Don Bruder

Default Advice to keep cars from sliding into my yard on bad curve.

In article , Reyd Dorakeen
wrote:

The solution is to prevent the people from ever driving on his yard in
the first place. I like the big boulders on your side of the property
line idea. Big pine trees may work as well.

plant some expensive slow growing trees and charge for damages maybe try
poison ivy hoping they get the irritating oil on the doors?

Planting poison ivy for any reason outside of building a habitat for an
exhibit in a museum/zoo/similar would be a criminal offense in and of
itself in *MANY* parts of the US.

It would probably be prosecuted under the heading of
"planting/propogating/distributing noxious vegetation", or similar
verbiage. Most (if not all) states specifically forbid this sort of
"bio-warfare".

Poison ivy is fine, if it "just grows wild" - But deliberately plant or
otherwise encourage it, and you're likely to find yourself up on charges.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
I respond to Email as quick as humanly possible. If you Email me and get no
zxcvbob

Old Nick wrote:
On 2 Mar 2004 06:16:33 -0800, (Don) vaguely
proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Just to put this in perspective, and to illustrate the dangers. This
is extreme but did happen, right now, right here in lil ol Perth
Western Australia, pop 1.5Mil...full of nice Aussie guys and others.

"Fair go" and all that. No New York "excitement".

Never before.....

We have just had a road rage incident, where a guy's brake/tail lights
were only working on one side, and he stopped for a cyclist. Guy
behind picked an argument. The first guy pulled into his _own
driveway_.

Follower starts an argument about the lights, etc. Argument probably
escalated. Then the "plaintiff of the first part" drove down the other
guy's driveway, and slammed into his car. The slam made the
_'plaintiff's"_ car undriveable (2-3' bending of frontend)
............and incidentally squashed a 2 year old kid between the two
cars.

He was running behind the car to see his Granpa.

I hate kids and have none. They are obnoxious little farts. I did not
like _me_ as a kid. But they are _innocent_, at 2 years old.

The only good thing to come out of this was that the "plaintiff of the
first part" 's vehicle was a screen-smashed mess... at _both_ ends.

The police have said that "as a result of his being removed from his
vehicle after the accident, he sustained injuries" (he's in hospital,
with the crap beaten out of him), and that "it is unlikely that
charges will be laid against the relatives of the deceased". (he
deserved it?)

My point is:

Somebody you care about could get hurt. This is important _before_
that happens.

Keep those vehicles off your land, or move. If the shire won't help,
ask again. If you lose somebody...or even your front lawn....in this,
then you are not at fault.

In a litigious society that I deplore, you are one of the genuine.
************************************************** ** sorry

.........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?

What are you talking about? Your story might have been compelling, but it
is impossible to follow with the "plaintiff of the first part" bull****
without ever having properly introducing the characters.

-Bob
Gunner

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 12:30:40 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

Spike....Spike? Hello?

What are you talking about? Your story might have been compelling, but it
is impossible to follow with the "plaintiff of the first part" bull****
without ever having properly introducing the characters.

-Bob

A guy (call him Bob) only had brake lights on one side. He stopped for
a dude on a bicycle. This ****ed off another driver (call him Paul).

An argument ensued. The guy with the bad brake lights (Bob) went
home. The ****ed off driver (Paul) followed Bob home, and when Bob
parked in his driveway, Paul intentionally slammed his car into the
back of Bobs.

Not only did Paul smash up both cars, but he also crushed between
them a 2 yr old toddler who was rushing to see his granddaddy Bob.

At this point, Bobs family, (Sue, Frank, Melvin, Harvey, Mary Anne and
Peter) drug Paul out of his vehicle, and using cricket bats, blunt
objects, hands, feet, teeth and a woomera, beat Paul to within an inch
of his life.

Paul is currently in intensive care, where hopefully he will die in
screaming agony after a considerable amount of time has passed.

The butchered child remains a bloody smear on the driveway until a
putty knife can be found.

The family will not be charged.

Road rage sucks and is possible even in Oz.

Got it?

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should
fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"
zxcvbob

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I couldn't tell from the original story who ran into whom.

-Bob
Bruce L. Bergman

wrote:

[...]

All I know is, if I was "Paul" and I survived the beating and got
out of the hospital, I would be pleading with a judge to lock me up
for a long time and throw away the keys for my own protection, unless
I had the money to move far away and totally disappear.

