Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gophers ....... grrrrrrr ..............

"SteveB" wrote: (clip)I need to go get a tank of oxygen, and begin to
build my Rodent Eliminator (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've got oxygen, and I've got gophers. What should I do?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After arriving at the ranch house, I see that gophers have moved in while we
were away. Amongst all the other things I have to do, I need to go get a
tank of oxygen, and begin to build my Rodent Eliminator (wouldn't want to
call it anything that would cause trademark issues). Will keep everyone
posted.

The little ****ers are making hills everywhere.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
After arriving at the ranch house, I see that gophers have moved in while we
were away. Amongst all the other things I have to do, I need to go get a
tank of oxygen, and begin to build my Rodent Eliminator (wouldn't want to
call it anything that would cause trademark issues). Will keep everyone
posted.

The little ****ers are making hills everywhere.

Steve

Fish emulsion in, gophers out.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 20:44:35 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"SteveB" quickly quoth:

After arriving at the ranch house, I see that gophers have moved in while we
were away. Amongst all the other things I have to do, I need to go get a
tank of oxygen, and begin to build my Rodent Eliminator (wouldn't want to
call it anything that would cause trademark issues). Will keep everyone
posted.

The little ****ers are making hills everywhere.

My skill is improving this week with my ground squirrels. I had
forgotten how bad eyeglasses are for shooting a steel-sighted rifle.
I'm up to 5 critters down out of 11ish shots. One was at 10' and was
so brazen that he kept digging despite my presence. I had just filled
in that hole at the bottom of my redwood, too. The little ******* paid
for his insolence.

--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
After arriving at the ranch house, I see that gophers have moved in while
we were away. Amongst all the other things I have to do, I need to go
get a tank of oxygen, and begin to build my Rodent Eliminator (wouldn't
want to call it anything that would cause trademark issues). Will keep
everyone posted.

The little ****ers are making hills everywhere.

Steve

Fish emulsion in, gophers out.

--Winston

Thank you. As a step one, simple solution, I will try it. After that, it's
on to the explosives.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
After arriving at the ranch house, I see that gophers have moved in
while we were away. Amongst all the other things I have to do, I
need to go get a tank of oxygen, and begin to build my Rodent
Eliminator (wouldn't want to call it anything that would cause
trademark issues). Will keep everyone posted.

The little ****ers are making hills everywhere.

Steve

A piece of hose from the tailpipe of a running car into the tunnels might
work ... They just go peacefully to sleep , never to awaken .

--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article igxti.3105$dD3.1980@trnddc07,
Winston wrote:

SteveB wrote:
After arriving at the ranch house, I see that gophers have moved in while
we
were away. Amongst all the other things I have to do, I need to go get a
tank of oxygen, and begin to build my Rodent Eliminator (wouldn't want to
call it anything that would cause trademark issues). Will keep everyone
posted.

The little ****ers are making hills everywhere.

Steve

Fish emulsion in, gophers out.

--Winston

I usually put a hose in and flood the tunnels (expect 50 gal) and
shoot hom when he comes out

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 6, 4:18 am, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:
"SteveB" wrote: (clip)I need to go get a tank of oxygen, and begin to

build my Rodent Eliminator (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've got oxygen, and I've got gophers. What should I do?

Have you got some CO2? That is what I would try. Since it is heavier
than air, it ought to sink and fill the passage.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 13:21:17 GMT, RoyJ wrote:

Won't work unless it is an old, out of tune carburated beater.

It does work with a carbureted riding mower. Takes about an hour per
hole, though.

The 95% oxy 5% propane subterranian boom works a lot faster. I
don't know why the mix is so oxygen-rich, but that seems to be what
works in practice. Ignition is done with a robust and fairly powerful
spark, a piezo-popper apparently is not sufficient.

Cong tunnels were cleared with ethylene oxide/air explosions, it isn't
a new idea. Dispersed local overpressure pulse (as opposed to higher
but much more localized overpressure from HE) and flash heat are what
does the job.

