Jim and Jackie Instone

Default Restored Cataract Bench Lathe

Here is the website of how I restored a Cataract Bench Lathe.

http://www.wcnet.org/~jinstone/CataractLathe/

Jim Instone

jim rozen

In article , Jim and Jackie Instone says...

Here is the website of how I restored a Cataract Bench Lathe.

http://www.wcnet.org/~jinstone/CataractLathe/

Terrific job! It looks just like mine, which is a "59"
cataract - 5C collet, 9" swing:

http://www.metalworking.com/RCM-gallery/files/Rozen,Jim/Nshop5.jpg

and also (though geocities tend to be a bit flaky) for a more
comprehensive view, check out these, which show machine no.
106:

http://www.geocities.com/noramm10566/59DESCR.html

Best to turn off javascript, btw the machine is not for sale at
the moment.

Your machine is notable because it has the exact same pattern
tailstock as mine, a type that I've never seen elsewhere - with
the open-frame squared off construction, and the window in the
top to view the graduations on the ram.

Great job on the reconstruction, it will give you terrific service.

Jim

please reply to:

Wild Bill

Great looking machine you have there. You did a nice job of returning it's
functionality too.

WB

"Jim and Jackie Instone" wrote in message
Here is the website of how I restored a Cataract Bench Lathe.

http://www.wcnet.org/~jinstone/CataractLathe/

Jim Instone

Gunner

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 21:40:42 -0400, "Jim and Jackie Instone"
wrote:

Here is the website of how I restored a Cataract Bench Lathe.

http://www.wcnet.org/~jinstone/CataractLathe/

Jim Instone

Good job!! Interesting usage of available materials with the hockey
puck G

Very nice Jim. It would have been nice to have some "before" pictures
though G

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell
Brian Lawson

Hey Jim,

Very nicely done, with some unique ideas too.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
wrote:

Here is the website of how I restored a Cataract Bench Lathe.

http://www.wcnet.org/~jinstone/CataractLathe/

Jim Instone

Jim and Jackie Instone

Thanks for the compliments. Unfortunately, when I started working on the
Cataract, I didn't realize what I had and I didn't take any "before"
pictures. In retrospect, I sure wish that I had.

Jim
wrote:

Here is the website of how I restored a Cataract Bench Lathe.

http://www.wcnet.org/~jinstone/CataractLathe/

Jim Instone

Good job!! Interesting usage of available materials with the hockey
puck G

Very nice Jim. It would have been nice to have some "before" pictures
though G

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell

Scotty

Nice job, Jim. It looks great! I especially like your use of the hockey puck
G. Ingenious!

Please keep the website up and post the progress on that crane model. I'd like
to see how everything works out.

Scotty

Jim Instone writes:

Here is the website of how I restored a Cataract Bench Lathe.
http://www.wcnet.org/~jinstone/CataractLathe/
Jim Instone

jim rozen

In article , Tony says...

I wonder how they got the name Cataract? Did they have something to do with
the designer's bad eyesight?

I think there were some waterfall-like features near the
chicago factory. But a lot of it was apparently marketing
hype, the images they used were apparently much enhanced!

Jim

please reply to:

williamhenry

as a large mining equipment and general big thing nut

what crane are you currently working on?

Jim and Jackie Instone

My son, Doug, is a crane instructor and he is building a 1/12 scale model of
a 40-ton American 599C lattice boom crane to use in his classes. Thanks for
the interest.

Jim

"williamhenry" wrote in message
as a large mining equipment and general big thing nut

what crane are you currently working on?

Cataract Bench Lathe Info Needed Jim and Jackie Instone Metalworking 3 May 8th 04 11:36 PM
Lathe moved Paul Metalworking 10 March 12th 04 02:42 PM
[Ganoksin] [January 2004] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench Ganoksin Metalworking 0 January 24th 04 07:41 PM