIET! The motor is "TEWO" for long life.

Might want a screen around the inlet so you don't make applesauce if
one gets in the wrong place...

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default RCM: need outboard motor prop measurement

Hi Guys:

I'm going through the current topics to hopefully suggest a way to tag
valid RCM traffic.

Add RCM: on the beginning of the title line -
BEFORE the obligatory OT, OK?

Then we can filter on that tag.

Also need to add a filter for RCM: to get the reply lines.

Hang tight - keep posting.

CaveLamb

Reassembling old 2hp outboard motor - 3 qns, TIA. Al Deveron UK diy 1 July 9th 06 09:04 PM
OUTBOARD MOTOR STAND J T Woodworking 0 August 17th 05 02:32 AM
OUTBOARD MOTOR STAND J T Woodworking 9 April 26th 04 04:41 PM
Cheap 'prop' ? T i m UK diy 4 February 29th 04 04:29 PM