DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT how do I search newsgroups? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/156316-ot-how-do-i-search-newsgroups.html)

Chief McGee May 5th 06 11:01 PM

OT how do I search newsgroups?

I know there is a way to do this, but, I can't remember how. I want to
search for a thread that was posted several years ago. How do I do that?
Thanks

Steve Peterson May 5th 06 11:12 PM

"Chief McGee" wrote in message
I know there is a way to do this, but, I can't remember how. I want to
search for a thread that was posted several years ago. How do I do that?
Thanks

I use http://groups.google.com
Steve

Robin S. May 5th 06 11:15 PM

OT how do I search newsgroups?

"Chief McGee" wrote in message
I know there is a way to do this, but, I can't remember how. I want to
search for a thread that was posted several years ago. How do I do that?

Head to groups.google.com. You may want to use the "advanced search"
function if you know the rough date, which group it was in, etc.

Regards,

Robin

Wild Bill May 6th 06 06:10 PM

OT how do I search newsgroups?

The Advanced Groups Search link
http://groups.google.com/advanced_se...&lr=&ie=UTF-8&

Top section - your choice of search terms, topic, specific brand name,
model number, etc.

Group - rec.crafts.metalworking or other specific group that exists.
Otherwise, all newsgroups will be searched for your terms/keywords,
resulting in excessive results usually.
Subject (line) - optional
Author - optional

Language - optional

Message Dates - very handy tool, eliminates or includes years of posts
returned. If looking for info about a 10 year old item, earlier years
can be excluded. No point in searching years prior to the item's
existence (in many cases).

WB