Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Scraping reference surface

I have no connection to this company.

http://www.machinerepair.com/scrapers.html

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see a raw casting for a
25" x 3" wide raw casting that you can scrape in to use as a reference
surface. At $210.00 plus S&H it seems like a logical first step for those
that want to improve your old iron.

I figure if you can't get this thing scraped in, it is better to leave your
machine alone and deal with it's inaccuracy's.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 23:09:43 -0400, Wes wrote:

I have no connection to this company.

http://www.machinerepair.com/scrapers.html

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see a raw casting for a
25" x 3" wide raw casting that you can scrape in to use as a reference
surface. At $210.00 plus S&H it seems like a logical first step for those
that want to improve your old iron.

I figure if you can't get this thing scraped in, it is better to leave your
machine alone and deal with it's inaccuracy's.

Wes

scraping reference surfaces requires that you scrape three at a time.

scrape two to mate perfectly.
scrape the third to match one of the others.
check the third against the untouched other one.
then back through the three steps above until all three are a perfect
mate up to both others.
$630 is still reasonable though.

Stealth Pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stealth Pilot wrote:

scraping reference surfaces requires that you scrape three at a time.

That is if you don't have a reference surface.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 09:31:19 -0400, Wes wrote:

Stealth Pilot wrote:

scraping reference surfaces requires that you scrape three at a time.

That is if you don't have a reference surface.

Wes

And if you are positive that the reference surface is flat...

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
I have no connection to this company.

http://www.machinerepair.com/scrapers.html

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see a raw casting for a
25" x 3" wide raw casting that you can scrape in to use as a reference
surface. At $210.00 plus S&H it seems like a logical first step for those
that want to improve your old iron.

I figure if you can't get this thing scraped in, it is better to leave
your
machine alone and deal with it's inaccuracy's.

I believe that is Michael Morgan's web site. Run a Google Groups search on
that name and you should find that several buyers have had problems getting
product from him. He still owes me the Bridgeport rebuilding book or at
least a refund.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And if you are positive that the reference surface is flat...

There is a thread going today about that at:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ub...c/30/6548.html

Forrest Addy was writing on how to test for flatness. I have two granites
and work has a bunch of them. I've been planning to set my granites up on
works far larger (and better) granites and sweep mine with my tenths
indicator.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mike Henry" wrote:

I believe that is Michael Morgan's web site. Run a Google Groups search on
that name and you should find that several buyers have had problems getting
product from him. He still owes me the Bridgeport rebuilding book or at
least a refund.

Darn. He doesn't have a stellar rep from first glance.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ub...15.html#000000

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...rch+this+group

It appears he had a bankruptcy. I wonder if he has run his business any
better this try?

What year did he fail to deliver what you ordered?

Having worked in a company that failed, I learned during the process that
those that have prepaid in full get little satisfaction. If you only have a
deposit then the courts, if they approve a reorganization plan, will likely
require that orders with deposits be satisfied. Kinda weird if I understand
it correctly. I guess the idea is cash flow.

Since I planned to make this a late fall purchase to get me through the snow
season, I'll hold off a bit on making a purchase until I can check his
current rep out a bit better. Thanks for the intel.

If I do buy it will be with my credit card since it has buyer protection
(hope that isn't a scam).

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see a raw casting for a
25" x 3" wide raw casting that you can scrape in to use as a reference
surface. Â*At $210.00 plus S&H it seems like a logical first step for those
that want to improve your old iron.

Very nice tool, but quite expensive. You could get a 60° prism of accuracy 1
500mm long for 300.- EUR. Preisser brand (www.preisser.com). Mine will
arrive this week.

Nick
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Mike Henry" wrote:

[...]

Based on email exchanges it did seem like he had a run of bad luck. I've
long since given up on a refund and bear him no ill will.

I do have one of his unfinished straight edges that will eventually get
Ebayed or sold outright since it is no longer needed. It has a small cavity
(casting defect?) that can probably be milled out at the expense of some
"meat". If you buy a new one you might check with other owners to see if it
is a frequent occurrence.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And if you are positive that the reference surface is flat...

You don't get a protocol for Chinese grave stones. Right?