Expect divots. You may also get the occasional ballistic rodent.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 6, 11:47 am, Don Foreman wrote:
On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 13:21:17 GMT, RoyJ wrote:
Won't work unless it is an old, out of tune carburated beater.

It does work with a carbureted riding mower. Takes about an hour per
hole, though.

The 95% oxy 5% propane subterranian boom works a lot faster. I
don't know why the mix is so oxygen-rich, but that seems to be what
works in practice. Ignition is done with a robust and fairly powerful
spark, a piezo-popper apparently is not sufficient.

Cong tunnels were cleared with ethylene oxide/air explosions, it isn't
a new idea. Dispersed local overpressure pulse (as opposed to higher
but much more localized overpressure from HE) and flash heat are what
does the job.

Expect divots. You may also get the occasional ballistic rodent.

This may not work as well as you hope it will.

If the tunnel is among tree roots, it can kill a tree you want.

If the tunnel bisects a natural gas line, you may have an interesting
side effect.

Years ago a neighbor used this approach...and the tunnel was along
side his house...the gas mixture leaked into his house and the hot
water heater ignited the mixture..the neighbor and the house suffered
ill effects....the gopher lived.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 09:54:59 -0700, Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

[...]

There are always cases where a particular procedure is inadvisable.
The propane-air method definitely does work where appropriately used.
Devices using it are commercially available. I'm not making it up
and I didn't invent it.

From many previous posts, I do not read SteveB as a Darwin award
candidate. Your neighbor clearly was.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nick Hull wrote:

I usually put a hose in and flood the tunnels (expect 50 gal) and
shoot hom when he comes out

Free men own guns -

& Gophers don't.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 11:47:33 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 13:21:17 GMT, RoyJ wrote:

Won't work unless it is an old, out of tune carburated beater.

It does work with a carbureted riding mower. Takes about an hour per
hole, though.

The 95% oxy 5% propane subterranian boom works a lot faster. I
don't know why the mix is so oxygen-rich, but that seems to be what
works in practice. Ignition is done with a robust and fairly powerful
spark, a piezo-popper apparently is not sufficient.

Cong tunnels were cleared with ethylene oxide/air explosions, it isn't
a new idea. Dispersed local overpressure pulse (as opposed to higher
but much more localized overpressure from HE) and flash heat are what
does the job.

The use of white phosphous was also used in the tunnels for denial.
The cystals would get a skin on them and stick to the walls of the
tunnel and when disturbed later...would flame back up.

The gift that keeps on giving

Expect divots. You may also get the occasional ballistic rodent.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

From many previous posts, I do not read SteveB as a Darwin award
candidate. Your neighbor clearly was. - Hide quoted text -

I agree it works...one just needs to know the limitations of the
property the gophers are on.

It sounded like they were in close proximity of the house/yard.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 6, 12:35 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Nick Hull wrote:

I usually put a hose in and flood the tunnels (expect 50 gal) and
shoot hom when he comes out

Free men own guns -

& Gophers don't.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Free men own guns -

& Gophers don't.

We hope....one never knows what lurks in the minds of terrorist
gophers.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 6, 2:39 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Don Foreman" wrote

The 95% oxy 5% propane subterranian boom works a lot faster. I
don't know why the mix is so oxygen-rich, but that seems to be what
works in practice. Ignition is done with a robust and fairly powerful
spark, a piezo-popper apparently is not sufficient.

I'm working on such a device as we speak. I already have a couple of local
ranchers interested in seeing it when I get it working. Hey, I'll trade you
some steaks for rodent eradication ...................

Steve

One other option I have seen used is fire in some form or another....

The problem with that is that you can start an underground fire
smouldering which will resurface long after you have left the
scene....and with the dry conditions in the West (Montana currently)
you can end up starting a heck of a fire. This is why range fires are
so tough to put out....they can resurface months after the actual fire
was put out.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

SteveB wrote:

After arriving at the ranch house, I see that gophers have moved in
while we were away. Amongst all the other things I have to do, I
need to go get a tank of oxygen, and begin to build my Rodent
Eliminator (wouldn't want to call it anything that would cause
trademark issues). Will keep everyone posted.

