DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   more on mini-excavator bucket tooth (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/210360-more-mini-excavator-bucket-tooth.html)

Grant Erwin August 10th 07 01:20 AM

more on mini-excavator bucket tooth

My father-in-law asked me to make up a shank to replace the one on his
Kubota tractor's backhoe attachment bucket. The tooth had come off years
ago and the stub had worn down. The shank which we cut off was high-carbon
steel, about 3/4 x 3/4". The tooth opening was 3/4 x 1/2" so we made up
a shank that size from mild steel.

Bent like cooked spaghetti.

I'm assuming to get steel that resists bending much more, I'll have to use
some kind of tool steel.

Any suggestions? In my shop I have A-2, A-6, O-1, O-2, and S-7.

Grant

Wayne Cook August 10th 07 03:02 AM

more on mini-excavator bucket tooth

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 17:20:19 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

My father-in-law asked me to make up a shank to replace the one on his
Kubota tractor's backhoe attachment bucket. The tooth had come off years
ago and the stub had worn down. The shank which we cut off was high-carbon
steel, about 3/4 x 3/4". The tooth opening was 3/4 x 1/2" so we made up
a shank that size from mild steel.

Bent like cooked spaghetti.

I'm assuming to get steel that resists bending much more, I'll have to use
some kind of tool steel.

Any suggestions? In my shop I have A-2, A-6, O-1, O-2, and S-7.

Get a shank from the dealer. The shanks and teeth are one of the
most affordable parts available for backhoes (when compared to pins
and bushings).

Trevor Jones August 10th 07 03:53 AM

Grant Erwin wrote:

My father-in-law asked me to make up a shank to replace the one on his
Kubota tractor's backhoe attachment bucket. The tooth had come off years
ago and the stub had worn down. The shank which we cut off was high-carbon
steel, about 3/4 x 3/4". The tooth opening was 3/4 x 1/2" so we made up
a shank that size from mild steel.

Bent like cooked spaghetti.

I'm assuming to get steel that resists bending much more, I'll have to use
some kind of tool steel.

Any suggestions? In my shop I have A-2, A-6, O-1, O-2, and S-7.

Grant

Ayup.

Buy a weld-on tooth base and save yerself the money time and greif of
trying to reinvent the wheel.

It'll fit the new tooth properly, too.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

(sorry to poop the party)

Ivan Vegvary August 10th 07 06:29 AM

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
My father-in-law asked me to make up a shank to replace the one on his
Kubota tractor's backhoe attachment bucket. The tooth had come off years
ago and the stub had worn down. The shank which we cut off was high-carbon
steel, about 3/4 x 3/4". The tooth opening was 3/4 x 1/2" so we made up
a shank that size from mild steel.

Bent like cooked spaghetti.

I'm assuming to get steel that resists bending much more, I'll have to use
some kind of tool steel.

Any suggestions? In my shop I have A-2, A-6, O-1, O-2, and S-7.

Grant

Grant, I am surprised that it bent. I wonder how much unsupported length
was involved.
I just made myself a 'toothbar' for my small Kubota loader bucket. Have
done lots of digging with it since. I purchase nine teeth from Deere (my
Kubota dealer was out) got some 1"x1" stock, cut the correct taper on said
stock to fit the tooth, welded all nine assemblies to a 3"x1/2" bar, AND
additionally welded 1"x1"x1" block supports running up to the tooth. I
think it is these supports that keep things from bending. My dealer wanted
to charge $398 for a tooth bar. I ended up with less than $79 out of
pocket.

Ivan Vegvary

[email protected] August 11th 07 01:20 AM

On Aug 10, 1:20 am, Grant Erwin wrote:
My father-in-law asked me to make up a shank to replace the one on his
Kubota tractor's backhoe attachment bucket. The tooth had come off years
ago and the stub had worn down. The shank which we cut off was high-carbon
steel, about 3/4 x 3/4". The tooth opening was 3/4 x 1/2" so we made up
a shank that size from mild steel.

Bent like cooked spaghetti.

I'm assuming to get steel that resists bending much more, I'll have to use
some kind of tool steel.

Any suggestions? In my shop I have A-2, A-6, O-1, O-2, and S-7.

Grant

Did you heat treat the high carbon shank? If you don't heat treat, I
don't think using any of the tool steels in the annealed condition
will be any better.

Dan