Because "Bob" or his family members, based on their initial
reaction to "Paul's" action are not likely to soon forget, or forgive.
"Paul's" head would have a bounty on it - and you simply can't put a
price tag on the 2-year-old innocent life he took...

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Paul is currently in intensive care,

Well there's your mistake right there.
Somebody goofed up.

Jim

please reply to:

Refinish King

Thank you for the clarification to the other person:

Also, I am in 100% agreement with yoy. ****, I'd let the toddler's family in
for another 5 minute un refereed round!

Refinish King

PS

What I said in my first post in this thread, the OP has to protect his
family. Make the ditch deep enough to stop and slide the car almost onto
it's side. A DUI, a big repair and legal bill. Will set an example, and
other's will know to slow down at that curve.

Get the media involved. There is power in the media.

Don't be the 140 pound grandmother, fighting off the 250 6 foot crackhead
without a pistol!

news
wrote:

[...]

Refinish King

Amen!

Also, with decent people like me. Sick of innocent people getting killed in
the crossfire of other's stupidity, whether it's drunk driving, road rage,
crack deals gone bad or killing a woman who refuses to give up her purse.

The bounty might be real cheap!

Refinish King

wrote:

[...]

Refinish King

Maybe the police got there too soon?

Refinish King

PS

Even justice minded police have to do their job, the police who investigated
the attempted rape of my daughter said they'd look the other way as long as
they didn't hear any screaming.

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Gunner says...

Paul is currently in intensive care,

Well there's your mistake right there.
Somebody goofed up.

Jim

please reply to:

Gunner

wrote:

[...]

I wonder if there is an official name for a homicide involving being
slowly impaled on a didgeridoo in a remote and unvisited corner of
NSW?

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should
fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"

Old Nick

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 22:50:36 -0500, "Refinish King"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:
Thank you for the clarification to the other person:

I didn't think it was that bad in the first place. Gunner seemed to
have no trouble.

What I said in my first post in this thread, the OP has to protect his
family. Make the ditch deep enough to stop and slide the car almost onto
it's side. A DUI, a big repair and legal bill. Will set an example, and
other's will know to slow down at that curve.

Part of my reason for posting the previous garblement was to point out
that if anyone living in a house takes obvious action to damage or
disable a vehicle that runs off the road, even into their yard, they
are liable to be on the receiving of some very nasty, dangerous
behaviour. Best let the authorities take care, and make it plain it's
not you.
************************************************** ** sorry

..........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?
DejaVU

Brian Henderson scribed in
:

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 16:40:21 -0800, Halvey
wrote:

Can we get a picture of this? Or an address? I'd love to see
why this curve is so...alluring?

Mine isn't the curve, that was whoever started this thread. I
just have a 2-way stop sign on a busy street and nobody looks
before just rolling through the stop.

the way to fix that is to have the city build a 'speed hump' on the
stop line
the ones we have here work well. it is a concrete plateau about 10
inches up from the tar, 45 degree entrance slop eeach end, the
plateau is about 4 or 5 feet wide.

if you hit it at 'roll through' speed you break some part of your
car.

swarf, steam and wind

--
David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/welcome.html \ /
Don Bruder

In article ,
DejaVU wrote:

Brian Henderson scribed in
:

wrote:

Can we get a picture of this? Or an address? I'd love to see
why this curve is so...alluring?

Mine isn't the curve, that was whoever started this thread. I
just have a 2-way stop sign on a busy street and nobody looks
before just rolling through the stop.

the way to fix that is to have the city build a 'speed hump' on the
stop line
the ones we have here work well. it is a concrete plateau about 10
inches up from the tar, 45 degree entrance slop eeach end, the
plateau is about 4 or 5 feet wide.

if you hit it at 'roll through' speed you break some part of your
car.

****... at 10 inches tall and 4-5 feet wide, it'd break parts of my car
if I got out and pushed, let alone hit it at "roll through" speed. And
that's with my car being absolutely stock in every detail - no lowering,
no low-profile tires, no anything that's different in any way from what
came on it when it left the factory.

First thing to give would probably be the front clip, since a 10 inch
hump with a 45 degree approach would be about 5 inches higher than the
ground clearance of the air-dam, and the front tires would still be
close to a foot away from even starting to touch the "ramp". Things
would go smooth once the front tires actually climbed the hill, but as
soon as they started down the other side - scrape/crunch, and the car
would come to a stop with all four tires hanging in the air, and the
body resting solidly on the "hump".

