AL

Default Equivalents for Shell Tellus 27 and Tonna 33 ?

The manual for my Enco lathe says to use Shell Tellus 27 and Shell Tonna 33
for lubrication. I can't find anybody that sells these items. Does anyone
know where I can buy them from, or if there are any equivalents?

clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:55:26 GMT, "AL" wrote:

The manual for my Enco lathe says to use Shell Tellus 27 and Shell Tonna 33
for lubrication. I can't find anybody that sells these items. Does anyone
know where I can buy them from, or if there are any equivalents?

IIRC the Tellus 27 is white hydraulic oil. The Myford rep pointed me
to John Deere tractor transmission and hydrauylic fluid.
Phil Teague

"AL" wrote in message news:JtM5c.25988$Cb.477090@attbi_s51...
The manual for my Enco lathe says to use Shell Tellus 27 and Shell Tonna 33
for lubrication. I can't find anybody that sells these items. Does anyone
know where I can buy them from, or if there are any equivalents?

This reply to the same question by Don Foreman (5/98) on this board:

"Tellus 27 would be referred to as an R&O 32 -- Rust & Oxidation
inhibited,
ISO 32 viscosity. Mobil DTE Light is an example.
Usually found only in 5 gallon lots, but McMaster-Carr sells gallon
jugs of
it for about $10.

For Tonna 33, use Mobil Vactra #2."

The answers to questions like this can usually be found by using the
search feature on Google.
michael

http://www.ccoilco.com/webpage/cross...synthetic.html

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/chart/lube.html

A couple more links for you.

mj

PrecisionMachinisT

"Phil Teague" wrote in message
om...
"AL" wrote in message

The manual for my Enco lathe says to use Shell Tellus 27 and Shell Tonna

33
for lubrication. I can't find anybody that sells these items. Does

anyone
know where I can buy them from, or if there are any equivalents?

The answers to questions like this can usually be found by using the
search feature on Google.

Or by placing a phone call to his nearest local lubricating oil distributer,
be it Chevron, Union 76, Shell, or other.....

Or even to a small local machine shop, perhaps......what would likely last
him a lifetime, he could probly scavenge outa one of my "empty" 5 gallon
pails.....only condition being he take the old pail away too.....

Hell, for a six pak, I might even dip a little out of a full bucket for
somebody--after hours, of course.....

SVL

michael

"AL" wrote in message

The manual for my Enco lathe says to use Shell Tellus 27 and Shell Tonna

33
for lubrication. I can't find anybody that sells these items. Does

anyone
know where I can buy them from, or if there are any equivalents?

The answers to questions like this can usually be found by using the
search feature on Google.

Or by placing a phone call to his nearest local lubricating oil distributer,
be it Chevron, Union 76, Shell, or other.....

Or even to a small local machine shop, perhaps......what would likely last
him a lifetime, he could probly scavenge outa one of my "empty" 5 gallon
pails.....only condition being he take the old pail away too.....

Hell, for a six pak, I might even dip a little out of a full bucket for
somebody--after hours, of course.....

SVL

And googling is not nearly as fun as posting a question here! Who the hell wants
to google for everything? Google doesn't throw in all the personal bits &
pieces. And maybe Sam will find another source of his favorite beverage!

Busy, Sam? Temporarily buried here.

michael

PrecisionMachinisT

"AL" wrote in message

[...]

Good answer, eh pal ?

I hadda buy 5 gallons of 10wt hyd for that one fadal spindle that runs
10,000 rpms.....

I might use 10 ounces per year of it--whats all this crap about using the
"right oil" anyways ???

We were discussing enco, IIRC.....G......They would likely do better to
just put notes saying "oil" or somesuch........

===

Yeah, I been busier than a cat covering poop lately......

I got a thin walled / floored prototype deal I got going, just about
finished up, its a electronic chassis/ card mount for a research biology
firm, water tight / shipboard use........as a teaser, they are currently
developing a new line of generators.....26,000 watts for electrofishing.

Quite the project, and certainly a strech for my lowly Bobcad.....its appx
18.75 in long and 6.76 wide and the blank is about an inch thick.

I would estimate appx 95 % of the mass is milled away, to reach the finished
part dimensions--It reminds me of some of the aircraft parts I used to make
back when I was with Boeing, except, dang it, this is even a bit thinner,
with the walls and floors being at .080 thick......

The heck of it is, I took the job when things were a little
slow......THEN.....just when I really got started on it, they
cancelled........Then they call back three weeks later an give the go-ahead
onnit again.........g

This just when our biggest account finally gets their extrusion in six weeks
late and decides to literally SWAMP us......talk about having a 1/3 of your
production capacity tied up in R&D that may well never pay off......I tell
ya pal, any engineering changes are gonna cost them big bucks if this one
ever flies.......

But its just about finished, though......and as it has been quite a
challenge for us, I been taking pictures......

Just ask, and I will send you a link to the photos, maybe even post a link
here, so long as theres no objections.........Speakeath now or forever hold
yer piece, folks........G

Anyways.....yup.....Im kinduva arrogant cuss.....

......But.....

I started out in my garage too.......And I wont ever forget that.....theres
a few of you out there I know havent a clew where all this is gonna lead you
in the next 10 or 20 years....Or do you ???

LOL..... Wanna be a machine shop owner ???

Buy a tavern instead, thats MY suggestion.............

Cheers,

--

SVL

michael

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

"AL" wrote in message

[...]

Know what you mean with the light hydro oil. Needed "a bit", so I also have a
bucket....
3 days later a buddy comes by and says 'you shoulda said sumthin, I got.......'

===

[...]

I *would* like to see pix. I have to get a new CD capable drive as I have some
photos promised to others, besides not being able to burn tunes, read data, etc.

I did get some shots of a couple cool looking parts done recently. In the
context
of August 1970 until now, recently is the last couple years or so, ya know?
Anyway, I thought they were cool. I'll make them available soon, complete with
war
stories ifn ya want!

Anyways.....yup.....Im kinduva arrogant cuss.....

Part of the job description. chuckle..

.....But.....

I started out in my garage too.......And I wont ever forget that.....theres
a few of you out there I know havent a clew where all this is gonna lead you
in the next 10 or 20 years....Or do you ???

LOL..... Wanna be a machine shop owner ???

Buy a tavern instead, thats MY suggestion.............

Cheers,

--

SVL

Well sports fans, gotta go, it's chiptime!

michael

gradstdnt

I had this same question about a year ago. These are the exact same oils
specified for Clausing Colchester Spindle, Gear feed, and apron/ways.
It's no surprise that the Chinese not only ripped off many design features
of Clausing lathes, they also ripped off their lubrication specifications.
No point in doing any more work than you have to.

Anyway, my conversation with Clausing yielded the modern day Mobil
equivalents. For the spindle, use Mobil DTE 24 in place of Shell
Tellus. For the apron or ways, use Mobil Vectra #2 in place of Shell
Tonna. My quick change gearbox is enclosed in an oil bath and uses
the DTE 24 as well.

So unlike telling you to visit machine shops with a six pack hoping to
find someone that will actually talk to you AND has leftover oil that
actually has the properties you want, you now have useful information
you can actually do something with.

"AL" wrote in message news:JtM5c.25988$Cb.477090@attbi_s51...
The manual for my Enco lathe says to use Shell Tellus 27 and Shell Tonna 33
for lubrication. I can't find anybody that sells these items. Does anyone
know where I can buy them from, or if there are any equivalents?

AL

Thanks for responding! I just put in an order for Mobil DTE24 and Vactrac

Walt Springs

Try AeroShell 80 from the nearest airport. Lots of shops use it in their
machine tools.