Nick

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default RCM: Scraping reference surface

Hi Guys:

I'm going through the current topics to hopefully suggest a way to tag
valid RCM traffic.

Add RCM: on the beginning of the title line -
BEFORE the obligatory OT, OK?

Then we can filter on that tag.

Also need to add a filter for RCM: to get the reply lines.

Hang tight - keep posting.

CaveLamb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

I'm going through the current topics to hopefully suggest a way to tag
valid RCM traffic.

No more OT-postings. Easy.

Nick
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nick Mueller wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

I'm going through the current topics to hopefully suggest a way to tag
valid RCM traffic.

No more OT-postings. Easy.

Nick

Ok, I can't argue that one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
I have no connection to this company.

http://www.machinerepair.com/scrapers.html

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see a raw casting for a
25" x 3" wide raw casting that you can scrape in to use as a reference
surface. At $210.00 plus S&H it seems like a logical first step for those
that want to improve your old iron.

I figure if you can't get this thing scraped in, it is better to leave your
machine alone and deal with it's inaccuracy's.

Glad to see Michael Morgan is back in business. I got one of
those castings and have made a decent straightedge out of it. I
think it is too heavy, and therefore droops onto convex or
concave surfaces more than the best Starrett or similar units,
as it weighs about twice as much. You have to have the casting
normalized after you machine off the hard shell, or else it will
continue to warp for a year.

His books are quite good, haven't seen the videos. I have,
however, seen him demonstrate the process at the 2001 or 2002
NAMES show. It is always amazing to see a real pro perform,
whether it is music, theater or hand scraping.

Be aware he had some problems delivering stuff in a reasonable
amount of time, so pay by credit card.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stealth Pilot wrote:
[...]

Granite surface plates are so cheap these days, there is no
sense in trying to make the master flat reference. I did use
the 3 plates scheme to make a set of 3 right angle plates,
however. It works! (You do this on the granite surface plate.)

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mike Henry wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message

I have no connection to this company.

http://www.machinerepair.com/scrapers.html

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see a raw casting for a
25" x 3" wide raw casting that you can scrape in to use as a reference
surface. At $210.00 plus S&H it seems like a logical first step for
those
that want to improve your old iron.

I figure if you can't get this thing scraped in, it is better to leave
your
machine alone and deal with it's inaccuracy's.

I believe that is Michael Morgan's web site. Run a Google Groups search
on that name and you should find that several buyers have had problems
getting product from him. He still owes me the Bridgeport rebuilding
book or at least a refund.

Contact him again. He was in DEEP doo-doo for a while, with
several family members dying and a business that employed half a
dozen people having to be foreclosed. I paid for the raw
straight edge casting and the Bridgeport book. It took a LONG
time to get the casting, which I was very happy with, and then
he disappeared for a while. When he showed up again, I
contacted him about the book, which wasn't written yet, and he
agreed to send me the scraping book instead. There wasn't a lot
in there that I hadn't already figured out, but he did
eventually make good on the deal. He's a nice guy, and he's
trying to make everything right. (Still, as a small businessman
myself, I would never let things get this bad before I stopped
accepting orders. But, having the kind of troubles he has been
through, it can mess up your psyche, you think you will have
everything cleaned up and be back on track in a week or two,
then the next shoe drops.)

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Nick Mueller wrote:

And if you are positive that the reference surface is flat...

You don't get a protocol for Chinese grave stones. Right?

I think they are cracking down on bad product

Wes

Darn, I can think of a couple of bosses I've had who should have had the
decency to do what that guy did.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:13:11 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Wes" wrote in message
Nick Mueller wrote:

And if you are positive that the reference surface is flat...

You don't get a protocol for Chinese grave stones. Right?

I think they are cracking down on bad product

Wes

Darn, I can think of a couple of bosses I've had who should have had the
decency to do what that guy did.

It'd rip D.C. bare if everyone there did the right thing.

--
Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm).
-----------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Mike Henry wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Jon,

I tried contacting him for quite a while before just giving up. It was only
$25 or so which is a drop in a bucket so far as such things go and the
time/effort spent on trying to get current status was starting to be more of
annoyance than not getting the book. ISTR that he had handed over sales to
someone else so maybe things are better organized now. The scraping book
and video seemed like a nice companion to Connelly's book.

Mike