Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default OT-- Any of you guys using a "man purse"?

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 05:23:11 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 07:29:26 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
quickly quoth:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 05:51:14 +0000, (DoN.
Nichols) wrote:

I have a belt-mounted leather pouch which contains calculators
(scientific and computer math types), pens, checkbooks, lots of small
screwdrivers, tire pressure gauge, pin vise, and several 6" steel
rules.

The cell phone (when I take it with me) lives in another belt
pouch, custom to it. Another belt pouch has the Gerber "switchblade
pliers", and yet another leather holster contains a Mini MagLite sized
LED flashlight. My keys also hang from a carabiner on my belt.

As should be obvious -- I'm not out to win fashion awards. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Crom.....you got more **** than Batman!!

You forgot to ask "Is that a real carabiner, or a Searz carabiner?"

(And I doubt there are many readers of this newsgroup who are real
fashion plates, Don. Hell, I keep clothes around so long that some
of my 70s shorts are back in style. Wanna by a pair of gently used OP
wide-wale corduroy shorts?)

I still holding out for my Neru jackets to be fashionable again. (and
yes..they still fit. Sorta )

Gunner

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends
--
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development --

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
CanopyCo

I did for a while, and am going to build myself another one soon.
Mine was a small ammo type pouch that fastened to my belt as was about
the size of a billfold.

I had a bummed up hand at the time, and found it difficult to hold a
billfold and still dig in it to fish out money.

Now am looking at one to hold my billfold so that it is more
comfortable to carry by making a pocket for it on my belt.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke

Nichols) wrote:

[...]

I donated mine to Goodwill a while back when I tried one on and found that I
could get my arm about halfway down the sleeve.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:18:58 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
quickly quoth:

I still holding out for my Neru jackets to be fashionable again. (and
yes..they still fit. Sorta )

Crikey, I had a Nehru jacket when I was the equipment manager
(official title for the 13 y/o brother of the lead guitarist's
girlfriend's brother) for the band in 1966. Man, has it been
THAT long? I'm absolutely positive mine would no longer fit.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends
-- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development --
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On 14 Mar 2006 08:34:02 -0800, "CanopyCo" wrote:

Now am looking at one to hold my billfold so that it is more
comfortable to carry by making a pocket for it on my belt.

Pickpockets.
Safest place is in a front pocket IIRC.
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:58:27 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:42:43 -0500, the renowned Cliff
wrote:

On 14 Mar 2006 08:34:02 -0800, "CanopyCo" wrote:

Now am looking at one to hold my billfold so that it is more
comfortable to carry by making a pocket for it on my belt.

Pickpockets.
Safest place is in a front pocket IIRC.

Inside pocket in a zipped-up windbreaker.

I've had stuff stolen from a front pocket (they had to create an
artificial crush of people to get their hands in there).

Might try a "dummy" (bait) wallet in a hip pocket ...
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

wrote:

On 14 Mar 2006 08:34:02 -0800, "CanopyCo" wrote:

Now am looking at one to hold my billfold so that it is more
comfortable to carry by making a pocket for it on my belt.

Pickpockets.
Safest place is in a front pocket IIRC.

Inside pocket in a zipped-up windbreaker.

I've had stuff stolen from a front pocket (they had to create an
artificial crush of people to get their hands in there).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

wrote:

On 14 Mar 2006 08:34:02 -0800, "CanopyCo" wrote:

Now am looking at one to hold my billfold so that it is more
comfortable to carry by making a pocket for it on my belt.

Pickpockets.
Safest place is in a front pocket IIRC.

Inside pocket in a zipped-up windbreaker.

I've had stuff stolen from a front pocket (they had to create an
artificial crush of people to get their hands in there).

Might try a "dummy" (bait) wallet in a hip pocket ...

Always do in high risk situations (more for potential muggings than
pickpockets). Never needed it yet, but someday..

$100 or so in small bills, other useless pocket litter, a few expired
cards etc.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
CanopyCo

Cliff wrote:
On 14 Mar 2006 08:34:02 -0800, "CanopyCo" wrote:

Now am looking at one to hold my billfold so that it is more
comfortable to carry by making a pocket for it on my belt.

