DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Another vibratory polisher question (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/151086-another-vibratory-polisher-question.html)

Bob Engelhardt March 28th 06 11:08 PM

Another vibratory polisher question

I have just about finished building one and need to know about the
action it should have. I read on a web site for commercial polishers
that they use 3600 rpm as the speed, so I set it for that. But I don't
know how vigorous it should be. Does one of these *just* vibrate, or is
there a noticeable shaking to the action? Putting it quantitatively,
how much displacement (side to side) does a v-p have?

Thanks,
Bob

Eric R Snow March 29th 06 12:22 AM

Another vibratory polisher question

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:08:12 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I have just about finished building one and need to know about the
action it should have. I read on a web site for commercial polishers
that they use 3600 rpm as the speed, so I set it for that. But I don't
know how vigorous it should be. Does one of these *just* vibrate, or is
there a noticeable shaking to the action? Putting it quantitatively,
how much displacement (side to side) does a v-p have?

Thanks,
Bob

Is it a bowl? What's the capacity? Some of the machines have an
adjustable weight to vary the amplitude. You should see a good mixing
action when it is running. If you are going to use water in it then
that will also change the action. How did you build it?
ERS

Bob Engelhardt March 29th 06 06:05 PM

Eric R Snow wrote:
Is it a bowl? What's the capacity?

Yes, with a center cone. It is nearly 2 gallons full, but I don't think
I'd run it full. 12" diameter.

Some of the machines have an
adjustable weight to vary the amplitude. You should see a good mixing
action when it is running.

I see a vibrating, rolling action, very little side-to-side
displacement. The rolling is such that the medium comes up the sides
and down in the middle. The medium also rotates around the bowl. I
think that I'll experiment with different weights & see what happens.

Is there any noticeable displacement when yours runs?

If you are going to use water in it then
that will also change the action.

I don't know if I'll be using water, but I built it so that I could (tight).

How did you build it?

I used a 20#/5 gallon propane tank. I cut the bottom off for the bowl
and used the top as the stand. A tread mill motor with an eccentric.
Lawn mower valve springs for suspension. I'll post pix when I've gotten
all the kinks out.

Bob

Eric R Snow March 29th 06 09:17 PM

Another vibratory polisher question

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:05:07 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Eric R Snow wrote:
[...]

Your setup appears to be running perfectly. The amplitude you will
need to adjust to your own liking. If the media is cutting too
rapidly, or taking off too much, then lower the amplitude. Since you
are using a treadmill motor you should also be able to vary the speed.
Try that and see what happens. Another problem with higher amplitude
is that the media can be forced into openings in the parts. The stuff
can get jammed in very tight.
ERS