DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Is there a fluid by-pass in a submersible fountain pump. (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/153516-there-fluid-pass-submersible-fountain-pump.html)

[email protected] April 16th 06 04:43 AM

Is there a fluid by-pass in a submersible fountain pump.

I was just curious if one of these pumps has a hi pressure by pass. I
was going to use one to make a low pressure coolant pump with limited
flow, but don't want to burn the motor up if there is not a by pass.

Thanks, Steve

Don Foreman April 16th 06 05:16 AM

Is there a fluid by-pass in a submersible fountain pump.

On 15 Apr 2006 20:43:58 -0700, "
wrote:

I was just curious if one of these pumps has a hi pressure by pass. I
was going to use one to make a low pressure coolant pump with limited
flow, but don't want to burn the motor up if there is not a by pass.

Thanks, Steve

My guess is that they are centrifugal or "impeller" type pumps. That
type of pump is intrinsically pressure-limited, doesn't need need a
bypass. A restriction in the line (or gravity head) reduces flow
rate and downstream pressure while max pump outlet pressure remains
fairly constant at given RPM.

Bugs April 16th 06 07:26 AM

Is there a fluid by-pass in a submersible fountain pump.

The power curve for centrigugal pumps peaks at maximum flow & pressure.
At zero flow [blocked outlet] very little power is used because the
only work being done is slightly heating the fluid. At maximum flow and
zero head there is also very little work being done because there is no
lift [pressure increase].
Only positive displacement [cylinder or gear] pumps have a problem with
low flow.
Bugs

Kristian Ukkonen April 16th 06 12:32 PM

Bugs wrote:
The power curve for centrigugal pumps peaks at maximum flow & pressure.
At zero flow [blocked outlet] very little power is used because the
only work being done is slightly heating the fluid. At maximum flow and
zero head there is also very little work being done because there is no
lift [pressure increase].
Only positive displacement [cylinder or gear] pumps have a problem with
low flow.

Not universally true.

Some centrifugal pumps do require a minimum flow for
cooling parts of the pumphead - like bearings. In one
actual centrifugal pump rated for 45 l/min, that I just
had for repair, the minimum flow is 3 l/min and this
pump has plastic sleeve bearings inside pumphead.

It all depends on the pump design.

Kristian Ukkonen.