Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Default What is it? CX

More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
RAM³

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

638. Sundial
639. Letter Opener/Ruler/Postal Scale combination.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

R.H. wrote:
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

638. a compass.

The rest has me stumped. Pretty photos, though. 637, a wild guess, is
for stirring roasting chestnuts.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Darn! No idea on most.

637 Dunno about chestnuts, but definitely a wooden spoon. SWMBO has a few
very similar ones.

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

636 is some kind of ignition tool for bending points,
possibly plug electrodes, and, I think also for
adjusting the points on an old style regulator.
I bought it forem the Snap-On man, probably
in the late 1950's. It is marked
NO 115
K-D MFG CO
LANCASTER PA

I doubt if K-D tools still makes it....
Dinosaur Joel in Florida

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Brad

638 looks like a compass,
640 looks like a trowel for spreading glue, but the curve would mean it
is intended for use on a curved surface?!?
The others, I have no idea.
Brad

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Carl G.

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

636 Staple remover
637 Drumstick
638 Sundial with a compass
639 Letter opener/scale
640 Scraper
641 3-color pen set.

Carl G.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rich Grise

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 07:49:26 +0000, R.H. wrote:

More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

639 - fish knife - the notches in the end of the handle are for
winding your spare fishing line, and the little numbered dark circles are
a sinker gage. The ruler, obviously, is to give the illusion of accuracy
to your fish tales. ;-)

Anyway, that's my guess, and I'm sticking to it! ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

637 Dunno about chestnuts, but definitely a wooden spoon. SWMBO has a

few
very similar ones.

I had a difficult time getting a decent photo of this one, it's not a spoon,
the head is round like a ball. I clarified the description on the web site.

There are no correct answers for it yet. It's probably at least 50, maybe
up to 150 or more years old.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..

637 Dunno about chestnuts, but definitely a wooden spoon. SWMBO has a

few
very similar ones.

637 looks like a stocking darning ball to me.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

wrote in message
ups.com...
636 is some kind of ignition tool for bending points,
possibly plug electrodes, and, I think also for
adjusting the points on an old style regulator.
I bought it forem the Snap-On man, probably
in the late 1950's. It is marked
NO 115
K-D MFG CO
LANCASTER PA

I doubt if K-D tools still makes it....
Dinosaur Joel in Florida

Mine is marked the same and the next line under "Lancaster PA" is a patent
number, though some of the digits are worn away. If you get a minute I was
hoping you could let me know what the patent number is on yours.

Thanks,
Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Alexander Thesoso

637 Not enough guesses yet... Here is another. It is a club. Used for
ceremonial skull bashing. To add more spurious detail, it is obviously an
Elbonian ceremonial battle kabanga club.

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..

637 Dunno about chestnuts, but definitely a wooden spoon. SWMBO has a

few
very similar ones.

I had a difficult time getting a decent photo of this one, it's not a
spoon,
the head is round like a ball. I clarified the description on the web
site.

There are no correct answers for it yet. It's probably at least 50, maybe
up to 150 or more years old.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob, the 3 lines on mine are stamped, but I don't see any
evidence of a patent number below the "LANCASTER PA".
Do you remember whether the tool was for regulators as
well as points-n-plugs? Thansk....Joel

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Do you remember whether the tool was for regulators as
well as points-n-plugs?

The second line on mine reads "Point aligning tool"; and after a few more
attempts at guessing numbers that were mostly worn away, I found the correct
patent number: 2283789.

You can look it up he

http://patft1.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm

....where it's described as a "Distributor adjusting tool", patented in 1942.
After you search on the number, click on "images", you might have to refresh
the pages a few times, I always have trouble on that site with them not
fully loading.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

640 Scraper
641 3-color pen set.

These two are partially correct, 640 was marked as being a particular type
of scraper; and one of the items in 641 is a pen.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Unknown

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:28:56 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

,;
,; 640 Scraper
,; 641 3-color pen set.
,;
,;
,;These two are partially correct, 640 was marked as being a particular type
,;of scraper; and one of the items in 641 is a pen.

640 is for laying out glue for putting tile on a floor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Misty & Sean Foley

# 637 is called a Spurdle. It's for stirring oatmeal porridge. My
grandmother was Irish, She had a bunch of 'em.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Barbara Bailey

#637: could be a glassblower's tool, used for molding the hot gather
of glass.

#639: postal scale

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Nick Müller

R.H. wrote:

There are no correct answers for it yet. It's probably at least 50, maybe
up to 150 or more years old.

21" is maybe a bit on the short side, but:
It is used for painting/calligraphy on walls/windows as an arm rest. It
is missing some fabric on the "egg" end.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Bill Marrs

#639: postal scale

Hmmm. OK. Clip the letter in the slot at the handle end, stick a pivot
through the appropriate
hole to get it to balance. Neat!

