Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tool & Cutter Grinder Repair

I just bought a small KO Lee Tool & Cutter Grinder (model B800-10-51)
from a salvage yard. The unit is covered with rust but is otherwise in
decent shape.

The inboard way of the longitudinal table is worn some. I haven't
measured it but by eyeball I'd say there was a .010" depression in the
middle third of the way. This is a flat way. The outboard way is a VEE
shape and appears to have no significant difference in shape along the
entire length of the bed (about 20").

I've seen small tools that have been braised to replace missing metal.
Does it make sense to have someone attempt to braise the inboard way to
replace the missing metal (cast iron, I'd guess)? Or should I consider
some other repair method?

Thanks for your insight.

Gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend

http://www.moglice.com/

--
(©¿©) An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Two apples a day gets the doctor's OK.

Karl Townsend
wrote in message
ups.com...
I just bought a small KO Lee Tool & Cutter Grinder (model B800-10-51)
from a salvage yard. The unit is covered with rust but is otherwise in
decent shape.

The inboard way of the longitudinal table is worn some. I haven't
measured it but by eyeball I'd say there was a .010" depression in the
middle third of the way. This is a flat way. The outboard way is a VEE
shape and appears to have no significant difference in shape along the
entire length of the bed (about 20").

I've seen small tools that have been braised to replace missing metal.
Does it make sense to have someone attempt to braise the inboard way to
replace the missing metal (cast iron, I'd guess)? Or should I consider
some other repair method?

Thanks for your insight.

Gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On Mon, 08 May 2006 12:47:48 -0500, Jon Elson

I just bought a small KO Lee Tool & Cutter Grinder (model B800-10-51)
from a salvage yard. The unit is covered with rust but is otherwise in
decent shape.

The inboard way of the longitudinal table is worn some. I haven't
measured it but by eyeball I'd say there was a .010" depression in the
middle third of the way. This is a flat way. The outboard way is a VEE
shape and appears to have no significant difference in shape along the
entire length of the bed (about 20").

I've seen small tools that have been braised to replace missing metal.
Does it make sense to have someone attempt to braise the inboard way to
replace the missing metal (cast iron, I'd guess)? Or should I consider
some other repair method?

That will warp it. You could scrape it or have it ground on a surface
grinder.

Jon

Check using moglice/teflon-epoxy.

see: http://www.moglice.com/
if you register you can review the machine tool way rebuilding
handbook.

Unka George
(George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy
which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations;
even a democrat like myself must admit this.

But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy,
for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch,"
but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for the quick replies. I will take a serious look at the moglice
stuff.

Gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

F. George McDuffee wrote:

Check using moglice/teflon-epoxy.

see: http://www.moglice.com/

I have just read the handbook (it doesn't not require registering, just
press submit without filling in anything). It reads very promising! Also
interesting solutions, not just for repair.
Have you used that stuff?

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I downloaded the handbook, read relevant pieces and decided to contact
the company for more info.I sent them a message via their web site on
Monday afternoon.

So far I've received no reply. Do these guys only deal with business
customers rather than individuals or are they just busy?

Gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

wrote in message
oups.com...
I downloaded the handbook, read relevant pieces and decided to contact
the company for more info.I sent them a message via their web site on
Monday afternoon.

So far I've received no reply. Do these guys only deal with business
customers rather than individuals or are they just busy?

I've never had much luck with KO Lee. They've not returned 3 calls I made
to them inquiring about parts cost and availability and there were a couple
of problems with my only order to them ($200), though one guy I talked to
was pretty helpful. Grant Erwin seems to have had better luck - maybe he
will tip you off to his contact.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Now that you mention it, my message to KO Lee got no response either.
But I was actually referring to the moglice company in my previous
post.

It's the moglice product line I am (was) interested in. But if they are
too busy to respond to a potential customer, I will probably NOT be an
actual customer.

Gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On 12 May 2006 07:43:11 -0700, wrote:

Now that you mention it, my message to KO Lee got no response either.
But I was actually referring to the moglice company in my previous
post.

It's the moglice product line I am (was) interested in. But if they are
too busy to respond to a potential customer, I will probably NOT be an
actual customer.

Gary

google moglice -- there are a bunch of websites. I don't know
the minimum order quantities. Every time I have wanted to order
an industrial product, the question was always "how many 55
gallon drums would you like?"

see:
http://www.moglice.com/
http://www.moglice.com/newsite/frames/repairframe.html