Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
GTO69RA4

Default Pics of "amazing lathe gloat" and questions

See Dropbox for "davis_lathe" and "davis_tools" photos. It's a rather heavy
12x36 machine from around 1910. The headstock as shown must weigh 125 pounds.
Needs a good cleaning and painting. Came with matching jackshaft and motor
mount in redneck style. Not bad for free.

I don't know very much about lathe history, but one thing I've never seen is
that big lever on the headstock. It seems to internally swtich the first stage
of feed gearing among three ratios. Like the predecessor of the quickchange
gearbox. This lathe relys mostly on change gears.

It's not quite the gloat I though it was, now that I've gone through the boxes.
No collet hardware other than the collets themselves. Lots of ancient tapping
heads for a drill press or lathe much larger than this one, and a taper-mounted
turret for a similarly larger machine. One plus is a "Clippit" flat belt
clipping/splicing contraption.

Any idea what that compound slide is from? Doesn't fit the compound base well
enough to use. Looks very old.

In the tooling photos, we have: one bucket dogs, one bucket changegears of all
types, one bucket tap heads and turret (visable at top), one box large
toolholders, one tray wrenches and toolholders, one tray of small
parts/cutters/bits/etc, one bucket faceplates and a 3-jaw, one box misc larger
devices, one tray collets, one large 4-jaw with last work still clamped, one
tray bits and cutters. Also has a follow rest and a very rusty steady rest.

So that's it. I've either got a long project head of me or some possible
income. I'll probably sell most of the accessories that don't fit it, since
they're for something far too large for me to own. We'll have to see about
modifying the compound slide or getting something that fits.

Comments on the machine?

GTO(John)