The little ****ers are making hills everywhere.

Steve

A piece of hose from the tailpipe of a running car into the tunnels
might work ... They just go peacefully to sleep , never to awaken .

Ahh, yes, would my garden tractor qualify? Even with the choke set to
lean, it still idles awfully rich. I rigged a hose to the mole tunnel,
and nobody came out. Seemed to knock the mole population down for about
2 years, too. Unfortunately, it melted the hose, and I haven't wanted
to sacrifice another hose to this chore.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
"Snag" wrote on Mon, 6 Aug 2007 05:43:27 -0500
in rec.crafts.metalworking :
SteveB wrote:
After arriving at the ranch house, I see that gophers have moved in
while we were away. Amongst all the other things I have to do, I
need to go get a tank of oxygen, and begin to build my Rodent
Eliminator (wouldn't want to call it anything that would cause
trademark issues). Will keep everyone posted.

The little ****ers are making hills everywhere.

Steve

A piece of hose from the tailpipe of a running car into the tunnels might
work ... They just go peacefully to sleep , never to awaken .

Carbon Monoxide is best, but exhaust gasses in general work.

Hmmm, one more thing you can't do with an electric car.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. "

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
Don Foreman wrote on Mon, 06 Aug 2007
11:47:33 -0500 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 13:21:17 GMT, RoyJ wrote:

Won't work unless it is an old, out of tune carburated beater.

It does work with a carbureted riding mower. Takes about an hour per
hole, though.

The 95% oxy 5% propane subterranian boom works a lot faster. I
don't know why the mix is so oxygen-rich, but that seems to be what
works in practice. Ignition is done with a robust and fairly powerful
spark, a piezo-popper apparently is not sufficient.

Cong tunnels were cleared with ethylene oxide/air explosions, it isn't
a new idea. Dispersed local overpressure pulse (as opposed to higher
but much more localized overpressure from HE) and flash heat are what
does the job.

Expect divots. You may also get the occasional ballistic rodent.

And free landscaping. Friend of mine tried the old "calcium carbide
and water" routine. Produces acetylene gas. Stuck a length of cannon
fuse into the sealed off hole and lit it. Fire in the Hole!
Blew the yard up, including part of the neighbors. Just pealed the
sod back like Moses at the Red Sea! And splatter him with mud.
Missed the moles though.
--
pyotr filipivich
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. "
Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 45 AD
(A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 12:39:40 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote

The 95% oxy 5% propane subterranian boom works a lot faster. I
don't know why the mix is so oxygen-rich, but that seems to be what
works in practice. Ignition is done with a robust and fairly powerful
spark, a piezo-popper apparently is not sufficient.

I'm working on such a device as we speak. I already have a couple of local
ranchers interested in seeing it when I get it working. Hey, I'll trade you
some steaks for rodent eradication ...................

Steve

Keep us posted, please!

What are you planning to use as an ignitor. I'm not going to snipe,
I'm really interested.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

SteveB wrote:

[...]

I used 1" greenfield flexible metal conduit. It leaks a little, but
it doesn't melt.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
Jon Elson wrote on Mon, 06 Aug 2007 14:05:22 -0500 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

A piece of hose from the tailpipe of a running car into the tunnels
might work ... They just go peacefully to sleep , never to awaken .

Ahh, yes, would my garden tractor qualify? Even with the choke set to
lean, it still idles awfully rich. I rigged a hose to the mole tunnel,
and nobody came out. Seemed to knock the mole population down for about
2 years, too. Unfortunately, it melted the hose, and I haven't wanted
to sacrifice another hose to this chore.

You may want to get one of the metal flexible hoses, particularly
for where it attaches to the tailpipe. Until the exhaust gasses cool
enough, melting plastic is going to be a problem. If it is too hot to
touch, it is probably too hot for regular hoses.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. "
Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 45 AD
(A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Nick Hull wrote:

I usually put a hose in and flood the tunnels (expect 50 gal) and
shoot hom when he comes out

Free men own guns -

& Gophers don't.

The mental image that brought was hilarious!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Wrong tunnels, Gunny.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Nick Hull wrote:

I usually put a hose in and flood the tunnels (expect 50 gal) and
shoot hom when he comes out

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Free men own guns -

& Gophers don't.

We hope....one never knows what lurks in the minds of terrorist
gophers.

TMT

Haven't you seen Caddy Shack?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 20:44:35 -0700, SteveB wrote:
After arriving at the ranch house, I see that gophers have moved in while we
were away. Amongst all the other things I have to do, I need to go get a
tank of oxygen, and begin to build my Rodent Eliminator (wouldn't want to
call it anything that would cause trademark issues). Will keep everyone
posted.

Lead therapy, dose of 1-7/8 ounce, delivered at somewhere around
1000FPS. I prefer the 3/4" diameter delivery mechanism.

The little ****ers are making hills everywhere.

And for every hill there's a hole waiting to trip something, yup.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Cong tunnels? Hardly. I dumped a bunch of Willy Pete into them on a
number of occasions. Usually in the form of grenades, but
occasionally by booby trapping an 81mm WP mortor round.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
After arriving at the ranch house, I see that gophers have moved in
while we were away. Amongst all the other things I have to do, I
need to go get a tank of oxygen, and begin to build my Rodent
Eliminator (wouldn't want to call it anything that would cause
trademark issues). Will keep everyone posted.

The little ****ers are making hills everywhere.

Steve

A piece of hose from the tailpipe of a running car into the tunnels might
work ... They just go peacefully to sleep , never to awaken .

Carbon Monoxide is best, but exhaust gasses in general work.

Hmmm, one more thing you can't do with an electric car.

tschus
pyotr

Used to use the540 Cockshutt - about the only thing that tractor was
REALLY good for. Half throttle, pull the choke so it almost stalled
with the flex pipe down the hole for about 2 minutes and "bob's yur
uncle". It was a bottom exhaust, so only a few feet of steel flex was
required. Worked on groundhogs, cottontails, and foxes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After arriving at the ranch house, I see that gophers have moved in while we
were away. Amongst all the other things I have to do, I need to go get a
tank of oxygen, and begin to build my Rodent Eliminator (wouldn't want to
call it anything that would cause trademark issues). Will keep everyone
posted.

The little ****ers are making hills everywhere.

A coworker of mine in silicon valley had a ranch up in the Santa Cruz
mountains. He thought gophers were "cute" until one year they had heavy
rains. An entire hillside detached from the mountain & made a hell of a
mess. It was sort of like "tear on dotted line", the hill had sheared
along a surface passing neatly through a large network of gopher tunnels.

He suddenly started pumping me for info on .22 rifles, scopes, ammo, etc.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:
SteveB wrote:
After arriving at the ranch house, I see that gophers have moved in
while we were away. Amongst all the other things I have to do, I
need to go get a tank of oxygen, and begin to build my Rodent
Eliminator (wouldn't want to call it anything that would cause
trademark issues). Will keep everyone posted.

The little ****ers are making hills everywhere.

Steve

A piece of hose from the tailpipe of a running car into the tunnels might
work ... They just go peacefully to sleep , never to awaken .

Don't know about gophers, but every couple years I have a skunk move
in under the floor of my storage shed. I just drop a few moth balls
through a hole in the floor and they move up the block to visit the
wildlife control fellow four doors up.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 22:28:29 GMT, cavelamb himself
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Nick Hull wrote:

I usually put a hose in and flood the tunnels (expect 50 gal) and
shoot hom when he comes out

Free men own guns -

& Gophers don't.

The mental image that brought was hilarious!

Hehehe, reminds me of that game, Deer's Revenge, based on the old
Deer Hunter series; beer-can gun, amongst other weapons...
Now I'm gonna have to dig it out and play it again.
Hey, seems to me I have a prairie dog shoot-em game, too...!!!

Cheers,

Al
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

That's for the gophers in black PJs...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote

Keep us posted, please!