That would be true for most vehicles I'm familiar with other than
trucks/sport-utilities with lots of ground clearance.

No, friend, I think you're either "inventing" the hump, or have no grasp
of what distance 10 inches actually is.

(Local trailer park I occasionally have to deliver to has speed bumps
that are between 6 and 8 inches high, depending on exactly which one you
choose to measure. I won't drive in that park anymore, since crossing
those oversized speed bumps *AT ANY SPEED* I've attempted, from "get out
and push" to "stomp the gas and hope for the best" grinds the entire
undercarriage.)

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
I respond to Email as quick as humanly possible. If you Email me and get no
response, see http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html Short
form: I'm trashing EVERYTHING that doesn't contain a password in the subject.
zxcvbob

Old Nick wrote:
[...]

My favorite suggestion so far has been to park an old car with a "for
sale" sign on it just inside the property line where most of the
accidents occur. It's not at all obvious that it is being used as a
barrier, and when someone crashes into it, you can collect from their
insurance.

-Bob
pyotr filipivich

A city wide blackout at 2 Mar 2004 06:16:33 -0800 did not prevent
(Don) from posting to rec.crafts.metalworking the
following:
Hey there, got an unusual question:

I live out in the country and part of my front yard is on a curve.
Constantly when it is wet outside, cars go too fast around it despite
signs being posted and end up sliding in my front yard. There is a
small ditch along the road that they go through and into my front
yard. Yesterday, someone even took out a bush I had planted at the end
of my driveway.

ANy bright ideas on what I could do? I thought about taking a tiller
and making the ditch deeper where it would be harder for cars to go
through. I even though of welding together some sort of guardrail to
but on my side of the ditch.

"Tank trap" is what comes to mind, but call it something else. "Storm
water retention and diversion landscaping." Basically, a ditch which has a
gentle slope on the street side down to an embankment on the property side.
The idea is folks sliding off the road will go down the slope and into the dirt
wall, and not into your yard.

Any help woould be greatly appreciated!

Option two is a "'real' tank trap" of rail road rails vertically in the
ground to serve as the uprights of a fence.

Or you can always put brightly painted stakes pointed at the road, with a
light on them with a sign "Skid here and die!"

I'm kind of partial to putting a wreck on its side, just off the road, with
a sign "Private Road - Mined" on the gate. (And you can tell anyone who
objects "oops - typo. Should read 'mind', its an old New England expression
for 'take heed'").
Bwahahaha.

Anyway, probably the best idea is the landscaped "car catcher" outlined in
the first paragraph.

--
pyotr filipivich.

Brian Henderson

On 8 Mar 2004 09:46:05 GMT, DejaVU
wrote:

the way to fix that is to have the city build a 'speed hump' on the
stop line
the ones we have here work well. it is a concrete plateau about 10
inches up from the tar, 45 degree entrance slop eeach end, the
plateau is about 4 or 5 feet wide.

I wish they'd do something. Actually, they need to put in either a
4-way stop sign or a light at the intersection. People speed through
there at 50-60 all the time, it's no wonder people are getting hit as
badly as they are.
Ed Patterson

Keep a video or movie camera handy and document the crashes. The
insurance company for a injured plaintiff will pay you for your movies
and testimony. Think of it as a part time job.

Ed Patterson

wrote:

the way to fix that is to have the city build a 'speed hump' on the
stop line
the ones we have here work well. it is a concrete plateau about 10
inches up from the tar, 45 degree entrance slop eeach end, the
plateau is about 4 or 5 feet wide.

I wish they'd do something. Actually, they need to put in either a
4-way stop sign or a light at the intersection. People speed through
there at 50-60 all the time, it's no wonder people are getting hit as
badly as they are.

DejaVU

Don Bruder scribed in
:

the ones we have here work well. it is a concrete plateau
about 10 inches up from the tar, 45 degree entrance slop eeach
end, the plateau is about 4 or 5 feet wide.

No, friend, I think you're either "inventing" the hump, or have no
grasp of what distance 10 inches actually is.

ok, I'll measure it and photograph it for you. I'm interested to
see how close my height guess is....

swarf, steam and wind

--
David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/welcome.html \ /
ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML E-Mail - - - - - - - X
If you receive email saying "Send this to everyone you know," / \
PLEASE pretend you don't know me.
Member

If you live in Texas, you can shoot them after they end up on your property.
Nick Hull

In article ,
makesawdust wrote:

If you live in Texas, you can shoot them after they end up on your
property.

