Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Enclosed digital height guage?

As I was pondering world peace, entropy, and how to mount a DRO on
the Sieg X3 quill, I transcended to another plane...

The Super X3 has a flat milled on the front of the quill. The bottom
of the scale is attached to it. The scale is fixed in front of the head
and does not move.

My inchoate idea is to make a collar for the quill (2.67" dia), drill
and tap it for mounting the bottom of the scale. Take a length of
aluminum rectangular tubing and mill off one side of the aluminum tubing
of the correct size for the DRO slider, make a mounting base for the
slider for inside the tube.

Now the scale moves up and down inside the tube, protected from all
but the most horrendous impacts and swarf. The top end of the tube can
be closed off with Wisconsin chrome, er, duct tape. Use a parallel to
help align the tube. Use some bar clamps (?) to hold the parallel?

Now put superglue on the tube mounted scale, use the parallel to
properly align it, and press the tube to the face of the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Before someone brightly says the Anilam and Accu-rite and other $$$
scales are already protected, yes they are. But the frugal scales I am
using are akin to those of a digital caliper.

Louis Ohland wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:

My inchoate idea is to make a collar for the quill (2.67" dia), drill
and tap it for mounting the bottom of the scale. Take a length of
aluminum rectangular tubing and mill off one side of the aluminum tubing
of the correct size for the DRO slider, make a mounting base for the
slider for inside the tube.

That sounds like this:
http://www.yadro.de/digital-scale/mounting-modding.html

Nick
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not quite. On Yadro, you are not using the LCD on the scale, because you
are using the SPC port to pass the data to the DRO. The scale ends are
fixed and the electronics move back and forth on the beam.

My mount allows you to see the LCD. The measuring electronics on my
mount do not move, but the scale goes up and down.

Nick Mueller wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:

My inchoate idea is to make a collar for the quill (2.67" dia), drill
and tap it for mounting the bottom of the scale. Take a length of
aluminum rectangular tubing and mill off one side of the aluminum tubing
of the correct size for the DRO slider, make a mounting base for the
slider for inside the tube.

That sounds like this:
http://www.yadro.de/digital-scale/mounting-modding.html

Nick

Next planer upgrade, installed a Wixey digital height gauge (w/pics) David F. Eisan Woodworking 11 December 14th 06 01:41 AM
220 Wire Guage help BSmith Home Repair 28 May 23rd 06 04:55 PM
16 guage steel EBG Metalworking 2 September 19th 04 05:11 AM
FA: Starrett 0-6" Electronic Digital Height Gage lane Metalworking 0 February 11th 04 06:27 PM