DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Square to round cone sheetmetal layout (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/16393-square-round-cone-sheetmetal-layout.html)

Joris van der Sande April 19th 04 09:38 PM

Square to round cone sheetmetal layout

All,

I am the author of the Cone Layout program (see pulserate.com) which
can calculate the layout or flat pattern projection of a cone with
tilted ends. I am currently working on a new version that can also
generate square-to-round "cones". I have succesfully updated the
finite element model (FEM) that is used by the program to generate the
layout: http://www.pulserate.com/sq2round.png

However, but noticed that the resulting layout is difficult to
bend/roll. Is it generally necessary to make incisions at the corners
of the squared end of the cone in order for the square-to-round cone
layout to bend properly, or did I just make a mistake in my model?

All suggestions are highly appreciated!

Regards,
Joris

Randy Zimmerman April 20th 04 04:50 AM

Square to round cone sheetmetal layout

I have formed up numerous transitions and yes in the case of heavier
materials the corner has to be snipped.
On a press brake you cannot create the same angular bend at the tip.
The pointy end gets lost between the sides of the bottom die.
It is not your layout.
When I have formed up transitions using a pan brake I often can get a
grip of the point and manage to get the crease to run to that point.
I have tricked heavy plate over 3/8 inch by formeing the point
separately using a narrow bottom die.
Randy

om...

Jim C Roberts April 20th 04 05:08 AM

Square to round cone sheetmetal layout

Joris,

I have to agree with Randy, the corners of a square to round are rarely
square after the first round of breaking them. I use a powered (200 ton)
break at work and it is pretty much inevitable that I will have to
"hammerize" the corners, even on sq-rds that are cut with the seams on the
corners. That's what the BFH in my toolbox is for 8^)

Regards,
Jim