DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Usiing hydraulic motor to power mower (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/147554-usiing-hydraulic-motor-power-mower.html)

CRL March 5th 06 12:43 AM

Usiing hydraulic motor to power mower

I'm trying to run a mower deck with a hydraulic motor. It spins @ 90 rpm
and I need to provide 2200 rpm. I was planning on #60 chain @ 4:1 from
motor to a jackshaft then single belt @ 6:1 to get the speed up. Will this
work or do I need to re-think? Thanks in advance!

Bob March 5th 06 12:46 AM

Usiing hydraulic motor to power mower

Might be cheaper, certainly easier, to get a surplus hydraulic motor
with the desired RPM in the first place.

JR North March 5th 06 01:15 AM

Usiing hydraulic motor to power mower

Uh...that's 1:24 overdrive. Depending on the HP and motor size, the
torque loss will be huge, and your not likely to cut much, if anything.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

CRL wrote:
I'm trying to run a mower deck with a hydraulic motor. It spins @ 90 rpm
and I need to provide 2200 rpm. I was planning on #60 chain @ 4:1 from
motor to a jackshaft then single belt @ 6:1 to get the speed up. Will this
work or do I need to re-think? Thanks in advance!

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Roy March 5th 06 03:00 PM

Usiing hydraulic motor to power mower

I made a sidearm cutter one time for my Ford 1720 compact tractor
powered by a 5 h p gas engine. At the time I made it I did not have
remote hydraulics on my tractor, but powering a mower deck on an angle
wa aiffy situation. I later acquired a PTO driven hydraulic pump which
opened up a lot of different avenues to do things as far as hydraulics
is concerned. I zeroed in on a stash of hydraulic motors I had laying
aorund unused, and after a ot of experimenting in avenues that I had
not much of a clue in, I finally got one that worked just perfect to
power up a mower deck. It about maxes out my hyd pump in regards top
gph flow needed. I am lost when it comes to gph, and the torque
ratings, and have no clue what my motor is rated at as there is no
data plate etc on it. I owuld definately go with a motor that needs no
further reduction or increase, for best results.... Checkout surplus
center as they have a heap of hydraulic motors.

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....

Jon Elson March 5th 06 06:19 PM

CRL wrote:
I'm trying to run a mower deck with a hydraulic motor. It spins @ 90 rpm
and I need to provide 2200 rpm. I was planning on #60 chain @ 4:1 from
motor to a jackshaft then single belt @ 6:1 to get the speed up. Will this
work or do I need to re-think? Thanks in advance!

90 RPM? Are you sure about that? Most hydraulic motors turn
QUITE a bit faster than that, usually in the 1000 RPM range.
If it has a gear train on the output, can you remove the gearbox?

Jon

clare at snyder.on.ca March 5th 06 07:34 PM

Usiing hydraulic motor to power mower

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 12:19:51 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

CRL wrote:
I'm trying to run a mower deck with a hydraulic motor. It spins @ 90 rpm
and I need to provide 2200 rpm. I was planning on #60 chain @ 4:1 from
motor to a jackshaft then single belt @ 6:1 to get the speed up. Will this
work or do I need to re-think? Thanks in advance!

90 RPM? Are you sure about that? Most hydraulic motors turn
QUITE a bit faster than that, usually in the 1000 RPM range.
If it has a gear train on the output, can you remove the gearbox?

Jon

Sounds like a hydraulic steering servo motor. Can't remember the
generic name offhand - something like orbital.

Ned Simmons March 5th 06 09:46 PM

Usiing hydraulic motor to power mower

In article ,
says...
CRL wrote:
I'm trying to run a mower deck with a hydraulic motor. It spins @ 90 rpm
and I need to provide 2200 rpm. I was planning on #60 chain @ 4:1 from
motor to a jackshaft then single belt @ 6:1 to get the speed up. Will this
work or do I need to re-think? Thanks in advance!

90 RPM? Are you sure about that? Most hydraulic motors turn
QUITE a bit faster than that, usually in the 1000 RPM range.
If it has a gear train on the output, can you remove the gearbox?

The motor is almost certainly an orbiting gerotor type motor. Common as
dirt on mobile equipment. The low speed, high torque output is inherent
in the design, which resembles that of a cycloidal reducer.

I built a large test stand and automation for building a few flavors of
the motors 15-20 years ago.

http://www.parker.com/nichport/about_gerotors.asp

Ned Simmons