Pickpockets.
Safest place is in a front pocket IIRC.
--
Cliff

There is no pocket on my jeans that will be harder to get into then my
leather pouch with a fastened flap wore on the front of my belt next to
my buckle.

No one touches that area of me and is not noticed immediately.
Not that I allow anyone that close to me anyway.
I don't do pressing crowds.

BTW
$20 in $1 bills thrown in the air is pretty good at distracting muggers
while one runs away at high speed screaming like a little girl.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

In article .com,
"CanopyCo" wrote:

Cliff wrote:
On 14 Mar 2006 08:34:02 -0800, "CanopyCo" wrote:

Now am looking at one to hold my billfold so that it is more
comfortable to carry by making a pocket for it on my belt.

Pickpockets.
Safest place is in a front pocket IIRC.
--
Cliff

There is no pocket on my jeans that will be harder to get into then my
leather pouch with a fastened flap wore on the front of my belt next to
my buckle.

No one touches that area of me and is not noticed immediately.
Not that I allow anyone that close to me anyway.
I don't do pressing crowds.

BTW
$20 in $1 bills thrown in the air is pretty good at distracting muggers
while one runs away at high speed screaming like a little girl.

Well, one could shoot them as they scramble for the bills, but,
regrettably, baiting game is illegal in some locales.

And on the subject: Every year, after a two-week-long SCA event, I have
to get used to distributing all the junk I kept easily in a pouch around
my body again.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 14 Mar 2006 08:34:02 -0800, "CanopyCo" wrote:

Now am looking at one to hold my billfold so that it is more
comfortable to carry by making a pocket for it on my belt.

Pickpockets.
Safest place is in a front pocket IIRC.

Inside pocket in a zipped-up windbreaker.

I've had stuff stolen from a front pocket (they had to create an
artificial crush of people to get their hands in there).

Might try a "dummy" (bait) wallet in a hip pocket ...

Always do in high risk situations (more for potential muggings than
pickpockets). Never needed it yet, but someday..

$100 or so in small bills, other useless pocket litter, a few expired
cards etc.

That's just sad.

So now we're giving scumbags low hanging fruit for what reason again?

Snarl

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
D Murphy

"PrecisionMechanicaL" wrote in
news:gLWdnUaCkqUIxIvZnZ2dnUVZ_sSdnZ2d@scnresearch. com:

"JK" wrote in message

"PrecisionMechanical" wrote in message

"Kathy" wrote in message

and a good belt.

Ooops--maybe I shoulda been a plumber instead....

that would require wearing pants that shift half-way down your butt when

you
bend over ... ughhhhh!

Excepting for the wimmen -folk, ( who usually actually seem to enjoy
it )--only a friggen fag would taking more than a split-second's notice
anyways.......

Unless you're sighting up in order to drop in a couple of ice cubes out of
the beer cooler.

--

Dan

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionMechanical

"Kathy" wrote in message

and a good belt.

Ooops--maybe I shoulda been a plumber instead....

that would require wearing pants that shift half-way down your butt

when
you
bend over ... ughhhhh!

Excepting for the wimmen -folk, ( who usually actually seem to enjoy
it )--only a friggen fag would taking more than a split-second's notice
anyways.......

Unless you're sighting up in order to drop in a couple of ice cubes out of
the beer cooler.

Hehe..

Some smelly bait, by crackey !!!

--

SVL

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

On 14 Mar 2006 15:52:01 -0800, the renowned "CanopyCo"
wrote:

Cliff wrote:
On 14 Mar 2006 08:34:02 -0800, "CanopyCo" wrote:

Now am looking at one to hold my billfold so that it is more
comfortable to carry by making a pocket for it on my belt.

Pickpockets.
Safest place is in a front pocket IIRC.
--
Cliff

There is no pocket on my jeans that will be harder to get into then my
leather pouch with a fastened flap wore on the front of my belt next to
my buckle.

No one touches that area of me and is not noticed immediately.
Not that I allow anyone that close to me anyway.
I don't do pressing crowds.

They can create that situation with accomplices. It's very hard to
avoid once you're in a potential crush situation and once you've been
targeted.

