DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wanted: cnc or waterjet machine time (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/147952-wanted-cnc-waterjet-machine-time.html)

Bandit March 7th 06 02:52 PM

Wanted: cnc or waterjet machine time

Hi guys,
I have a project going on that I cannot do at work without getting into
trouble-(NO IT'S NOT ILLEGAL). Reason: The problem is that I have to go
into another department to do the machining and the employees that work
in that dept have the mind set of an 8yr old. I have also tried at some
local machine shops and their busy doing other work and or the quantity
that I have isn't big enough to meet their minimums. I am located in
the Northern Detroit, MI Suburbs area.

If you are interested and you have time and would like to quote me
costs I can be reached at Tonkstoys(at)peoplepc(Dot)com for further
info. Thanks Tracy

Ned Simmons March 7th 06 04:22 PM

Wanted: cnc or waterjet machine time

In article .com,
says...
Hi guys,
I have a project going on that I cannot do at work without getting into
trouble-(NO IT'S NOT ILLEGAL). Reason: The problem is that I have to go
into another department to do the machining and the employees that work
in that dept have the mind set of an 8yr old.

When trying to establish a new relationship it's generally not a good
idea to complain about and insult individuals from previous
relationships. This is true whether you're shopping for a machine shop
or looking to get laid.

If I don't know either party in the sort of situation you've described,
I figure someone involved is jerk, and it's even odds whether it's the
complainer or the peron being criticized.

If you do find someone who's responsive to this approach, you probably
don't want to do business with them anyway.

Ned Simmons

S Young March 7th 06 05:24 PM

Bandit wrote:
Hi guys,
I have a project going on that I cannot do at work without getting into
trouble-(NO IT'S NOT ILLEGAL). Reason: The problem is that I have to go
into another department to do the machining and the employees that work
in that dept have the mind set of an 8yr old. I have also tried at some
local machine shops and their busy doing other work and or the quantity
that I have isn't big enough to meet their minimums. I am located in
the Northern Detroit, MI Suburbs area.

If you are interested and you have time and would like to quote me
costs I can be reached at Tonkstoys(at)peoplepc(Dot)com for further
info. Thanks Tracy

If it's not illegal, why won't the company allow you to do company work
on a company machine? If this is the case, you have idiots for managers.
Wait a minute - maybe it's NOT a company job we're talking about? Is it
a personal project you're trying to do on the company's equipment? If
so, I'll bet it IS illegal as far as company policy goes...

Bandit March 7th 06 09:47 PM

Wanted: cnc or waterjet machine time

If it's not illegal, why won't the company allow you to do _company work_
on a company machine? If this is the case, you have idiots for managers.

Even though it's personal the managers don't want anyone to do any type
of _personal work_ (even if it may enhance the workers skills) in the
fear of showing that you the worker may acutally know what you are
actually doing and are possibly are the next in line for the managers
job. The managers are in a SERIOUS powerstruggle. IF you worked there
you'd understand!

Wait a minute - maybe it's NOT a company job we're talking about? Is it
a personal project you're trying to do on the company's equipment? If
so, I'll bet it IS illegal as far as company policy goes...

Yes, IT is a personal job project (in a UNION SHOP) and not a "company
job" that I am looking to complete, plus cnc would be faster and more
precise in the long run.

Bandit March 7th 06 09:52 PM

Wanted: cnc or waterjet machine time

Thanks, Ned,

I wasn't trying to sound like I was complaining, I was trying to set
the stage for an understanding of my prediciament. I guess that I was
too informative, SORRY to hurt your feelings and my posible business
proposition. T

Ned Simmons March 8th 06 01:42 AM

Wanted: cnc or waterjet machine time

In article . com,
says...
Thanks, Ned,

I wasn't trying to sound like I was complaining, I was trying to set
the stage for an understanding of my prediciament. I guess that I was
too informative, SORRY to hurt your feelings and my posible business
proposition. T

But now you've improved your standing by responding in a thoughtful
manner to my admittedly terse (but well intentioned) response. I was a
bit out of patience from dealing with a difficult person today myself.

Consequently, I'm prepared to change the odds on who's being
unreasonable in your work situation to 80/20 in your favor g.

Ned Simmons

Speechless March 8th 06 05:14 AM

On 7 Mar 2006 13:47:00 -0800, "Bandit" wrote:

Yes, IT is a personal job project (in a UNION SHOP) and not a "company
job" that I am looking to complete, plus cnc would be faster and more
precise in the long run.

If the issue is getting some CNC work done, why don't you make it a
"company job"? Approach the general manager during coffee break,
explain what you want done, and ask him to give you an official quote.
Make it a business proposition between yourself and your company. All
the companies I've worked at would do employee work at cost as a
matter of corporate policy. Just be aware that "at cost" in a factory
is a lot more than just the hourly wage of the machine operator --
you'd better be sitting down when you receive the quote.

Carl March 9th 06 01:35 AM

Wanted: cnc or waterjet machine time

I bet someone from the [waterjets] Yahoo group could help you:

http://www.waterjets.org/egroup.html

If not, here is a spot to find local shops in your area:

http://www.waterjets.org/waterjet_jobshops.html

Or

http://www.omax.com/jobshop.php

Hope this helps,

Carl.

PS: Sorry if this post is a duplicate. The first post errored out on
me.

Carl March 9th 06 01:52 AM

Wanted: cnc or waterjet machine time

Tracy,

You might ask this question on the [waterjets] Yahoo discussion group:

http://www.waterjets.org/egroup.html

I bet one of the 1500 members would take you up on the offer.

Or, contact job shops directly at:

Bandit March 9th 06 02:14 AM

Wanted: cnc or waterjet machine time

Thanks Carl! TraCY