Dean

Default DeWalt radial saw motor wiring question

I need some advice concerning a DeWalt radial saw motor. It will
potentially be used for a metal cutoff saw but I can't figure out the
wiring.

It is a single phase, capacitor start, about 1.5 h.p. The cord coming
out of the motor has one each of a green, black, white, and red wire.
I have gone to the DeWalt website and found a wiring diagram that
tells me the green is ground, black is hot, and white is neutral. All
that makes sense but the red wire is shown connecting to the power
switch at the far end of the motor and to the capacitor at the motor
end. Ufortunately they don't show the internal connection diagram of
the start switch so I don't know what the red wire gets connected to
if anything.

I have connected the other wires (color to color) to a pig tail with a
110v. plug. When plugged in the motor seems to work just fine. Is it
possible the saw uses some sort of electronic braking?

Hope someone has one of these and can shed some light. Thanks in
advance.

-Dean
Roy

DeWalt did have saws with braking. They were a green color with a gray
or beige spatter, had a cast aluminum arm cap with a red circle in
them. Mfd from about 1964 on up until they went out of business. All
these Green spatter finished saws had brakes. All of themwould run on
120/240 VAC as well. Sure is a shame to use such a good saw as a
DeWalt for a metal cutoff saw. I kow when we used ours to cut rebars
etc the motor did not last long. A replacement back then was a small
fortune, probably next to impossible to find one today. DeWalt also
had a line of gray coled machines that were supposed to be contractor
duty, and were similar to the GW and GM models, one of which had a
duplex arm. I do not know if these had brakes on them or not. If its
only a 1.5 hp I assume its an 8" or a 10" at the most.

Dewalt , then Lancaster Machine tool, then later Dewalt AMF, and
finally Black & Decker Dewalt. A lot of the original style Dewalts are
still made by a company now called Original Saw Co, in Iowa, and parts
are available from them and also Wolf Machinery in Iowa. YOu maya be
able to find somehting out by contacting one of the above companies.
They do have an online parts and tech section on the saws as well.

On 24 Mar 2004 13:06:03 -0800, (Dean) wrote:

===I need some advice concerning a DeWalt radial saw motor. It will
===potentially be used for a metal cutoff saw but I can't figure out the
===wiring.
===
[...]

Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Dean

Thanks for the info Roy. I found the motor at a garage sale with a
12" blade attached and in a cradle. It says it is 3+ horsepower but I
think that may be optimistic. I thought since it was TEFC that it
might be good for a cut off saw since the metal and dirt would not get
inside.

I'll contact Original Saw Company and see if they know what the red
wire is for.

-Dean

(Dean) wrote:

[...]

Roy

What is the arbor size? The 3 hp 12" saws prior to 1966 had 1" arbors.
Since then they have cut them down to 5/8" Is the top of your saw flat
or does it have a crown to it? The ones with the rounded arm are top
of the line DeWalts.........not that there is anything wrong with the
other ones though.

Oh never mind, I see you do not have the entire saw, just the motor
and yoke assembly..Still a good find no less.

(Roy) wrote in message .. .
[...]
(Dean) wrote:
===
=== ===I need some advice concerning a DeWalt radial saw motor. It will
=== ===potentially be used for a metal cutoff saw but I can't figure out the
=== ===wiring.
=== ===
[...]
=== Opinions expressed are those of my wifes,