DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   RANT/follow up re Query - fly cutter tool grinding geometry (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/207669-re-rant-follow-up-re-query-fly-cutter-tool-grinding-geometry.html)

Trevor Jones July 20th 07 10:11 PM

RANT/follow up re Query - fly cutter tool grinding geometry

wrote:
On Jul 17, 6:39 am, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

Here at Chaos Central the bench grinder has been hanging around for
years, grinding shovels, axes, plastic, aluminium - anything and
everything. Obviously, I had it BEFORE I did tool grinding at school
and learnt that it shouldn't be used for such things...will get a
decent wheel as soon as I can organise myself to find one....

And I will keep experimenting - just need to get some more steel to
grind......

Andrew VK3BFA.

Try googling " Dressing grinding wheel ". I just did it and found
lots of good information. A star wheel dresser will revive the wheel
on your bench grinder. Even if the grinding wheel on your bench
grinder is not a good wheel, you still need to get a dressing tool.
You will need it with even the best grinding wheel. So why not get
one now and try it out on your current wheel?

So much to learn, so little time. While you are learning machining, I
am learning about Analog Devices DDS's. Have fun.

Dan

Use a singlepoint diamond to reshape the stone. The star wheel
dressers work best for cleaning the surface of cut and otherwise
non-cutting grit particles (the cause of hot work, due to more friction
than cutting).

Cheers
Trevor Jones