Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default Lanthanated tungstens for TIG welding steel

I finally got around to trying the 2% lanthanated tungstens.

They rock! Excellent arc stability and shape retention with DCSP.
A filet weld of thick to thin was easy peasy, puddle control was about
a nobrainer because the arc went exactly where I aimed it.

YMMV.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi

Don,
Yes, they work very well, but they are no longer available in Europe. They
are considered too dangerous (Hazmat) and are now illegal.
Steve

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
news
I finally got around to trying the 2% lanthanated tungstens.

They rock! Excellent arc stability and shape retention with DCSP.
A filet weld of thick to thin was easy peasy, puddle control was about
a nobrainer because the arc went exactly where I aimed it.

YMMV.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 09:42:40 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Don,
Yes, they work very well, but they are no longer available in Europe. They
are considered too dangerous (Hazmat) and are now illegal.
Steve

You sure about that, Steve? I think lanthanated is preferred for
safety over Thorium, which is mildly radioactive. I wonder if it
isn't the Thoriated tungstens that are considered hazmat.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
StaticsJason

How much do you want for them?

"Ignoramus27983" wrote in message
I have 3/16" 2% lanthanated tungstens for sale

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 01:30:55 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:
I finally got around to trying the 2% lanthanated tungstens.

They rock! Excellent arc stability and shape retention with DCSP.
A filet weld of thick to thin was easy peasy, puddle control was about
a nobrainer because the arc went exactly where I aimed it.

YMMV.

Gas Welding aluminum Brent Philion Metalworking 31 January 24th 06 05:37 AM
TIG welding Dave Sage Metalworking 17 April 4th 05 06:36 PM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM
Would welding the steel in re-enforced concrete add any value? BigWallop UK diy 3 July 12th 03 06:25 PM