DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Frugal Z axis indicator for milling? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/207892-frugal-z-axis-indicator-milling.html)

Louis Ohland July 23rd 07 12:49 AM

Frugal Z axis indicator for milling?

I've been diddling about with my Sieg X3, and it's quite nice to
have X and Y axis DRO. The kicker is the Z axis, where there are TWO
sources, first, the Quill, second, the Z axis handwheel.

My thoughts- use a mag base to attach a dial indicator to the bottom
of the head, the main support sticks straight down. Set the other arm so
it is parallel to it. Now slap on a dial indicator and indicate from the
base of the mill, not the table....

Downside, you will have about 1" of measurement. But in milling, that
should be OK. Upside, it's a non-drill solution where you don't have to
worry if it's perfectly aligned. Most likely cheaper.

Looking for a frugal electronic dial indicator with SPC output. That
way, I can cobble the head travel onto the DRO display, and just have
the quill travel on the scale.

Nick Mueller July 23rd 07 08:59 AM

Louis Ohland wrote:

I've been diddling about with my Sieg X3, and it's quite nice to
have X and Y axis DRO. The kicker is the Z axis, where there are TWO
sources, first, the Quill, second, the Z axis handwheel.

There is someone on Shumatech's YAHOO-group that wanted to -or actually did-
build an adder that has 2 Chines scales as input and one Chinese scale as
output.

Or (shameless plug) www.yadro.de

Nick