DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sherline CBC mounting plates (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/16005-sherline-cbc-mounting-plates.html)

[email protected] March 31st 04 12:46 AM

Sherline CBC mounting plates

Probably been done to death but does anyone have a lead on where I
might get the mounting kit for some nema 23 motors?

Sherline want $250 for 3 plates sopme spacers and bolts, YOW!! Are the
made from Gold plated Titanium or something??

Thanks in advance.

--

Kind regards,
Jenny and her tribe of survivors.

Eric R Snow March 31st 04 02:20 AM

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 16:46:56 -0700, wrote:

Probably been done to death but does anyone have a lead on where I
might get the mounting kit for some nema 23 motors?

Sherline want $250 for 3 plates sopme spacers and bolts, YOW!! Are the
made from Gold plated Titanium or something??

Thanks in advance.

Why don't you make 'em your self? I'm sure that even with hand tools
you could do a decent job. But if you have the sherline mill already
just buy the aluminum plate yourself and put in the holes and slots.
There is nothing magical about motor mounts and you can leave out the
gold plating. I just looked at their web site and saw a picture of a
mill with steppers mounted. You don't need those fancy conical mounts.
But if you have a lathe then you can have that too.
ERS

Bob Edwards March 31st 04 06:51 PM

Eric R Snow wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 16:46:56 -0700, wrote:

Probably been done to death but does anyone have a lead on where I
might get the mounting kit for some nema 23 motors?

Sherline want $250 for 3 plates sopme spacers and bolts, YOW!! Are the
made from Gold plated Titanium or something??

Thanks in advance.

Why don't you make 'em your self? I'm sure that even with hand tools
you could do a decent job. But if you have the sherline mill already
just buy the aluminum plate yourself and put in the holes and slots.
There is nothing magical about motor mounts and you can leave out the
gold plating. I just looked at their web site and saw a picture of a
mill with steppers mounted. You don't need those fancy conical mounts.
But if you have a lathe then you can have that too.
ERS

I second that. For REALLY budget mounts, as an example of what works,
see the Frog pages:
http://www.avatartools.com/Merchant2..._Code=Sherline

or see what I did with my Toyo (Sakai) machine:

http://www.avatartools.com/Merchant2...ory_Code=Sakai

This pic doesn't show the z-axis mount, but it was just a couple
pieces of 1/8 inch al plate and 3/4 inch bar, cap-screwed together and
mounted to the face of the fine-feed housing.

Regards,

Bob

Jim Stewart March 31st 04 06:58 PM

Bob Edwards wrote:
Eric R Snow wrote in message . ..

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 16:46:56 -0700, wrote:

Probably been done to death but does anyone have a lead on where I
might get the mounting kit for some nema 23 motors?

Sherline want $250 for 3 plates sopme spacers and bolts, YOW!! Are the
made from Gold plated Titanium or something??

Maybe they are making them on a Sherline mill (:

[email protected] March 31st 04 07:04 PM

Sherline CBC mounting plates

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:20:42 -0800, Eric R Snow
wrote:

Why don't you make 'em your self? I'm sure that even with hand tools

Thanks Eric and Bob, but it is a *time* and not a money issue, but
$250 for three mounts and I'd still need a new z-axis drive according
to the sherline website. Talk about reamed, shafted and bored. g

Bob Edwards April 1st 04 02:20 AM

wrote:

Why don't you make 'em your self? I'm sure that even with hand tools

Thanks Eric and Bob, but it is a *time* and not a money issue, but
$250 for three mounts and I'd still need a new z-axis drive according
to the sherline website. Talk about reamed, shafted and bored. g

Oh..well, then you know the old standard pricing formula, right? You
can have any two of the following three: good, cheap, or fast!

FWIW, it only took me an afternoon to make the mounts for my Sakai.
On a Sherline, if you bought the sheet-metal stampings used for the
Frog, you would have minimal time involved for the leadscrew and
z-axis, I think. Only place you'd need to get creative would be for
the cross-slide. For my lathe, I milled out a piece of AL stock to
match the bottom contours of the cross-slide casting, then simply
clamped it into place. The Frog mount bolts to the milled "adapter"
piece. The reason I didn't bolt the adapter directly to the
cross-slide is that the Sakai lathes are no longer made, and I didn't
want to risk messing up the casting.

Regards,

Bob