Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Calc'g deflections using BeamBoy

Awl--

Been fooling around w/ this program/utility. Pretty neat.

Quick Qs:

For a W beam, you can orient it so that it looks like an "I" or like an "H".
Which orientation does the X-X value for the moment correspond to? I
believe X-X corresponds to the "I" orientation, judging from comparisons w/
channels, whose relative deflections is intuitively clear.

For a "4x13" W beam, whose flange width (4.060) is about equal to the main
web depth (4.160), and considerably thicker (flange thickness .345 vs web
thickness of .280), the program indicates deflection in the H position to be
*3 times* the deflection in the "I" position--about .311" vs. .106", for a
10 foot beam supported at the ends, w/ a 1000 lb point load at the center.

Does this make sense? I would have expected the deflection in the H
position to be only 1/2 the deflection in the I position.

Whazzup?
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll