Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Riser

Default Rust can be your friend...

For hunters of bargain priced machinery, rust can be your friend. A layer
of rust on a machine really helps to keep the price down. Quite servicable
machines can be recovered from rust by the cheap machinist. Go here to see
my latest rust bucket project:
http://www.JamesRiser.com/Machinery/...h/Restore.html

Enjoy.
Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Good job Jim - lets see some pics when finished and more important,
pics of work done on the machine.

What's your technique / formula for removing rust?

I think it's a sin when folks let perfectly good machine tools
deteriorate.

Ed

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Nice job.

Are you going to have it turn a spindle at high speed with a D drill ?
Oh yes - method of removing rust ?

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

James Riser wrote:
For hunters of bargain priced machinery, rust can be your friend. A layer
of rust on a machine really helps to keep the price down. Quite servicable
machines can be recovered from rust by the cheap machinist. Go here to see
my latest rust bucket project:
http://www.JamesRiser.com/Machinery/...h/Restore.html

Enjoy.
Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JLH974

A very-very nice work James
Please what is your trick for rust removal?

Jean-Luc H.
Reunion island

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Riser

To answer some of your questions/concerns...

How do I remove rust? Well, it all starts with selecting the correct type
of rust. After looking at and restoring a number of rusted machines, I have
learned to look for a certain type of rust. My Sheldon 12" shaper was a
rust bucket that had been stored outside under a tarp, my 11" Sheldom lathe
had a rusted solid taper attachment, the old Elgin lathe was rusty, all 4 of
my metal spinning lathes were rust buckets. All of these machines are
reliably supporting me right now. The key to rust removal is knowing what
type of rust can be removed and knowing exactly how precision a machine you
actually need for your intended work. All of my cleaned up machines exceed
my needs for precision. You want only surface rust with very minimal
pitting, if any. Try to avoid pitted items unless the pitting is on
non-critical components like external surfaces. You do not want pitted
lathe beds for example.

To remove most of the rust I use an angle grinder with a knotted wire wheel.
I use it dry - no oil on the rust at all. The loose rust just flies off of
the surface when cleaned up dry. If oil is on the rust, the surface rust
will be much more difficult to remove without possibly digging into the
metal surface (which you want to always avoid). How the wire wheel is
approached to the surface of the metal is critical. I approach the rusted
surface with the wire wheel almost parallel to the metal to be cleaned. The
wire wheel merely brushes off the dust without digging in. Approach edges
so that the wheel runs off of them - not into them. After the rust is
removed, I will go over the surface with a much finer wire wheel - this time
I lightly oil the metal surface. The resulting metal surface looks almost
pristine after cleaning with paint thinner. This wire wheel work is filthy
and protective clothing, dust mask/respirator, etc. should be worn.

As for workability of the pantograph currently being restored....
I have already tested the panto arms, spindle, etc. for full functionality.
All bearings have been cleaned/repacked, balls replaced as needed, etc. The
panto arms are tight and will work fine. Anything of concern now is only
cosmetic.

The drive system...
I replaced the original 3 phase motor with a single phase one as I do not
know exactly whaere I will be plugging in the finished machine. This makes
things easier on me. I used the original wiring as needed to hook up the
new motor. All of the extra 3 phase boxes and bulk were removed to
streamline things. The motor has a 2 step pulley which drives a stepped
idler pulley which, in turn, drives the spindle. There are 2 cloth woven
belts in the drive system. This gives a speed range from 3800-18000 rpm on
the spindle. The spindle with its precision high speed bearings was
obtained off of ebay. It is in excellent condition. The finished
pantograph will operate like the original - same drive system etc.

Jim

"James Riser" wrote in message
ink.net...
For hunters of bargain priced machinery, rust can be your friend. A layer
of rust on a machine really helps to keep the price down. Quite
servicable machines can be recovered from rust by the cheap machinist. Go
here to see my latest rust bucket project:
http://www.JamesRiser.com/Machinery/...h/Restore.html

Enjoy.
Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mlcorson

I recently attended an auction where I had my eye on a big Diacro
bender with a ton of big bending dies. It was rusted solid, as it had
been stored outside exposed for several years. The handle was rusted
solid as were the pins. Heavy rust. I stayed at the auction an extra
hour thinking I would snag it for next to nothing. As it turns out,
several guys were interested. It quickly got to $325 and for me that
was no bargain, given the many hours of work it would have required to
rehab it. The rust certainly would have badly pitted the surface. But I
didn't think it would affect performance. Would have liked to have
bought that at the "right" price.
-Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 1 May 2006 06:57:31 -0700, "mlcorson" wrote:

I recently attended an auction where I had my eye on a big Diacro
bender with a ton of big bending dies. It was rusted solid, as it had
been stored outside exposed for several years. The handle was rusted
solid as were the pins. Heavy rust. I stayed at the auction an extra
hour thinking I would snag it for next to nothing. As it turns out,
several guys were interested. It quickly got to $325 and for me that
was no bargain, given the many hours of work it would have required to
rehab it. The rust certainly would have badly pitted the surface. But I
didn't think it would affect performance. Would have liked to have
bought that at the "right" price.
-Mike

Im in the process of doing just that with a Diacro 24" finger brake.
I ran out of paint stripper, resorted to soaking the parts in brake
fluid (appropriate no?) then shooting them in the sand blasting
cabinet, then spray painting the individual parts. Its about half
done. Took me about 4 hours so far.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Riser

Guys;
The pantograph is all cleaned and painted (images are posted). Fonts are on
the way. I'll post a sample engraving after fonts arrive in a couple weeks.
Jim

"James Riser" wrote in message
ink.net...
For hunters of bargain priced machinery, rust can be your friend. A layer
of rust on a machine really helps to keep the price down. Quite
servicable machines can be recovered from rust by the cheap machinist. Go
here to see my latest rust bucket project:
http://www.JamesRiser.com/Machinery/...h/Restore.html

Enjoy.
Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

"James Riser" wrote in message
link.net...
For hunters of bargain priced machinery, rust can be your friend. A layer
of rust on a machine really helps to keep the price down. Quite
servicable machines can be recovered from rust by the cheap machinist. Go
here to see my latest rust bucket project:
http://www.JamesRiser.com/Machinery/...h/Restore.html

Enjoy.
Jim

After their baby was born, the panicked father went to see the
obstetrician. "Doctor," the man said, "I don't mind telling you, but
I'm a little upset because my daughter has red hair. She can't
possibly be
mine."

"Nonsense," the doctor said. "Even though you and your wife both have
black hair, one of your ancestors may have contributed red hair to
the
gene pool."

"It isn't possible," the man insisted. "This can't be, our families
on
both sides had jet-black hair for generations."

"Well," said the doctor, "let me ask you this. How often do you have
sex?"

The man seemed a bit ashamed. "I've been working very hard for the
past
year. We only made love once or twice every few months."

"Well, there you have it!" the doctor said confidently. "It's rust!"