Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MMcCawley

Default Suggestions on Tabletop Mill

Greetings,

I'm in the market for an older, quality used mill and was curious as to
what recommendations everyone might have. I'm looking for a small to
midsize 3 axis or Bridgeport type mill that I can mount on a bench or
pedestal in my garage. I'm limited on space so a full size mill is out
of the question. I'm trying to stay away from some of the cheaper
Chinese imports but I'm not quite sure which companies made such a
mill. Any ideas?

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

MMcCawley writes:

Any ideas?

Clausing 85xx. Hard to find.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/clausing%20vertical/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
azotic

"MMcCawley" wrote in message
ups.com...
Greetings,

I'm in the market for an older, quality used mill and was curious as to
what recommendations everyone might have. I'm looking for a small to
midsize 3 axis or Bridgeport type mill that I can mount on a bench or
pedestal in my garage. I'm limited on space so a full size mill is out
of the question. I'm trying to stay away from some of the cheaper
Chinese imports but I'm not quite sure which companies made such a
mill. Any ideas?

Thanks

I have a small hardinge vertical mill pictured in the middle of the page:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/cataract%20miller/page3.html

Excellent machine for those lacking shop space. If you can
find one grab it you won't be sorry.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Wooding

MMcCawley wrote:
Greetings,

I'm in the market for an older, quality used mill and was curious as to
what recommendations everyone might have. I'm looking for a small to
midsize 3 axis or Bridgeport type mill that I can mount on a bench or
pedestal in my garage. I'm limited on space so a full size mill is out
of the question. I'm trying to stay away from some of the cheaper
Chinese imports but I'm not quite sure which companies made such a
mill. Any ideas?

Thanks

The Centec 2A or 2B with the vertical head are excellent machines, if
you can find one.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/centec/index.html

--
Regards, Gary Wooding
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rashid111

Nuff bashing of Chinese imports. Folks had a case about 5 years
ago, now these are 100% legit metalworking equipment.

Take a very hard look @ Sieg X3: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0463

I own, all Chinese, HF:

- mini mill
- 7x14 lathe
- 4x6 bandsaw
- TIG
- MIG
- Air compressor (404xx)
- buffer-grinder
- dozens and dozens of hand tools

Never had a problem, most purchased over last 3 years or so.
If not for import, I'd never be able to have as much fun with
metalworking and knifemaking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Taunt

MMcCawley wrote:
Greetings,

I'm in the market for an older, quality used mill and was curious as to
what recommendations everyone might have. I'm looking for a small to
midsize 3 axis or Bridgeport type mill that I can mount on a bench or
pedestal in my garage. I'm limited on space so a full size mill is out
of the question. I'm trying to stay away from some of the cheaper
Chinese imports but I'm not quite sure which companies made such a
mill. Any ideas?

Thanks

Check out this site
www.lathemaster.com

They offer the Zay7045 (800 lbs.) benchtop mill.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary H

Harbor Freight sells the X3 now, also. I saw it in their online catlog but
not in a printed one, FYI.

oups.com...