Jim Stewart

Default Old Steel - New Steel

A couple of weeks ago at the recycling center, a
welder was unloading some 1/2" square steel bar.
I asked him if it was mild steel and he replied
"yes, old mild steel, the best" I've heard
references to "old steel" being better than "new
steel" and I've never understood what the difference
is.
Grant Erwin

Most steel made in this country now comes from melted-down cars, not
from mined iron ore. Such steel meets minimum specifications but you
may find anomalies like local hard spots (where a chromed ball bearing
was melted in for example). Many so-called "mild steels" today will
harden somewhat if heated and quenched strongly.

Maybe that's what he was talking about. - GWE

Jim Stewart wrote:
A couple of weeks ago at the recycling center, a
welder was unloading some 1/2" square steel bar.
I asked him if it was mild steel and he replied
"yes, old mild steel, the best" I've heard
references to "old steel" being better than "new
steel" and I've never understood what the difference
is.

Ed Huntress

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Most steel made in this country now comes from melted-down cars, not
from mined iron ore. Such steel meets minimum specifications but you
may find anomalies like local hard spots (where a chromed ball bearing
was melted in for example). Many so-called "mild steels" today will
harden somewhat if heated and quenched strongly.

Maybe that's what he was talking about. - GWE

It depends on what you buy, Grant. If you buy AISI graded steel, it's
somewhat better today than it's ever been -- if it's made in the US, Europe,
or Japan (probably Australia, too, but I don't know how careful they are
with their grading of carbon steels).

The remelted scrap is used mostly in construction and other applications
that don't demand strict adherence to alloys, only to certain properties of
strength and elongation.

If you buy the junk in hardware stores, you may be getting anything.

Note the Jim's authority on old steel is a welder. He may have gotten stung
by some "mild" steel that was actually a construction grade. The weldability
of that stuff varies quite a bit.

Ed Huntress

Roy J

When you buy 10,000 pound rolls of cold rolled steel for
automobile fenders, the quality control is supurb, much better
than it ever was in the old days. If you buy merchant grade flat,
angle, and rebar from an electric furnace scrap melter, the
carbon and alloy content can vary wildly. Older bar came directly
from the steel mill, much more uniform.

We wiped out 3 blades on a horizontal bandsaw in an hour one day
on a process that we had done for several years. Problem was
traced down to ONE bar of 1/4"x2" flat stock that had a huge
carbon content, the HAZ was hard as a file.

Jim Stewart wrote:

A couple of weeks ago at the recycling center, a
welder was unloading some 1/2" square steel bar.
I asked him if it was mild steel and he replied
"yes, old mild steel, the best" I've heard
references to "old steel" being better than "new
steel" and I've never understood what the difference
is.

Offbreed

Grant Erwin wrote:

Most steel made in this country now comes from melted-down cars, not
from mined iron ore.

Is that what they are making crowbars from these days?

Such steel meets minimum specifications but you
may find anomalies like local hard spots (where a chromed ball bearing
was melted in for example).

Which would explain a little about why a crowbar I was cutting up for
a rock bar ate so many hacksaw blades.

Offbreed

Roy J wrote:

I would hope any self respecting crow bar would laugh at a hacksaw!! It
has to be something better than some 1018 forged to shape.

Grinder threw yellow sparks with a tiny brooming at the end?

Roy J

Are you trying to make me look up the spark trail charts? The
brooming at the ends means carbon, don't know how much.

Offbreed wrote:

Roy J wrote:

I would hope any self respecting crow bar would laugh at a hacksaw!!
It has to be something better than some 1018 forged to shape.

Grinder threw yellow sparks with a tiny brooming at the end?

Martin H. Eastburn

Jim Stewart wrote:

A couple of weeks ago at the recycling center, a
welder was unloading some 1/2" square steel bar.
I asked him if it was mild steel and he replied
"yes, old mild steel, the best" I've heard
references to "old steel" being better than "new
steel" and I've never understood what the difference
is.

http://www.designnews.com/article/CA405992?nid=2334
"As automakers work to improve both fuel efficiency and safety, they increasingly need to add some lean muscle to their vehicles.
Strong, lightweight structural components made from Advanced High Strength Steels (AHSS) may be just what the doctor ordered.

This diverse group of multiphase steels with high strain hardening rates generally offers yield and tensile strengths as least twice
as high as conventional stamping steels. Their tensile strenghts, for instance, start at roughly 500 MPa. So AHSS can certainly help
automakers cut weight of body structures without sacrificing strength. Yet the advanced steels do have some cost and manufacturing
barriers to overcome before they can more widely displace their lower-strength predecessors. The Great Designs in Steel seminar,
held last month in Livonia, MI, served as good progress report on these advanced steels.
"
and the text goes on to more and more info.

AHSS might be something to deal with someday.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

Ed Huntress

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
om...

Jim Stewart wrote:

[...]

