Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Albert

Default Why use brass?

Why might a doctor use brass for her nameplate on the outside wall and
why is the material suitbale for this purpose?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim.blakely

"Albert" wrote in message
ups.com...
Why might a doctor use brass for her nameplate on the outside wall and
why is the material suitable for this purpose?

I think I know this one. Brass is 'soft' so it engraves easier than some
other metals. And it polishes up nice.

How's that? :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Albert

Excellent and really helpful.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Albert wrote:
Excellent and really helpful.

And if your asked questions like this by your teacher, the answers in
the textbook. Read it - full of all sorts of interesting stuff.

Andrew VK3BFA.'

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Mawson

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
oups.com...

Albert wrote:
Excellent and really helpful.

And if your asked questions like this by your teacher, the answers

in
the textbook. Read it - full of all sorts of interesting stuff.

Andrew VK3BFA.'

Your implies ownership: "your pen" , "your kipper" etc

You're is an abbreviation for 'you are' as in "You're getting mixed
up."

AWEM
(sorry to be pedantic)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Albert wrote:
Excellent and really helpful.

And if your asked questions like this by your teacher, the answers

in
the textbook. Read it - full of all sorts of interesting stuff.

Andrew VK3BFA.'

Your implies ownership: "your pen" , "your kipper" etc

You're is an abbreviation for 'you are' as in "You're getting mixed
up."

AWEM

Sorry - I accept the correction. Should have been "yore teacher" cause
hes been around for Ever or "yaw teacher" cause hes swaying slightly (
Or "that ignorant b**** who is wanting me to do some work and hasnt
written the answer on the blackboard"

Andrew VK3BFA.

(sorry to be pedantic)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"jim.blakely" wrote in message

"Albert" wrote in message
ups.com...
Why might a doctor use brass for her nameplate on the outside wall and
why is the material suitable for this purpose?

I think I know this one. Brass is 'soft' so it engraves easier than some
other metals. And it polishes up nice.

How's that? :-)

You left out one important feature. Brass has the appearance of gold to the
untrained eye. Gold has been cherished as long as it's been known, so
anything that appears to emulate it tends to be desirable.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

On 13 May 2006 22:32:54 -0700, "Albert"
wrote:

Why might a doctor use brass for her nameplate on the outside wall and
why is the material suitbale for this purpose?

Along with what others have said about "easy to clean" and it's shiny
and looks nice, just plain old "That's how we've always done it."

Before machine engraving was available, they would have been of cast
metal. Iron and brass/bronze were the common products for casting.
Cast iron rusted, and all other materials were either too soft, or too
hard. And casting supported "raised lettering" too, which direct
engraving tends not to (or at least is more cost intensive).

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Andrew sez:

" Your implies ownership: "your pen" , "your kipper" etc

You're is an abbreviation for 'you are' as in "You're getting mixed
up."

That's OK, Andrew! Your friendly admonition is greatly acceptable. Thanks!
RCM has become a haven for those that abuse the English language...
Frankly, I tend to pass over messages couched in careless vernacular, such
as the misuse of pronouns. Some RCM respondents have the proclivity to
inject the appearance of "ignorance" in their messages as if this will
elicit more accurate answers from the readership. I think not!

Sincerely yourses,

Bob Swinney

Albert wrote:
Excellent and really helpful.

And if your asked questions like this by your teacher, the answers

in
the textbook. Read it - full of all sorts of interesting stuff.

Andrew VK3BFA.'

AWEM
(sorry to be pedantic)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article . com, Albert
says...

Why might a doctor use brass for her nameplate on the outside wall and
why is the material suitbale for this purpose?

Bronze would be a better choice for a nameplate like that.
Holds up a bit better to the elements.

Jim

please reply to:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Yeah! Like for a very long time. There is a large monument in Paris, built
completley from melted-down bronze cannon.

Bob Swinney
"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
It also resists corrosion pretty well.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

It also resists corrosion pretty well.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Robert Swinney" wrote: (clip) There is a large monument in Paris, built
completley from melted-down bronze cannon.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Beat *your* swords into plowshares.
Cast *your* cannon into nameplates.
*You're* the one who makes the choices.
*Your* teacher is the one who asks the questions.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

wrote:

Why might a doctor use brass for her nameplate on the outside wall and
why is the material suitbale for this purpose?

It would be rather silly to use a brass nameplate on the inside wall,
since the diplomae and certificates displayed there identify the
occupant.

Let's hope the doc actually did her own homework and earned her
diplomae....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Don Foreman" wrote: Let's hope the doc actually did her own homework and
earned her diplomae....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
When I was in school, learning to repair Multi's, we were given "problems"
on the machines to diagnose and fix, and we were allowed to use any of the
facilities available in the classroom. One of the students used the phone,
to call Tech Support.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:

It also resists corrosion pretty well.

That's more true of bronze than brass.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
gfulton

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Andrew sez:

" Your implies ownership: "your pen" , "your kipper" etc

You're is an abbreviation for 'you are' as in "You're getting mixed
up."

That's OK, Andrew! Your friendly admonition is greatly acceptable.
Thanks! RCM has become a haven for those that abuse the English
language... Frankly, I tend to pass over messages couched in careless
vernacular, such as the misuse of pronouns. Some RCM respondents have the
proclivity to inject the appearance of "ignorance" in their messages as
if this will elicit more accurate answers from the readership. I think
not!

Sincerely yourses,

Bob Swinney

(Delurking)
Yes, it's most certainly OK, Andrew. And I can't help but add the misuse
of "they're, their and there" among others. I wish I could overlook it,
but it's just like chalk grating on the aformentioned blackboard to me.
Wasn't everyone taught these rules back in grade school? I guess I'm the
pedantic one, but it just comes across as bone laziness to me. Sorry for
the rant.

Garrett Fulton
(Relurking)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 14 May 2006 15:59:38 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Robert Swinney" wrote: (clip) There is a large monument in Paris, built
completley from melted-down bronze cannon.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Beat *your* swords into plowshares.
Cast *your* cannon into nameplates.
*You're* the one who makes the choices.
*Your* teacher is the one who asks the questions.

Then there are those of us who have a maimed little finger and have a
devil of a time getting to the ' key, so have over the years, on these
informal newsgroups...shortcutted to "your" rather than the more
proper "you're".

Its homage to the goals of Liberal mandated outcome based
education..where spelng relay don mattr juz as lon az you feal gud
aboot yorself.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It doesn't matter how hard or how much a doctor has studied, the best
they can hope for is to practice medicine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

If it changes - the color is pleasing to the eye and common.
Bronze gets dark, brass turns green.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Albert wrote:
Why might a doctor use brass for her nameplate on the outside wall and
why is the material suitbale for this purpose?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

The sad thing - the melted Bronze cannon was likely as beautiful and more
historic. But likely post depose of the king.....

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Robert Swinney" wrote: (clip) There is a large monument in Paris, built
completley from melted-down bronze cannon.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Beat *your* swords into plowshares.
Cast *your* cannon into nameplates.
*You're* the one who makes the choices.
*Your* teacher is the one who asks the questions.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Of course they were. Statuary is never as beautiful as the commemoratti.

Bob Swinney

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Robert Swinney" wrote: (clip) There is a large monument in Paris, built
completley from melted-down bronze cannon.
Beat *your* swords into plowshares.
Cast *your* cannon into nameplates.
*You're* the one who makes the choices.
*Your* teacher is the one who asks the questions.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----