Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Leadscrews

Hi all, I am new here.
I have just bought a Granville Senior Lathe,(some parts are similar to
a Myford ML7) probably as old as I am. Unfortunately the leadscrews on
the cross slide and topslide are not as desired.
The crossslide has got a really badly worn nut with about 4mm play
longitudinally.You can see the wear marks on the screw. The Topslide
has had the original leadscrew removed, the topslide reversed and a new
hole drilled and threaded to take what looks like a Whitworth thread.

So , my question is, where can I get replacements?
do I
a) send off to an engineering company to get new screws and nuts?
b) obtain Myford screws and nuts? Does anyone know if they will fit?

I I go for option a), is it worth going for a ball-screw system?

If I had a working lathe I could I suppose cut some new screws, but its
a bit like 'theres a hole in my bucket'

Does anyone have a copy of the manual for the lathe? I would be willing
to purchase one.