HSLA (high-strength, low-alloy) steels used in cars for the past 20 years
have already given the mini-mills a few challenges.

Ed Huntress

Old Nick

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 06:23:16 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Or the junk like angle, flat etc, even from the steel merchant.

I needed to bend some 50-50-3 mm angle the other day, using heat. I
needed a nice sharp angle and so I got it plenty hot. When I had bent
it, I ran water over it to cool it. You could hear the difference
between that one and another that I did then allowed to cool. It rang.
Rough test, but it sounded hard. I heated it and let it cool. I would
rather it bent than snapped.

If you buy the junk in hardware stores, you may be getting anything.

I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.
Offbreed

Roy J wrote:

Are you trying to make me look up the spark trail charts? The brooming
at the ends means carbon, don't know how much.

Naw, I was just hoping you knew if it matched off hand.

First prospecting bar I made from a crowbar used up one file and one
hacksaw blade. That was about 20 yrs ago, and I can't remember where
the thing went to compare the two. (CRS attack.) Didn't put it to much
of a test, so can't say how well it worked.

Hacksaws are getting softer, these days. That's it. And the people
that make light bulbs? They're putting the wrong numbers on the bulbs,
my eyes aren't getting worse. Print in the books is shrinking, too.
I'm not getting any taller, but the damned floor is still getting
further away.

Anyone says I'm getting old is gonna get such a rap in the head, as
soon as I can find my cane, dagnabbit.

JTMcC

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
s.com...
A couple of weeks ago at the recycling center, a
welder was unloading some 1/2" square steel bar.
I asked him if it was mild steel and he replied
"yes, old mild steel, the best" I've heard
references to "old steel" being better than "new
steel" and I've never understood what the difference
is.

This one's easy, even I can handle it:

Old steel is set in it's ways, and resists change, instead prefering "the
way we always did it". Old steel knows how to put in a hard days work, earns
it's keep and is reliable.

New steel is often late, some days doesn't show up at all, thinks the rest
of the world owes it something, talks back and does not yet know the value
of a dollar. If you keep it around long enough, new steel will turn, slowly,
gradually, sometimes at glacier like speed, into old speed.

JTMcC : )

JTMcC

"JTMcC" wrote in message

[...]

Meant "steel" of course, not "speed'! : )

JTMcC.

JTMcC : )

Martin H. Eastburn

Jim Stewart wrote:

[...]

I bet. I suspect some were using measuring cup method to make steel and had
to switch to tea spoon or better when formulating a real steel that had tight specs.
Suspect a real chemist is at work - and/or metallurgist.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ed Huntress

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
. com...

AHSS might be something to deal with someday.

HSLA (high-strength, low-alloy) steels used in cars for the past 20

years
have already given the mini-mills a few challenges.

Ed Huntress

I bet. I suspect some were using measuring cup method to make steel and

had
to switch to tea spoon or better when formulating a real steel that had

tight specs.
Suspect a real chemist is at work - and/or metallurgist.

Yeah, making it is tricky. But I was referring to its effects on the
scrap/remelt (minimill) industry. It creates some problems, or it did, from
what I've read about it.

But I haven't covered steelmaking for a lot of years. It may all be solved
now for all I know.

Ed Huntress

Tim Williams

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
et...
Yeah, making it is tricky. But I was referring to its effects on the
scrap/remelt (minimill) industry. It creates some problems, or it did,
from what I've read about it.

BTW... how do they remove carbon and alloyed stuff if the melt is too hard
for it's use? Blow some air through it, add more mild scrap..?

Tim

--
"I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 03:32:34 GMT, "JTMcC"
brought forth from the murky depths:

This one's easy, even I can handle it:

Old steel is set in it's ways, and resists change, instead prefering "the
way we always did it". Old steel knows how to put in a hard days work, earns
it's keep and is reliable.

New steel is often late, some days doesn't show up at all, thinks the rest
of the world owes it something, talks back and does not yet know the value
of a dollar. If you keep it around long enough, new steel will turn, slowly,
gradually, sometimes at glacier like speed, into old speed.

That strongly reminded me of a quote which I can't seem to
find on my hard drive or at Bartlett. It went something
like "liberal(democrat?) by 20 and a conservative(rep?)
by 40", somewhat of a reverse to your metaphor.

--
The State always moves slowly and grudgingly towards any purpose that
accrues to society's advantage, but moves rapidly and with alacrity
Gunner

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 07:58:16 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

That strongly reminded me of a quote which I can't seem to
find on my hard drive or at Bartlett. It went something
like "liberal(democrat?) by 20 and a conservative(rep?)
by 40", somewhat of a reverse to your metaphor.

"If you are not a Liberal when you are 20, it shows you have no heart
If you are not a Conservative by the time you are 40, it shows you have
no brain"

Variously attributed to Winston Chuchhill, Bismark and others.
"rm -rf /bin/laden

Bush = Root"

Old Nick

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 07:58:16 -0800, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

And large corporations simply don't pretend to do otherwise.....