BTW
$20 in $1 bills thrown in the air is pretty good at distracting muggers
while one runs away at high speed screaming like a little girl.

Most recent attempt at pick pocketing me, a comely female accomplice
attempted to distract on the left side, while this well dressed little
weasel tried to pick my right pants pocket (slacks, so he had a
chance). You should have seen him take off when I caught him..

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull

In article .com,
"CanopyCo" wrote:

BTW
$20 in $1 bills thrown in the air is pretty good at distracting muggers
while one runs away at high speed screaming like a little girl.

$20 in ammo aimed at the mugger works better

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Kathy

"D Murphy" wrote in message

Unless you're sighting up in order to drop in a couple of ice

cubes out of
the beer cooler.

I drop coins down there when I see the slot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:51:27 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:43:18 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Nick
Hull quickly quoth:

$20 in ammo aimed at the mugger works better

No, that would be considered an vicious execution which would make the
public wince at the sight of you. A buck's worth of ammo (a single,
well-placed round through the heart oughta do 'er) would be a good
low-key strategy with a better outcome for the potential muggee.

Dang, Larry, I don't know where you're buying ammo, but I'm sure glad I
have a Dillon. Wouldn't use it for CCW ammo (if my state allowed
it...grrr...) but a buck a round?!?!? What's your carry gun, a .50 BMG?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

wrote:

$100 or so in small bills, other useless pocket litter, a few expired
cards etc.

That's just sad.
So now we're giving scumbags low hanging fruit for what reason again?

I'm guessing that it's a case of "put the real wallet somewhere hard to
get to so they go for the decoy". That said, I'm guessing that werever
it is that they need to think like this, honest people are the only ones
not carrying concealed weapons. Just a guess. Criminals aren't as bold
when they know that their potential victims just might be able to fight
back effectively.

Where? In dangerous foreign countries. NEVER at home.

Last time someone was trying to set me up for an armed robbery, there
were three of them, and I think at least one handgun (probably knives
too). They were not very good at it-- I was with a group talking to
the lead guy who had a bit of English and every time he was talking
directly to me he had a big fake smile with all his bad Cambodian
teeth, but every time I looked away and looked back he was looking at
me like a really hungry dog looks at a steak. Quite unnerving.
Needless to say they tried but failed to get me off to a secluded path
for the robbery to go down (and there were lots of secluded areas).

A businessman recently told me of another kind of setup-- you're
walking along and you see a guy in front of you drop a package. A
stranger beside you goes up and grabs the package. It comes open and
there are wads and wads of cash dollars in there. He suggests you two
go somewhere private and split the money... you can guess the rest.
This guy was honest, and insisted the package be returned, so he got
to keep all his stuff. ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--Trouble with these things they assume you've got a waist and use a
belt to hold your pants up! Being, basically, a porker, I converted to
suspenders a few years back, heh.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Concave, convex, con
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : carne: all is Zen..
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:43:18 GMT, Nick Hull wrote:

In article .com,
"CanopyCo" wrote:

BTW
$20 in $1 bills thrown in the air is pretty good at distracting muggers
while one runs away at high speed screaming like a little girl.

$20 in ammo aimed at the mugger works better

The pickpocket/mugger already got your pretty gun, which may well
be aimed at you.
Made you a prime target (and for the police as well).
--
Cliff

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner
wrote on Tue, 14 Mar 2006 07:29:26 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 05:51:14 +0000, (DoN.
Nichols) wrote:

According to Randy Replogle :
I'm looking for a manly bag to carry my stuff: sunglasses, cell phone,
lunch, whatever. Not too big, not too petite. Any suggestions?

I have a belt-mounted leather pouch which contains calculators
(scientific and computer math types), pens, checkbooks, lots of small
screwdrivers, tire pressure gauge, pin vise, and several 6" steel
rules.

The cell phone (when I take it with me) lives in another belt
pouch, custom to it. Another belt pouch has the Gerber "switchblade
pliers", and yet another leather holster contains a Mini MagLite sized
LED flashlight. My keys also hang from a carabiner on my belt.

As should be obvious -- I'm not out to win fashion awards. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Crom.....you got more **** than Batman!!

He should go with a similar scheme to batman: pouches on a belt.

Or grab a trick from Uncle Samuel: Load Bearing Equipment. Comes in
Desert Tan, Dark Green and the ever popular Formal Eveningwear Black (goes
with just about everything.)

I used to just carry everything in a variation of book bag with
shoulder strap. But even then, there was more stuff being carried than
used. "The twelve tribes of Israel took less with them when they left
Egypt!"

tschus
pyotr

--
Pyotr Filipivich, sometimes Owl.
With a tight organization with a clear doctrine, coupled with
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull

In article ,
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

So now we're giving scumbags low hanging fruit for what reason again?

Snarl

The real danger of significant damage is from the guys who rob you
with a fountain pen.

The REAL thieves rob you with a 1040 form

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:10:42 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Nick
Hull quickly quoth:

In article ,
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

So now we're giving scumbags low hanging fruit for what reason again?

Snarl

The real danger of significant damage is from the guys who rob you
with a fountain pen.

The REAL thieves rob you with a 1040 form

Correction: OTHER real thieves rob you with 1040 forms. big sigh

Unfortunately, the term "Homo Sapiens" is a goal, not a description.
----
http://www.diversify.com Web Design for YOUR Business!
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
CanopyCo

John Husvar wrote:
In article .com,
"CanopyCo" wrote:

Cliff wrote:
[...]

Exactly.
Way to much paperwork involved in shooting them (as much as I would
prefer that direction, it would commonly just get me in trouble with
the larger gang in the area called LEO).

And on the subject: Every year, after a two-week-long SCA event, I have
to get used to distributing all the junk I kept easily in a pouch around
my body again.

That is the civil war reenacting isn't it?
They used to have some really nice pouches for ammo and such back then.
Any idea where I can get a reproduction now days?

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
CanopyCo

wrote:

Cliff wrote:
On 14 Mar 2006 08:34:02 -0800, "CanopyCo" wrote:

Now am looking at one to hold my billfold so that it is more
comfortable to carry by making a pocket for it on my belt.

Pickpockets.
Safest place is in a front pocket IIRC.
--
Cliff

There is no pocket on my jeans that will be harder to get into then my
leather pouch with a fastened flap wore on the front of my belt next to
my buckle.

No one touches that area of me and is not noticed immediately.
Not that I allow anyone that close to me anyway.
I don't do pressing crowds.

They can create that situation with accomplices. It's very hard to
avoid once you're in a potential crush situation and once you've been
targeted.

True, but my normal aversion to being in a tight crowd where anyone can
touch me also tends to make me highly aware of anyone touching me
anyplace where my valuables are located.

Kind of like at ATMs and urinals.
I don't like being crowded when I have my valuables out of my pants.
;-)

BTW
$20 in $1 bills thrown in the air is pretty good at distracting muggers
while one runs away at high speed screaming like a little girl.

Most recent attempt at pick pocketing me, a comely female accomplice
attempted to distract on the left side, while this well dressed little
weasel tried to pick my right pants pocket (slacks, so he had a
chance). You should have seen him take off when I caught him..

Been there.
The weasel did not actually get the chance to go for me, as I kept
getting distracted from the babe by him getting into my "zone".

Still don't know if he was up to no good, but that is what it looked
like to me later after I had time to think about it.

Also had a guy jump out of the bushes at me once.
It was dark, and I was walking across a campus.
I rounded a corner in my usual way (hugging the outside of the walk,
furthest form the potential hiding places) when this kid jumps out of
the bushes at me.

Startled me completely.
For every step he made toward me, I made a step back.
I am 6'3" tall and 220 lb and hike for fun.
My step is 3' long when I am moving, and when startled, I am moving.

We did 3 steps, stopped and he looked at me for a moment.
I am standing there looking at this 140 lb 5'6" kid thinking "what the
hell???" and he just turned around and ran off with me still standing
there thinking "what the hell just happened???".

Still don't actually know what was up, sense he had no weapon that I
could see.
He could have been waiting to startle some of his friends and just
mistook me for them or something.

Just don't know.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
CanopyCo

Nick Hull wrote:
In article .com,
"CanopyCo" wrote:

BTW
$20 in $1 bills thrown in the air is pretty good at distracting muggers
while one runs away at high speed screaming like a little girl.

$20 in ammo aimed at the mugger works better

If it were not for the paper work and dealing with the larger gang
called LEO, that would be my preferred option.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

Cliff wrote:
[...]

Well he ever walk again?

Last one that tried the dip on me, is now called Lefty

If you grasp the little finger and the index finger firmly, one in
each hand..smile to him/her reassuringly and gently tell them we'uns
do this at Thanksgiving every year..then treat the two fingers like a
wishbone from a turkey..it makes interesting sounds as the joints
seperate, then tendons snap and the fingers are either broken at the
hand or dislocate. If done with a sharp quick motion..it generally
also splits the skin (web) between the fingers in question and the
remaining fingers. Do it fast enough..and it seperates all the way
down into the hand.

Not only does the resulting mess take a very very long time to heal,
but the dexterity for a "dip" will never return, effectively forcing
them to either become ambidextrous, or seek alternative employment.

The resulting screaming does tend to attract attention, so be sure to
drop them quickly..and as they lay on the ground cradling the maimed
hand..put the heel of your boot on the other hand..and grind it into
the pavement. Now this may not be for the squeamish..as you realize
they have no way to wipe their ass for at least 4-6 months if not
longer

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

In article .com,
"CanopyCo" wrote:

John Husvar wrote:

And on the subject: Every year, after a two-week-long SCA event, I have
to get used to distributing all the junk I kept easily in a pouch around
my body again.

That is the civil war reenacting isn't it?
They used to have some really nice pouches for ammo and such back then.
Any idea where I can get a reproduction now days?

SCA is Middle Ages, Society for Creative Anachronism. Depending on who
you talk to, it's more or less based on recreating the Age of Chivalry
for research and educational purposes. It's Middle Ages the way we wish
they had been in a lot of instances.

Central heat, hot showers, antibiotics, etc. are kind of nice.

If you check for SCA on Ebay, you'll probably find many different items
related to that.

Pouches are sold by many merchants. Google for SCA pouches or SCA
supplies and you'll get tons of hits..

There are probably just as many people selling Civil War gear or
Mountain Man gear as well.

Take a look at a Google search for Civil War reenactment supplies.
sutler.com is right at the top.

Mountain Man reenactment supplies yields about 230,000 hits.

Lots to choose from. I recommend contacting Swordmoon Productions and
see if they can make exactly what you might want as a custom item.
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
CanopyCo

John Husvar wrote:
In article .com,
"CanopyCo" wrote:

John Husvar wrote:

[...]

Too Cool!
Thanks!
Tuns of cool stuff to go threw.
Already got a new idea for one that I can make myself, and am still
going threw them. :-)

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Randy Replogle wrote:

I'm looking for a manly bag to carry my stuff: sunglasses, cell phone,
lunch, whatever. Not too big, not too petite. Any suggestions?
Randy Replogle

Back in myroad warrior days I saw that a lot of manly men in Europe
carried small handbags and I picked up the habit. I haven't regretted it.

I still use a small bag like the third one down on this page:

http://tinyurl.com/el7sz

I don't give a ****e what anyone says about it, even if they call it a
"fag bag". I keep my cellphone, leatherman tool, comb, wallet,
passport, medicines, discount coupons and lots of other stuff in it.

I often just stick my wallet in my pocket and stash the bag gets under
the driver's seat of my car when I'm heading into a store.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:36:54 -0500, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I keep my cellphone, leatherman tool, comb, wallet,
passport, medicines, discount coupons and lots of other stuff in it.

You have too much "stuff".
--
Cliff

Sheldon lathe guys Bill Metalworking 9 April 17th 20 12:32 AM
"TUBE GUYS" - Found this Pocket tube Tester In the Rafters - Please comment Bobby Longsocks Electronics Repair 14 June 24th 04 08:03 PM
OK, smart guys PhysicsGenius Metalworking 21 January 24th 04 05:59 PM
O.T. Those ATF guys are silly Gunner Metalworking 19 December 24th 03 03:02 PM
HOW DO YOU GUYS FIGURE PROFIT? Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT Woodworking 26 September 29th 03 01:46 AM