Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland

Default Acme screw and way lubrication

I should be getting my welded steel table Monday. Then I can
reassemble my Sieg X3 mill.

What kind of common lubricant should be used on the lead screws for
the table, and for the head [inside the column]?

What should be used for the ways? Sieg says SAE20 oil... Or ISO68...

Comments?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Keith Marshall

I should be getting my welded steel table Monday. Then I can reassemble
my Sieg X3 mill.

What kind of common lubricant should be used on the lead screws for the
table, and for the head [inside the column]?

What should be used for the ways? Sieg says SAE20 oil... Or ISO68...

Little Machine Shop has put together an excellent book on the minimill,
meaning the X2, but I would think their recommendations would be appropriate
for the X3 too. Since it's available for free download from their site I
don't think they'll mind if I post an excerpt he

"We recommend the use of two lubricants on your mill. Where oil is required,
we recommend Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. Mobil 1 far exceeds the
lubrication needs of the mini mill, and maintains a good surface film
between applications. Any of the available viscosities work fine. Where
grease is required, we recommend Lubriplate 630-AA lithium (white) grease.
Lithium grease is a plastic-friendly grease that is widely available and
easy to use. "

Here's a link to the book:

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/inf...UsersGuide.pdf

Best Regards,