What are you planning to use as an ignitor. I'm not going to snipe,
I'm really interested.

I'm going to use piezo electric, but different than the ones that click one
time with one push. A friend of mine has a Coleman barbecue, of all brands.
The clicker will click for as long as you hold the button down.

Another thing I am going to vary from the currently available model. They
have it on a short stick, about as long as a metal detector. This has the
operator standing right above the hole. In the videos, they are kinda far
off, but you can see the operator takes more than one good face full of
dirt. I'm going to make mine bendable, like an exhaust sensor, and the
lines about ten feet long so that one can get away from standing directly
over the hole the backblast is coming out of.

Hope to get the compressed gas bottles this trip. If not, then in a few
weeks.

Came back from the cabin today, and some flooding and poison pellets I did
day before yesterday seemed only to incite him. Made one humongous pile.
Found the hole, and added some poison. Might get lucky, but I'd sure like
to blast the little darling.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 19:47:06 -0600, SteveB wrote:

I'm going to use piezo electric, but different than the ones that click one
time with one push. A friend of mine has a Coleman barbecue, of all brands.
The clicker will click for as long as you hold the button down.

Once you get one, please explain how that works. With what I know of
piezo-electric transducers, that is impossible, but I would it find it
immensely useful to be wrong in this instance.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8 Aug 2007 03:03:34 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 19:47:06 -0600, SteveB wrote:

I'm going to use piezo electric, but different than the ones that click one
time with one push. A friend of mine has a Coleman barbecue, of all brands.
The clicker will click for as long as you hold the button down.

Once you get one, please explain how that works. With what I know of
piezo-electric transducers, that is impossible, but I would it find it
immensely useful to be wrong in this instance.

It's battery operated electronic ignition, not piezo

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 23:15:48 -0400, clare at snyder.on.ca clare wrote:
On 8 Aug 2007 03:03:34 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Once you get one, please explain how that works. With what I know of
piezo-electric transducers, that is impossible, but I would it find it
immensely useful to be wrong in this instance.

It's battery operated electronic ignition, not piezo

Ah, damn. Laws of physics once again interfere with a fantastic design.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 23:12:41 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Doug White" wrote

A coworker of mine in silicon valley had a ranch up in the Santa Cruz
mountains. He thought gophers were "cute" until one year they had heavy
rains. An entire hillside detached from the mountain & made a hell of a
mess. It was sort of like "tear on dotted line", the hill had sheared
along a surface passing neatly through a large network of gopher tunnels.

He suddenly started pumping me for info on .22 rifles, scopes, ammo, etc.

Doug White

I think there's a misconception here. I have never seen a gopher. They do
all their things below ground. A prairie dog, or a ground squirrel spends a
lot of time on top of the ground, so one can get a shot at them. Maybe I
don't know the proper stakeout for a gopher, but it doesn't sound like
anything I have the patience for or capacity for that much beer before the
first one shows up. I'd probably hit the house.

Steve

If they're pocket gophers, right on. They do appear above ground but
seldom. Shooting gophers requires sniper-grade patience. Flooding
sometimes works, shoot them with a .22 handgun when flooding makes
them come up for air -- but you'll kill or not with first shot.

Don, from the Gopher State (MN)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerald Miller" wrote

Don't know about gophers, but every couple years I have a skunk move
in under the floor of my storage shed. I just drop a few moth balls
through a hole in the floor and they move up the block to visit the
wildlife control fellow four doors up.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

We had a chipmunk take up residence in the tongue and groove siding two
springs ago. We trot on down to Ace, and the lady says mothballs are the
answer, and a couple should do it. My wife gets TWO boxes, which I
obediently pour into the wallspace. Overkill of near the fourth magnitude.

This summer, the smell is finally gone. I was ready to rip out the tongue
and groove. Oh, yeah, she had me pepper spray the hole just for good
measure, too. Sealed the hole with a piece of rusty tin to go with the
weathered stained siding. So far so good. Maybe the mothballs are still
working just enough.

Steve