But do you have a good recipe for long pig for your BBQ?

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:43:21 +0000, makesawdust

||If you live in Texas, you can shoot them after they end up on your
||property.

...or if they cut into your lane

Texas Parts Guy
Sunworshipper

wrote:

If you live in Texas, you can shoot them after they end up on your
property.

COOL .(not like people dyeing and (them's) how they will not change
till 5 people die to put in a yellow blinking light like saying 100mph
is impossible on this curve and will end up in *that* yard !), I
should move back to TX. I'd buy some hyway cons. concrete barriers
and set with a crane somewhat close to the house and not worry about
it. They'd have to hit them pretty hard to get to the house. They set
them right on the sidewalk here in bad places.

The first thing when considering the property would be the traffic...
No way , I'd get myself into that position ...

One time I was visiting some people and they thought it fun to go
across a separated highway and into the exit of rest stops @ a 100
seemed like and plow through the nice green county grass. Deep runts
sideways and over and over them like a washboard for what to them was
fun... I must admit the flying sod was quite spectacular.

Later on I was looking at the sod between the rim and bead of the tire
and couldn't believe that it still had pressure. Good inch of sod !

Frankly I've done worse in some respects , but that was wild.

One time I found a friend of a friend that flew like 90' over a curved
highway rail with his motorcycle in a strange to me state of the
union. He was alive and bitching like a sailor. He had bailed over an
argument with someone else and never showed back up. I had no idea
where to go look for him and given up and drove back and saw a dent in
*(a)* guard rail and found him deep into a much lower front yard of a
house. Heard from him once years later and he was bitching cause I
used the word ****.

Jordan

Jersey barrier.
Old Nick

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:35:35 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

He said he lived in Kentucky. You can't shoot them there for being on your
property any more than you can in Texas. Get real.

Bob Swinney

Actually he didn't. This thread has been replied to in error. This is
a the old old thread about "Advice to keep cars from sliding into
my yard on bad curve." by our erstwhile companion Don. The Kentucky
guy's title is "Fed up about cars ending up in yard because of driving
too fast"

I only point this out because this is really weird, or a troll under a
new name.

Gunner

wrote:

He said he lived in Kentucky. You can't shoot them there for being on your
property any more than you can in Texas. Get real.

Actually in Texas,if its night time..you can. All you need say is they
were trying to burglarize your property.

gunner

Bob Swinney

"makesawdust" wrote in message

If you live in Texas, you can shoot them after they end up on your
property.

--
makesawdust

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young
Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building?
On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's?
Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc.
Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems
through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets.
Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that
"civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops"
Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism

Robert Swinney

Gunner sez:

" Actually in Texas,if its night time..you can. All you need say is they
were trying to burglarize your property."

Naw, Gunner! You got that partly right. What you left out is that you have
to drag the bodies inside (preferably before the cops arrive) and claim self
defense. This is the famous "Male my day" rule, although it is up to local
interpretation. Some jurisdictions tend to lean heavily in favor of the
perps, particularly if the protector is a known gun freak.

Bob Swinney

wrote:

[...]

Gunner

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:34:22 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Gunner sez:

" Actually in Texas,if its night time..you can. All you need say is they
were trying to burglarize your property."

Naw, Gunner! You got that partly right. What you left out is that you have
to drag the bodies inside (preferably before the cops arrive) and claim self
defense. This is the famous "Male my day" rule, although it is up to local
interpretation. Some jurisdictions tend to lean heavily in favor of the
perps, particularly if the protector is a known gun freak.

Bob Swinney

Actually no Bob..you can shoot the dude in the middle of your back 40.
A rather famous case not long ago had the home owner shooting a tow
truck driver with a rifle, through the cab, when the tow truck driver
mistakenly tried to repo the wrong pickup truck (a Darwin Event)

Texas has some interesting laws visa vis the use of deadly force for
protection of property and livestock.

Delaware IRRC and a number of other states have the Make My Day laws.
You may simply shoot an intruder, even if he does not demonstrate a
threat to you or yours.

As you say, its often up to local juries. However..if the perp had
assumed room temperature, his testimony is usually not asked for.

Gunner

.. .