Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default QC toolholders for piston and Aloris AXA QC toolpost do not work

My Enco and KBC orders arrived on the same UPS truck. When it came
time to try the KBC toolholder on the Aloris AXA, I found that it does
not work. The depth of the dovetail in the toolholder is too deep by
about 1/8th of an inch. It rattles on the toolpost.

This appears to be a good rule of thumb - do not mix piston and
wedge toolholders.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Several catalog descriptions that I've seen, state that their generic
toolholders are interchangeable with Aloris and other brand toolposts.
Maybe the KBC toolholder is just a reject.

I can't navigate KBC's website on 50k dialup. I see they have an Error
Contest for incorrect info in their catalogs (win $1 credit, wow
impressive).
I would submit to KBC that their website is an error.

As I commented last week, the Phase II toolholders that came in the 2
separate sets fit the same, whether they're put on the piston post or the
wedge post.

I bought a new generic toolholder on ebay a couple of years ago, and the
dovetail was too wide. Instead of returning it, I fabricated a shim for it,
to make it fit the crappy HF piston style post. IIRC, the holder was only
about $14, so it wasn't a big deal.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Louis Ohland" wrote in message
My Enco and KBC orders arrived on the same UPS truck. When it came time
to try the KBC toolholder on the Aloris AXA, I found that it does not
work. The depth of the dovetail in the toolholder is too deep by about
1/8th of an inch. It rattles on the toolpost.

This appears to be a good rule of thumb - do not mix piston and wedge
toolholders.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 21:59:37 -0500, Louis Ohland
wrote:

My Enco and KBC orders arrived on the same UPS truck. When it came
time to try the KBC toolholder on the Aloris AXA, I found that it does
not work. The depth of the dovetail in the toolholder is too deep by
about 1/8th of an inch. It rattles on the toolpost.

Sounds like they sent you BXA holders.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:

My Enco and KBC orders arrived on the same UPS truck. When it came
time to try the KBC toolholder on the Aloris AXA, I found that it does
not work. The depth of the dovetail in the toolholder is too deep by
about 1/8th of an inch. It rattles on the toolpost.

Wow! That is huge. I was trying to make some BXA holders fit my aloris AXA
wedge post recently (didn't realize they were BXA) and iirc, .012" shim made
the BXA sorta fit.

I think a CXA is much bigger, can't tell you how much even though I was
running a CXA equiped lathe last night making repair parts for a test cell.

Measure the width of the dovetail using some common round things in corners
and give us the dimensions. I can try to check that against genuine AXA,
BXA, and CXA holders to see what you have.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Width of dovetail at narrowest point is about 1.41"
Width of dovetail at widest point is about 1.68"
Depth of dovetail cut is .41"
Height of block is 1.73"

I now notice that there is no size listed for the toolholder, no "AXA"
or "BXA", nada...

http://www.kbctools.com/usa/Navigati...fm?PDFPage=486

1-459-202

Wes wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:

My Enco and KBC orders arrived on the same UPS truck. When it came
time to try the KBC toolholder on the Aloris AXA, I found that it does
not work. The depth of the dovetail in the toolholder is too deep by
about 1/8th of an inch. It rattles on the toolpost.

Wow! That is huge. I was trying to make some BXA holders fit my aloris AXA
wedge post recently (didn't realize they were BXA) and iirc, .012" shim made
the BXA sorta fit.

I think a CXA is much bigger, can't tell you how much even though I was
running a CXA equiped lathe last night making repair parts for a test cell.

Measure the width of the dovetail using some common round things in corners
and give us the dimensions. I can try to check that against genuine AXA,
BXA, and CXA holders to see what you have.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 9, 7:44 am, Louis Ohland wrote:

I now notice that there is no size listed for the toolholder, no "AXA"
or "BXA", nada...

http://www.kbctools.com/usa/Navigati...fm?PDFPage=486

1-459-202

Yes there is. The number series is the same as the AXA, BXA, etc.
100 series is AXA, 200 series is BXA, etc. That's what Phase II
uses. You bought a BXA toolholder, since its part # is -202