#638 Gnomon of a sundial, with what appears to be a compass face below.
Portable (pocket?)
sundial?

#640 ? "Specific kind of scraper"? The curved profile is kind of a baffler.
I'm going to get way
out on the limb here---It is a butcher's tool, used for scraping down
carcasses after skinning
to remove excess fat etc. .

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
dgates

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:42:30 -0500, Barbara Bailey
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 07:49:26 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I think that #641 is part of the projection system for a Civil War era
giant-screen TV. I see the red and the blue and assume that the third
item is green.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Four of the six have been fully identified so far:

636. Point aligning tool for a distributor

637. Indian war club

638. Compass/sundial

639. Scale/letter opener

640. This tool was marked as being a scraper/shaver of a particular type,
shaver is probably a better description, I should have mentioned this in my

641. Two pieces of this set have been guessed correctly: a pen and pencil.
The last item is related to them, although in modern times this piece is no
longer used for the purpose for which it was made.

Several new photos have been posted on the incomplete answer page:

http://pzphotosan111-r.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Mark P

R.H. wrote:
Four of the six have been fully identified so far:

636. Point aligning tool for a distributor

637. Indian war club

638. Compass/sundial

639. Scale/letter opener

640. This tool was marked as being a scraper/shaver of a particular type,
shaver is probably a better description, I should have mentioned this in my

641. Two pieces of this set have been guessed correctly: a pen and pencil.
The last item is related to them, although in modern times this piece is no
longer used for the purpose for which it was made.

Wild guess: the third item is a knife to sharpen the pencil and pen quill?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Howard R Garner

R.H. wrote:

641. Two pieces of this set have been guessed correctly: a pen and pencil.
The last item is related to them, although in modern times this piece is no
longer used for the purpose for which it was made.

Based on that clue, I would guess the third item is "ink"

Howard Garner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

640. Hide scraper used by tanners?

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
Four of the six have been fully identified so far:

640. This tool was marked as being a scraper/shaver of a particular type,
shaver is probably a better description, I should have mentioned this in my

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Barbara Bailey

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 20:49:31 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Four of the six have been fully identified so far:

636. Point aligning tool for a distributor

637. Indian war club

638. Compass/sundial

639. Scale/letter opener

640. This tool was marked as being a scraper/shaver of a particular type,
shaver is probably a better description, I should have mentioned this in my

641. Two pieces of this set have been guessed correctly: a pen and pencil.
The last item is related to them, although in modern times this piece is no
longer used for the purpose for which it was made.

Hmm. Is the third piece a sand shaker for blotting the ink?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Bill Marrs

641. Two pieces of this set have been guessed correctly: a pen and
pencil.
The last item is related to them, although in modern times this piece is
no
longer used for the purpose for which it was made.

I think Mark P nailed it. Penknife----originally used to sharpen pens,
no longer used for that purpose.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Wild guess: the third item is a knife to sharpen the pencil and pen quill?

Knife is correct, though my guess is that it was used as an eraser to scrap
away mistakes, but I'm sure it was also used to sharpen the pencil lead.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

640. Hide scraper used by tanners?

Nope, I think it was more of a shaver than a scraper, possibly used in the
home, for something fairly common.

-----

In my post concerning the pen, pencil and knife, I forgot to link back to
the answer page where I've posted a new photo of set:

http://pzphotosan111-r.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , R.H.
wrote:

Nope, I think it was more of a shaver than a scraper, possibly used in the
home, for something fairly common.

Ice?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Four of the six have been fully identified so far:

641. Two pieces of this set have been guessed correctly: a pen and pencil.
The last item is related to them, although in modern times this piece is no
longer used for the purpose for which it was made.

A knife, perhaps.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Nick Müller

R.H. wrote:

In my post concerning the pen, pencil and knife, I forgot to link back to
the answer page where I've posted a new photo of set:

http://pzphotosan111-r.blogspot.com/

I also think that the knife was used for erasing. I did that many times
when drawing plans on transparent paper with black ink. You get errors
only off with razor-blades or the like.
Because the surface gets rough by scratching, you would get raggy lines
if writing over that spot again. Either smoothen it with the flat of
your finger nail, or with the handle of the knife (see below). Depending
on the radius of the glass(?) balls in the end of the handles on your
photo, they might be used for that purpose.
My dad, who was an architect, had a special knife for that purpose,
albeit it looked different.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DIY-DRO // Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
http://www.yadro.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:140420061751290284%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , R.H.
wrote:

Nope, I think it was more of a shaver than a scraper, possibly used in

the
home, for something fairly common.

Ice?

Correct, it's an ice shaver.