DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Another eBay gem (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/155415-another-ebay-gem.html)

Dave Hinz April 28th 06 09:34 PM

Another eBay gem

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 21:30:39 +0000, Christopher Tidy wrote:

Okay, this is far from being the worst drill press ever, but I had to
chuckle at the way he describes it as "like new" and "well looked after".

Well, red rust is very fashionable, after all. Should clean up pretty
well with oil and maybe a stone, but sheesh - can't the guy at least
wipe it down to get the mass of rust off? Looks to be surface rust for
now, but it's obviously been stored outside. Wonder how the motor is.

David Billington April 28th 06 09:49 PM

Another eBay gem

The drill actually looks quite good from the photos but the table is
rusty, probably no big deal. Reminds me of a cheapo chinese drill some
friends have down a glass working studio which is used for drilling
glass. It uses a diamond core drill and water feed so the table gets wet
sometimes and is rusty but the upper end of the machine is fine.

Christopher Tidy wrote:

Since you all like to grin at the machine tools available on eBay,
take a look at this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7613430027

Okay, this is far from being the worst drill press ever, but I had to
chuckle at the way he describes it as "like new" and "well looked after".

Enjoy!

Chris

Leo Lichtman April 28th 06 10:15 PM

Another eBay gem

If any of you end uop buying this drill, I would like to make an offer on
the rust. I'd like to mix it with wax and use it to rub out my car.

Jim Stewart April 28th 06 10:38 PM

Another eBay gem

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 21:30:39 +0000, Christopher Tidy wrote:

Okay, this is far from being the worst drill press ever, but I had to
chuckle at the way he describes it as "like new" and "well looked after".

Well, red rust is very fashionable, after all. Should clean up pretty
well with oil and maybe a stone, but sheesh - can't the guy at least
wipe it down to get the mass of rust off? Looks to be surface rust for
now, but it's obviously been stored outside. Wonder how the motor is.

Anyone that can't rotate an image 90 degrees
is suspect.

grassStain April 28th 06 10:49 PM

Another eBay gem

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
If any of you end uop buying this drill, I would like to make an offer on
the rust.

I'd like to mix it with wax and use it to rub out my car.

That sounds like "wax on" and "wax off" (from "The Karate Kid") but all in
one stroke :-)

Mark Rand April 28th 06 11:46 PM

Another eBay gem

wrote:

Since you all like to grin at the machine tools available on eBay, take
a look at this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7613430027

Okay, this is far from being the worst drill press ever, but I had to
chuckle at the way he describes it as "like new" and "well looked after".

Enjoy!

Chris

I would say that the description is ironic rather than dishonest. The starting
price was perfectly honest.

It also looks to be in better condition than my drill was when I picked it up
from Jon Stevenson. On this one I would put the table and base on the shaper
and skim 15 thou off to return them to perfect condition. On mine, I had to
weld up a large number of craters and then machine the table and base flat and
skim the rust off the column. I paid £65 for mine so this drill will probably
reach a fair price.

Just my point of view :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Leo Lichtman April 29th 06 03:43 AM

Another eBay gem

"Mark Rand" wrote: I would say that the description is ironic* rather than
dishonest.(clip)

*The proper term is "ferric." ;-)

Fuhh April 29th 06 12:58 PM

Another eBay gem

Notice the chap's name - johnjippy

Hmmm

ff April 29th 06 07:20 PM

Another eBay gem

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Mark Rand" wrote: I would say that the description is ironic* rather than
dishonest.(clip)

*The proper term is "ferric." ;-)

Looks more like "rustic" :-O

Don Foreman April 29th 06 11:12 PM

Another eBay gem

wrote:

Since you all like to grin at the machine tools available on eBay, take
a look at this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7613430027

Okay, this is far from being the worst drill press ever, but I had to
chuckle at the way he describes it as "like new" and "well looked after".

Enjoy!

Chris

Wow, titanium nitride coated table! NEAT!!!!

Mark Rand April 29th 06 11:25 PM

Another eBay gem

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 18:20:57 GMT, ff wrote:

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Mark Rand" wrote: I would say that the description is ironic* rather than
dishonest.(clip)

*The proper term is "ferric." ;-)

Looks more like "rustic" :-O

AAAARRRGGGHHHH!

Mark Rand (Running away and hiding in a dark place ;-)
RTFM

Dave Hinz April 30th 06 02:33 AM

Another eBay gem

wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7613430027
Okay, this is far from being the worst drill press ever, but I had to
chuckle at the way he describes it as "like new" and "well looked after".

Wow, titanium nitride coated table! NEAT!!!!

Don, you might want to adjust the tint on your monitor...

Don Foreman April 30th 06 07:20 AM

Another eBay gem

wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7613430027
Okay, this is far from being the worst drill press ever, but I had to
chuckle at the way he describes it as "like new" and "well looked after".

Wow, titanium nitride coated table! NEAT!!!!

Don, you might want to adjust the tint on your monitor...

Hey, it displays flesh tones just fine....

Dave Hinz May 1st 06 05:50 PM

Another eBay gem

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 01:20:25 -0500, Don Foreman wrote:
On 30 Apr 2006 01:33:43 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 17:12:23 -0500, Don Foreman wrote:

Wow, titanium nitride coated table! NEAT!!!!

Don, you might want to adjust the tint on your monitor...

Hey, it displays flesh tones just fine....

OK, but how's the "glisten"? Because that's at least as important.