DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   16" abrasive chop saw gets its toughest test yet (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/151688-16-abrasive-chop-saw-gets-its-toughest-test-yet.html)

Grant Erwin April 2nd 06 04:16 AM

16" abrasive chop saw gets its toughest test yet

I recently resurrected an old 16" abrasive chop saw with a 7.5 hp motor. Today I
had to make a bunch of 45° cuts on 4x1½" steel channel, pretty stout stuff, and
the chop saw was - barely - tough enough. Lot of steel to get through. It's
amazing how easy it is to stall a 7.5hp motor with an abrasive blade. The guy I
was cutting parts for was amazed and delighted at how fast and clean the cuts
were. I used to own a 14" abrasive chop saw and there is no comparison whatever,
a bigger saw wins hands down.

GWE

Wayne Cook April 2nd 06 03:04 PM

16" abrasive chop saw gets its toughest test yet

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:16:19 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I recently resurrected an old 16" abrasive chop saw with a 7.5 hp motor. Today I
had to make a bunch of 45° cuts on 4x1½" steel channel, pretty stout stuff, and
the chop saw was - barely - tough enough. Lot of steel to get through. It's
amazing how easy it is to stall a 7.5hp motor with an abrasive blade. The guy I
was cutting parts for was amazed and delighted at how fast and clean the cuts
were. I used to own a 14" abrasive chop saw and there is no comparison whatever,
a bigger saw wins hands down.

Great. I did warn you that it's almost impossible to have enough HP
on one of those. :-)