DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Boeshield on ways and bed ? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/15718-boeshield-ways-bed.html)

AL March 18th 04 10:58 PM

Boeshield on ways and bed ?

To prevent rust, I'm thinking about spraying a thin coat of Boeshield T9 on
my mill's table and ways, and on my lathe's bed. But can I use them like
that, or will the Boeshield cause binding between the moving parts? Am I
better using a less thick spray like Starrett M1? Is there something else
more suitable? Light machine oil?

Dave Baker March 18th 04 11:16 PM

Boeshield on ways and bed ?

Subject: Boeshield on ways and bed ?
From: "AL"
Date: 18/03/04 22:58 GMT Standard Time

To prevent rust, I'm thinking about spraying a thin coat of Boeshield T9 on
my mill's table and ways, and on my lathe's bed. But can I use them like
that, or will the Boeshield cause binding between the moving parts? Am I
better using a less thick spray like Starrett M1? Is there something else
more suitable? Light machine oil?

I don't like spray on stuff on mill beds or lathe ways as it generally makes
things sticky and harder to position jobs. It also attracts dust and grit. You
can't beat nice smooth clean cast iron for ease of use. Covering with an old
and oily rag between uses does as good a job of keeping rust at bay as most
workshops need.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)
I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish,
unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Stan Schaefer March 24th 04 07:45 PM

Boeshield on ways and bed ?

"AL" wrote in message news:tQp6c.36523$1p.546015@attbi_s54...
To prevent rust, I'm thinking about spraying a thin coat of Boeshield T9 on
my mill's table and ways, and on my lathe's bed. But can I use them like
that, or will the Boeshield cause binding between the moving parts? Am I
better using a less thick spray like Starrett M1? Is there something else
more suitable? Light machine oil?

For long-term storage, yes, Boeshield's the stuff along with LPS 3, as
long as you clean it off before using it again. LPS 3 is usually
cheaper around here. Between uses, if you've got a rust problem
because of humidity, use LPS 2 or something similar. Way oil may do,
too. If it's a real problem, you might consider a dehumidifier and
some shop heat.

Stan