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Louis Ohland :
Width of dovetail at narrowest point is about 1.41"
Width of dovetail at widest point is about 1.68"
Depth of dovetail cut is .41"
Height of block is 1.73"

I now notice that there is no size listed for the toolholder, no "AXA"
or "BXA", nada...

http://www.kbctools.com/usa/Navigati...fm?PDFPage=486

1-459-202

I can't (ever) seem to get their web page -- I suspect that it
requires Windows and Internet Explorer, but the "202" part of the part
number suggests that it is a "Series 200" (which is Phase II's
equivalent of BXA). Series 100 is AXA and so on.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I suppose KBC is trying to save $$$ on printing. Instead of clearly
identifying the series on the item SKU like Enco, they leave it to the
customer to figure it out... or not. On the note I included, I asked KBC
to replace the -202 with the -102. When I get back in three weeks, I'll
see what they did (or didn't).

DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to Louis Ohland :
Width of dovetail at narrowest point is about 1.41"
Width of dovetail at widest point is about 1.68"
Depth of dovetail cut is .41"
Height of block is 1.73"

I now notice that there is no size listed for the toolholder, no "AXA"
or "BXA", nada...

http://www.kbctools.com/usa/Navigati...fm?PDFPage=486

1-459-202

I can't (ever) seem to get their web page -- I suspect that it
requires Windows and Internet Explorer, but the "202" part of the part
number suggests that it is a "Series 200" (which is Phase II's
equivalent of BXA). Series 100 is AXA and so on.

Good Luck,
DoN.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Works with Win2K / FireFox 2.0.0.6, JS and cookies.

DoN. Nichols wrote:
http://www.kbctools.com/usa/Navigati...fm?PDFPage=486

I can't (ever) seem to get their web page -- I suspect that it
requires Windows and Internet Explorer,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11 Aug 2007 04:58:25 GMT, (DoN.
Nichols) wrote:

According to Louis Ohland :
Width of dovetail at narrowest point is about 1.41"
Width of dovetail at widest point is about 1.68"
Depth of dovetail cut is .41"
Height of block is 1.73"

I now notice that there is no size listed for the toolholder, no "AXA"
or "BXA", nada...

http://www.kbctools.com/usa/Navigati...fm?PDFPage=486

1-459-202

I can't (ever) seem to get their web page -- I suspect that it
requires Windows and Internet Explorer, but the "202" part of the part
number suggests that it is a "Series 200" (which is Phase II's
equivalent of BXA). Series 100 is AXA and so on.

Hi Don,

I got in okay with the latest Opera build (v9.23 build
8808). A quick look at the code revealed that the site uses
images, javascript and frames almost to the point of ad
nauseam. Ugh! So much code/crap that I'm surprised it even
works. A quick validation came up with numerous errors but
nothing so bad that the site shouldn't display.

You do need images on though...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Louis Ohland :
DoN. Nichols wrote:
http://www.kbctools.com/usa/Navigati...fm?PDFPage=486

I can't (ever) seem to get their web page -- I suspect that it
requires Windows and Internet Explorer,

Works with Win2K / FireFox 2.0.0.6, JS and cookies.

But not with Solaris 10 (a unix), Opera, with JavaScript,
Cookies, and even Flash enabled. I just get the headings along the top,
and a big white blank page otherwise.

Does the FireFox on Win2K happen to also support Active-X That
is something which you just would not find on a Unix machine. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Leon Fisk :
On 11 Aug 2007 04:58:25 GMT, (DoN.
Nichols) wrote:

[ ... ]

I can't (ever) seem to get their web page -- I suspect that it
requires Windows and Internet Explorer, but the "202" part of the part
number suggests that it is a "Series 200" (which is Phase II's
equivalent of BXA). Series 100 is AXA and so on.

Hi Don,

I got in okay with the latest Opera build (v9.23 build
8808).

Opera on what hardware and software platform?

A quick look at the code revealed that the site uses
images, javascript and frames almost to the point of ad
nauseam. Ugh! So much code/crap that I'm surprised it even
works. A quick validation came up with numerous errors but
nothing so bad that the site shouldn't display.

You do need images on though...