The State always moves slowly and grudgingly towards any purpose that
accrues to society's advantage, but moves rapidly and with alacrity
towards one that accrues to its own advantage; nor does it ever move
towards social purposes on its own initiative, but only under heavy
pressure, while its motion towards anti-social purposes is self-sprung.
- Albert Jay Nock

I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 18:23:51 GMT, Gunner

wrote:

That strongly reminded me of a quote which I can't seem to
find on my hard drive or at Bartlett. It went something
like "liberal(democrat?) by 20 and a conservative(rep?)
by 40", somewhat of a reverse to your metaphor.

"If you are not a Liberal when you are 20, it shows you have no heart
If you are not a Conservative by the time you are 40, it shows you have
no brain"

Variously attributed to Winston Chuchhill, Bismark and others.

Dassit. Tendjewberrymud.

--
The State always moves slowly and grudgingly towards any purpose that
accrues to society's advantage, but moves rapidly and with alacrity
towards one that accrues to its own advantage; nor does it ever move
towards social purposes on its own initiative, but only under heavy
pressure, while its motion towards anti-social purposes is self-sprung.
- Albert Jay Nock
- http://diversify.com Web Programming for curmudgeons and others. -
Ed Huntress

"Tim Williams" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
et...
Yeah, making it is tricky. But I was referring to its effects on the
scrap/remelt (minimill) industry. It creates some problems, or it did,
from what I've read about it.

BTW... how do they remove carbon and alloyed stuff if the melt is too hard
for it's use? Blow some air through it, add more mild scrap..?

Those are good questions. Here's a research opportunity for you, to refine
your academic skills. g

Seriously, I forget. I haven't been in a minimill for25 years. There's
someone who posted in this thread who, IIRC, works in one. Maybe he can
help.

Or, dust off Goggle and go for it. There is a lot written about those mills,
and how they operate.

Ed Huntress

Old Nick

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 14:16:40 +0000 (UTC), "Rick Jones"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

becoz u r the sort of **** hoo posts such useles **** as wot u hav
posted. ****.

WTF do u keep posting this drivel?................people are dieing due to
complacency of cowardly ****s like yourself!

I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.

Hopsaddict

Jim Stewart wrote in message ws.com...
A couple of weeks ago at the recycling center, a
welder was unloading some 1/2" square steel bar.
I asked him if it was mild steel and he replied
"yes, old mild steel, the best" I've heard
references to "old steel" being better than "new
steel" and I've never understood what the difference
is.

The important thing to remember here is "new" steel is not made it is
recycled. The chances of finding a "hard" spot cuased by the scrap mix
are slim and none. The steel gets stirred at the LMF , then again by a
baffle in the tundish then is poured via nozzle into a mold, then the
temp is equalized in a long furnace before rolling.
I would guess that the biggest difference is in the making of steel/ I
have now idea how steel is made, but I do know that thanks to the rust
belt we will have a cheap source of new steel for many years.
Brian Lawson

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 14:52:11 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

SNIP

So it will level off and probably turn around. The Western steelmakers are
making hay while the sun shines.

Ed Huntress

Geez Ed, then how come Stelco has gone belly up? I believe most of
their problems came about with the US steel tariffs. Should Canada
have insisted that the Taconite be processed "at home"?

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Ed Huntress

wrote:

SNIP

So it will level off and probably turn around. The Western steelmakers

are
making hay while the sun shines.

Ed Huntress

Geez Ed, then how come Stelco has gone belly up? I believe most of
their problems came about with the US steel tariffs. Should Canada
have insisted that the Taconite be processed "at home"?

I don't know, Brian. I don't follow the industry closely enough these days.
There's probably a retrospective on it somewhere, in the Wall Street Journal
or elsewhere. 33 Magazine (the magazine of metal-producing) may have covered
it.

In general, North American steel companies are too small to survive in the
world market. That is, basic steel. Minimills thrive in much smaller sizes
because the economies of scale in the remelt business are much less. And
flexibility, which favors smaller companies, has some advantage in the
remelt business.

US basic-steel companies have done some consolidating over the last few
years. They're still marginal businesses. The current price runup probably
is giving them the first healthy profits they've seen for years. I hope they
take good advantage of it and position themselves for the changing
marketplace.

Ed Huntress

China is buying alot of scrap steel, will this be a problem? Walt Metalworking 34 April 4th 04 01:52 AM
Drilling through a steel pipe. Harold & Susan Vordos Metalworking 3 October 1st 03 07:24 PM
Bench Vise Questions (Steel vs. Iron) x Metalworking 2 September 1st 03 05:50 PM
Plastering onto steel Frank Z UK diy 9 July 31st 03 02:18 PM
Knife Steel FAQ updated Gunner Metalworking 9 June 27th 03 12:11 AM