"Images"? Where? In the "edit site preferences" panels

"Block unwanted popups"

====================

"Accept only cookies from the site I visit"

====================

"Enable GIF/SVG animation"

"Enable plug-ins" (Flash)

java and sound are turned off

====================

Enable frames

enable inline frames

show active frame border

enable styling of frames

enable styling of scrollbars

====================

Enable Javascript

Allow moving and resizing of windows

(DON'T) allow changing of status field

(DON'T) allow script to receive right clicks

Allow script to hide address bar

Open Console on Error

several Java console errors, but it won't let me cut and past
those, so we'll ignore copying those.

If your Opera is running on a Windows box, that may be the
difference.

If it is going to be this much work to access their web pages, I
think that I just don't need to do it. I would not have tried at all,
but there keep being questions posted pointing to pages there. I'll
just have to train myself to ignore the questions if KBC is in the URL. :-)

Thanks,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi Don,

Comments inline, sorry for the slow reply, took a break from
the computer yesterday

On 12 Aug 2007 02:12:46 GMT, (DoN.
Nichols) wrote:

According to Leon Fisk :
On 11 Aug 2007 04:58:25 GMT,
(DoN.
Nichols) wrote:

I got in okay with the latest Opera build (v9.23 build
8808).

Opera on what hardware and software platform?

I'm Running Windows NT4 on an old 300 Mhz PII.

A quick look at the code revealed that the site uses
images, javascript and frames almost to the point of ad
nauseam. Ugh! So much code/crap that I'm surprised it even
works. A quick validation came up with numerous errors but
nothing so bad that the site shouldn't display.

You do need images on though...

"Images"? Where? In the "edit site preferences" panels

My version Opera is highly customized (by me) but the
standard key for images is "g". Opera has three
choices/settings. Images on - Cached images only - no
images and then it cycles through the same settings again if
you keep pushing it. The site uses images with hotspots for
almost all of its navigation. Without images enabled it will
look almost like you have a blank screen.

I just tried accessing the site with cookies disabled (old
cookies were dumped) and I got in okay so I don't think that
is a problem. Normally I let cookies do what ever they want
and delete them later on with a separate program if I don't
want to keep them.

I have plugins disabled and I allow referrer logging (F12
-) I doubt that this matters though.

Styling of frames and scroll bars is disabled. I've never
tried enabling these. Just so much eye candy IMO.

snip

show active frame border

Frame border is disabled

enable styling of frames

Enable Javascript

Allow moving and resizing of windows

(DON'T) allow changing of status field

(DON'T) allow script to receive right clicks

Allow script to hide address bar

Hide address bar is disabled

Open Console on Error

Open console is disabled

several Java console errors, but it won't let me cut and past
those, so we'll ignore copying those.

If your Opera is running on a Windows box, that may be the
difference.

It shouldn't matter that much. The different Opera builds
are pretty closely tied together. That is why they can
update/release them so quickly.

Obviously you are receiving some of the page. If you want,
try and save the page you get and send it to me via email.
I'll try loading it locally on my system. You should be able
to figure out my email looking at my sig okay. You can just
send a quick test mail first if you want.

Just for the heck of it I used Wget to save a complete Home
page (
http://www.kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm). I instructed
Wget to change all directory entries to just a common one. I
zipped it up and you can find it here (~640k):

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/kbc-home.zip

I added one extra file to the zip, "screen-shot.jpg" which
is what the home page looks like on my Opera. This was the
page I saved too and loaded locally in off-line mode.

You can send me an email if you want to try working on this
some more and don't want to stray too far off-topic.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Will Aloris CXA series work on my Rivett 1020S? Mark Main Metalworking 7 May 3rd 06 03:27 AM
Toolholders RoyJ Metalworking 0 October 3rd 05 06:00 AM
Multifix Toolposts - Need Toolholders Ray Field Metalworking 0 September 11th 05 02:55 AM
FA - Aloris AXA toolpost set in exc. condition Paul T. Metalworking 0 January 18th 04 07:27 PM
Finished my TNMP321 carbide insert toolholders Spencer Metalworking 3 January 8th 04 05:41 AM